Super Contributor

Do you use it on your neck? Do you dilute it with moisturizer? Have you noticed improvements 

Valued Contributor

My neck was too sensitive to use retin-a on the neck.  I bought the Peter Thomas Roth retinol night serum and use it every night now.  My neck is so soft and looks terrific.  It really has made a wonderul difference.

Honored Contributor

Yes. I use RA on my neck and dec without anything else. It has made the skin very smooth. But I also use a microneedle there, too. Fyi...the skin on your neck does not have as many retinoid receptors in it as does the skin on your face. Because your neck has less retionoid receptors, you may not see much improvement on your neck, even over time. For many people using RA on the neck is just irritating.

Respected Contributor

I have tried repeatedly to use Retin A on my neck but it breaks my neck out and it becomes very irritated. So I have given up trying. I know I could probably use a light moisturizer first but that would be dilute the strength of the Retin A. My favorite anti ager for the neck is sunscreen.

Valued Contributor

Sunscreen is essential, I do agree.  However, as far as Retin-A goes, a derm on Doctor Radio from NYU Langone Medical Center said that it is wise to treat the neck early and often because there aren't many derm techniques that help the neck.  She recommneded using sunscreen every single day and getting a good retinol product to use on the neck--one you can use every day.  She said that most retinol products from the cosmetics industry wrap the retinol in molecules to make them less irritating and add things like vitamin C to make the retinol work better. She said to go to a place like "S" store (I thought she meant Sephora) and buy a good retinol for the neck.  Since QVC also has PTR, I bought his and am glad I took her advice.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't use Retin-A, so can't speak to that.   I've used a Retinol Cream on my face and neck for 15-20 years.   I use a firming cream on my neck in the morning, and Retinol at night.  I've never had any irritation on my neck.  I also don't have any crepe paper skin or wrinkles on my neck at age 70.  I know it will happen, but I'll delay the inevitable as long as possible.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

Microneedling

Painful? Which one did you buy

Honored Contributor

Re: Retin A for the neck

[ Edited ]

@Beautiful life wrote:

Microneedling

Painful? Which one did you buy

I apply a numbing cream. I use a dermastamp, not a roller, on my neck once monthly. I buy it from WhiteLotusBeauty dot com...$65 for one stamp device. @Beautiful life 

ETA- WhiteLotus stamps last over a year. Most other stamps usually last about 3 months, maybe a little longer if they are a good quality stainlelss steel, not titanium. 

Super Contributor

What numbing cream do you use? What results have you seen?

thank you 

Honored Contributor

Re: Retin A for the neck

[ Edited ]

@Beautiful life wrote:

What numbing cream do you use? What results have you seen?

thank you 

I use Uber Numb 5% lidocaine. But you can use other 5% products....just make sure it is non-oily so that it can be rinsed off quickly with water. Dermastamping my neck has made the skin much tighter...I was starting to see some loose skin just under my chin but that is gone now. Crepiness and 'tech-neck' wrinkles are gone, too. @Beautiful life  

The best thing to do is to have a needling session done by a pro. That way you can see how it's done, ask questions and see how it turns out. That's what I did and then I purchased a book before I ever started doing it on myself. Needling is not for everyone and it has to be done correctly with taking safety precautions along with it.

ETA - Uber Numb was recalled back in Oct 2018 because their containers were not child-proof. So if you are trying to find it and have had no success, that is why. I just found out about this myself.