Respected Contributor

I have an appointment with a derm in about a month and I'm wondering if he'll start me on Retin-A to address some concerns I have.  I'm currently using a Clarisonic every night.  Do any of you gals on Retin-A still use a Clarisonic or does your skin become too sensitive to use it when you're on Retin-A? TIA

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

I have an appointment with a derm in about a month and I'm wondering if he'll start me on Retin-A to address some concerns I have.  I'm currently using a Clarisonic every night.  Do any of you gals on Retin-A still use a Clarisonic or does your skin become too sensitive to use it when you're on Retin-A? TIA

If your derm starts you on Retin A, be sure to let her know you also use Clarisonic. I alternate nights since they both exfoliate the skin, both aren't necessary on the same night. I'm sure when (& if) you begin Retin A, it'll be a low concentration and only a few nights a weeks since most people experience redness/irritation. I'd stop using the Clarisonic until your skin adjusts to the Retin A. See what the derm says. 

Trusted Contributor

@Texasmouse Actually the Clarisonic is a cleansing brush.  You should mention that you use it though.  It will have some minor surface buffing of sorts on your skin.  May actually help your skin if you peel a little from initial retin A use.

Trusted Contributor

Most models come with the sensitive brush head. I'd switch to that if you're not already using it. Maybe skip it if you don't wear makeup one day. I use both & it's been fine.

Honored Contributor

I've used both for years, with good results.  Cleanse with clarisonic, wait 20 min. and apply Retin - A.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

My derm told me it was ok to use my Retin A and Clarisonic at the same time as long as I wasn't experiencing irritation. I have been on Retin A for over 20 years so my skin is adjusted to it. However, I would follow what your derm recommends to you. I usually only my Clarisonic 4 times a week.

Honored Contributor

Re: Retin-A and Clarisonic?

[ Edited ]

OK--the Clarisonic DOES NOT exfoliate your skin!!! It cleans your skin--if it feels like it exfoliates then you are using the wrong brush or are using way too much pressure. I have called Clarisonic CS about this claim and they have said, it is a cleaning not exfoliation !!! I am 63 with very dry sensitive skin. I use PTR retinol every night and use my Mia at night only and no problems at all. My skin has always been great and at this age it is even better, but do consult with your derm dr. I told mine what I do and she said, keep it up. I EXFOLIATE 2x a week, not using the clarisonic, just my hands. I use the sensitive and the radiance brushes.