Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Retin-A and going up in strength

@AspenGrove wrote:

@MariotaMurielle wrote:

I've been using this % for years too and I'm very happy with this as a maintenance dose. I would like to know from you or anyone else with Retin-A experience, can it be safely used (and is it beneficial) for the under eye area? 

@MariotaMurielle, Yes, it can be used safely and is very beneficial under the eye area and crows feet area. My derm approved that for me long ago. It's all I use every night. Tiny bit goes a long way.

thank you for your reply. as I said, I've used it for years but for some reason I thought I should avoid the undereye area. so glad to know I can use it there too.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@chihuahuamom@winamac1@Day1128

My experience has been that .025% Renova (it has moisturizers -- good ones-- in it) worked so well for me for years and years.

I have tried several times to use .1% only to find either a red rash under my eyes or thick scaly skin which then peels off.

The .1% gel works very well for actinic keratosis, tho, and probably works well for hands.  However, I forget the hands and also, once dark splotches lighten, I then forget to follow up by using sunscreen!

I just use the regular .025 Retin A.   I think I tried Renova, but now I just use Retin A--lowest strength in the cream formula and put argan oil or DDML (Clinique) over it when dry.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Regarding the concentration of tretinoin, there was a 48-week medical study that compared 0.1% and 0.025% tretinoin creams. The results of the study showed "After 48 weeks, 0.1% and 0.025% tretinoin produced similar statistically significant epidermal thickening (by 30% and 28%, respectively) and increased vascularity (by 100% and 89%, respectively). By various analyses, irritant side effects (erythema and scaling) were statistically significantly greater with 0.1% tretinoin than with 0.025% tretinoin."

You can read about the study here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7544967

Super Contributor

HI There

I have been doing my research and last night for the very first time I got Renova and started. I did use Retinol in the past and hoping for the best with this!  I am glad to hear you have had such good results.  I am going to try every other night. Do you use Vit C in the morning etc.. Any words of advice please let me know. I did use it with the Obagi blend FX. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have also been using the .025( Renova) generic for years.  I asked the derm last year if it was okay to use under the eyes and she said 'Yes'.  I think I've heard it can lessen the dark circles.  The most important Retin A tip (that I learned the hard way) is wait a good 10-15 minutes after cleansing and then apply Retin A.  Your skin has to be totally dry or you will have a nasty peeling and redness look. I've also started using it on my hands for dark spots.  How long does it take to show improvement?

Honored Contributor

@chrissj wrote:

Yes, I have also been using the .025( Renova) generic for years.  I asked the derm last year if it was okay to use under the eyes and she said 'Yes'.  I think I've heard it can lessen the dark circles.  The most important Retin A tip (that I learned the hard way) is wait a good 10-15 minutes after cleansing and then apply Retin A.  Your skin has to be totally dry or you will have a nasty peeling and redness look. I've also started using it on my hands for dark spots.  How long does it take to show improvement?

It takes awhile to see improvement especially on the hands.  Make sure you use SPF on the back of your hands too.