Occasional Contributor

Request recommendations for nail polishing

Hello to all and Merry CHRISTmas! I never take the time to polish my fingernails, but now have the urge to do so. I would appreciate any recommendations for base and top coats. I feel as though I have decent nails and worry about harming and discoloring them if I begin to polish them randomly. I do polish my toenails in the spring and summer, but give them a break in the winter. Thank you in advance for your assistance. May God bless each of you! 

Valued Contributor

Re: Request recommendations for nail polishing

[ Edited ]

@luckywife, I'm no expert on nails either, but one item I found that I really love is this one:

Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat.  It is made to penetrate through to the base coat, bonded the various layers of polish together strongly, adding a shine as the top coat, and preventing chips in the polish so it wears longer.  I don't do my nails without it, any more.  You can research it on sites such as amazon to see what customers say about it.  

Happy Holidays!

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Frequent Contributor

My favorite drugstore base/top coat combo is Sally Hansen Diamond Shine. It works really well. I applied this under and over my current polish on 12/13 and it now starting to show signs of extreme chipping. Not bad for a drugstore brand. Also I use OPI polishes exclusively, so I do use good polish to begin with.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Top coat either Poshe or Sally Hansen Mega Shine Extended Wear in the mirrored bottle. Seche Vite cant even come close to the wonderful results from these two, dries in one minute and so smooth it even covers imperfections in your manicure. Base coat Sally Hansen Miracle Growth Treatent, gold bottle, gold top, so very good for natural nails and use a coat of CND Stickey over that, to help seal your colored polish in and prevent chipping. Trust me on these recs, I have had natural nails my whole life, long and strong and tried everything.

Trusted Contributor

OPI - Nail Envy . -
Trusted Contributor

OPI - Nail Envy . -

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Essie "Gel-Setter" Top Coat puts a beautiful, shiny finish on any polish.  It makes my nails look like they're done with a professional gel polish.  Sometimes I just wear it by itself for a beautiful natural-looking shine.

gelsetter detail.png 

Trusted Contributor

Out the Door for top coat. They sell a huge 4 oz bottle I think it is on Amazon for very cheap.

Orly bonder for base  coat.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

I have the best luck with OPI nail polish.

For me, Creative Nail Design Air Dry Top Coat keeps my nails looking good for days.

Trusted Contributor

I wish I could take pictures of my nails.  I have had excellent results in keeping my nails long and strong.  

I bought an OPI kit back in May from the southern channel.  It came with the Nail Envy, polish remover, cuticle treatment, top coat and a variety of their popular nail polish.

Love this stuff.