Super Contributor

Retin-A and going up in strength

I have been using Retin-A in the 0.25 strength for at least 5-6 years.  I have read there isn't a reason to go up in strength, but then why are their higher strengths?  Are they higher ones more effective?  I use the glycolic acid from Alpha Hydrox in the 12% strength, so my skin is not very sensitive.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Retin-A and going up in strength

I don't know much about this but awhile back I asked my derm about retin a and if I remember correctly, she says she recommends the strength you've been using for anti-aging and the stronger ones for acne. I've also read that supposedly there is no benefit in going up (i.e. that going up in strength is not going to make the deeper more stubborn wrinkles go away or make your skin look better) but like you, then I don't understand any reason there are higher % unless it is related only to acne issues?

Honored Contributor

I don't have a good answer for you either.  When my dermatologist first prescribed it for me, I was given the highest strength cream right off the bat.  I had some facial moles removed and was prescribed the Retin-A to prevent scarring during the healing process.  I've remained at the 0.1% ever since, but only use it a few times a week.  As a layman, I would automatically think that a stronger form of something would be more effective than a weaker one.  Now and then, I think about dropping down a level but since my face is accustomed to the stronger one, I wonder if the weaker would even work for me at this point.

Trusted Contributor

My derm, back when I had one, told me the higher strength was for acne.  For use in anti-aging the weakest is just as effective and he did not recommend increasing.  So I've remained on it for 8 years.  I use it every night, but in the beginning I only used twice a week and slowly working up to nightly. I also use more now with no ill effect but only because it is easier to spread it around using more than the "pea size" amount which was first instructed.  I still don't slather though, lol!  Just a little more generous. 

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Frequent Contributor

@Pianomama wrote:

I have been using Retin-A in the 0.25 strength for at least 5-6 years.  I have read there isn't a reason to go up in strength, but then why are their higher strengths?  Are they higher ones more effective?  I use the glycolic acid from Alpha Hydrox in the 12% strength, so my skin is not very sensitive.  Thanks.

Hi Pianomama,  I am wondering how you use Alpha Hydrox with Retin A.  Do you use one in the morning and the other at night?  Thanks!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My derm first prescribed Renova (.025% retin-A in a moisturizing base) about 15 years ago for me. I've used it every night for that entire time (except the first 2 or 3 weeks when I had to build up to it, of course) and it's been incredble for my skin, specific to anti-aging. 

When I first started, she handed me all the literature, including summaries of the double blind clinicial studies that had been done worldwide for more than 20 years. Every single study showed that for anti-aging benefits, the lowest dose was the most beneficial. (Acne was a different issue, different set of studies.) 

In sum, the studies specific to anti-aging showed that when higher percentages were used, skin became irritated eventually (in X number of years) for all users and therefore all users of higher percentages decreased their usage, making the treatment less effective.  And, even more interesting, studies showed that higher percentages did nothing different for the skin than the lowest percentage did in terms of cell turnover, lessening of discoloration, reduction of wrinkles, etc.

That's what I know from my derm and from reading the medical studies data.

Honored Contributor

I am over 50 with very oily acne prone skin and very few wrinkles.  My derm prescribed .025 for me last year to help with acne and aging.  I started every other night and then nightly.  I had no positive or negative effects at all after using the tube.  I saw her again yesterday for my yearly check, and she prescribed .1% for me to try.  Hopefully, the stronger concentration will help keep my skin clearer.

Respected Contributor

From what I understand going up in strength does not do much if you are using it for anti-aging. If you are using it for acne and need a higher dose, it will help. I have been using Retin A for almost 20 years for anti-aging. I started out with 0.5 and had no issues at all. So I had my boss(worked for a doc) bump me up to 0.1. At that time we both thought it might be more beneficial. I cannot say for sure if it was better than 0.5 but my skin does not look bad for my age which is 65. I don't have deep wrinkles but do have fine lines. My skin is very smooth though.

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

My derm first prescribed Renova (.025% retin-A in a moisturizing base) about 15 years ago for me. I've used it every night for that entire time (except the first 2 or 3 weeks when I had to build up to it, of course) and it's been incredble for my skin, specific to anti-aging. 

When I first started, she handed me all the literature, including summaries of the double blind clinicial studies that had been done worldwide for more than 20 years. Every single study showed that for anti-aging benefits, the lowest dose was the most beneficial. (Acne was a different issue, different set of studies.) 

In sum, the studies specific to anti-aging showed that when higher percentages were used, skin became irritated eventually (in X number of years) for all users and therefore all users of higher percentages decreased their usage, making the treatment less effective.  And, even more interesting, studies showed that higher percentages did nothing different for the skin than the lowest percentage did in terms of cell turnover, lessening of discoloration, reduction of wrinkles, etc.

That's what I know from my derm and from reading the medical studies data.

Yes this is the same information I had gotten from my derm awhile back and what I've read. Great info, thanks for sharing!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nona, I use the Alpha Hydrox souffle in the a.m.and Retin-A in the p.m.

Btw, I changed me name from pianomama to Chihuahuamom.