Respected Contributor

I have a very specific question for those who use or have used RetinA.

Lip dryness!

I use the lowest % cream based RetinA  up around my temple/eyebrow area ONLY.  I use it 2 x a week and the day after, up to 2 days- my lips become so dry they hurt. The skin on my lips literally peels off.

I stopped for a month, just to see if it was something else causing the problem (weather, humidity, products).  

And sure enough after starting back after1 use and my lips started to peel again????

The area I apply the RetinA is fine- no dryness, redness, etc

Has anyone else experienced this?

Does it go away?

Trusted Contributor

To combat lip dryness and chapping, I love Sara Happ lip scrub and Lip Slip. I know everyone will tell you the Lip Slip is sticky and it is. I only use it before I go to bed but that's the only time I need it. My lips do not get dry during the day. If they do I put a tiny but on and they're fine. I will not be without it. I had lip balms in every room, every purse, pocket,drawer, and they were worthless. 

Honored Contributor

That's weird because I have kinda the same thing. I put on my retinol serum and then go into another room and by the time I get there my lips are so dry they feel parched. This happens every night. Granted I used it over my lip line area, but NEVER touch my lips so I just can't figure it out. I use the Beekman lip salve and it's gone.

Honored Contributor

This is what I think might be happening...normally when you apply just moisturizer, getting some on your lips is no big deal and probably not a bad thing either because it moisturizes them. However, when you apply Retin-A then you avoid getting it on your lips at all costs and your lips are left dry without anything on them. I like to put my lip balm on before Retin-A then even if I accidentally get the RA on my lips a little bit, it won't be a big deal.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

This has never happened to me however I always keep something emollient on my lips. There so many good ones out there. My preference is Skinn's 6x Lip Balm. You want something that will stick to your lips throughout the day. As much as I like Josie Maran, her lip balms are awful IMO. Hope that all of the suggestions made to you will help.

Occasional Contributor

You are probably already doing this, but make sure you are washing your hands after applying Retin A to remove any residual product. Also, are you going close to your eyebrows? If so, try not to. You sinuses are all connected. It is possible that some of the product is traveling down to your lips. Lastly, are you applying moisturizers on your face after RetinA. If so, avoid your lip area. The moisturizers could be spreading the RetinA down to your lips. Avoid your lips and nose (entrance to your nose). I might recommend you put on a separate lip cream before you apply RetinA.  Good luck.If you stick with it, RetinA has some amazing benefits. Well worth the effort. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your responses.

I actually have a good lip program and have no problem with dryness and peeling UNLESS I use RetinA  any where.

Like a PP said it is like an instant parched lip syndrome.

I do wash my hands thoroughly after application and when I apply my moisturizer after the RetinA I start from the bottom of my face and work my way UP to avoid accidental transfer near my lips.

It is so very strange!!!!

New Contributor

I have used RetinA daily  since 1982. What I find is that the creme seems gentler than the gel . I have used the 1% in both forms. For me, the redness and peeling went away immediately. Right now, I am using the generic because of price although this has gone up 300% in two years.