Honored Contributor

Report finds many sunscreens contain much lower SPF than they claim

[ Edited ]

Interesting article on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/18/health/sunscreen-false-spf-claims-on-labels/index.html

And an interesting tidbit:

"Products with SPF greater than 30 provide only marginally better protection. While SPF 30 blocks 97% of UVB rays, SPF 50 and 100 block 98% and 99% of rays, respectively.

The real benefit comes from frequent -- and liberal -- application, ideally every two hours.
The American Academy of Dermatology recommends using an amount of sunscreen that is roughly equivalent to the size of the palm of your hand and applying it all over your body."

I know some posters on these forums seem to think that using a chemical sunscreen makes it so you don't have to reapply your sunscreen every two hours but that simply is not true according to all the studies out there.

And yet another:

"Why did some sunscreens fare poorly?

One reason for the discrepancy could be differences between how Consumer Reports and sunscreen manufacturers tested the products.
For the new study, researchers tested the ability of a sunscreen to protect participants from sunburn for 80 minutes after they had been soaked in water, whereas manufacturers tend to assess sunscreen performance on people who have not gotten wet.

......'My impression all along has been that the sunscreen industry is involved in a game of numbers to sell more products, by having a higher SPF rating on their tubes," he said. Rokhsar suggests the FDA keep a closer eye on the industry, like it does on the pharmaceutical industry, to ensure more rigorous testing.'"

Honored Contributor

Re: Report finds many sunscreens contain much lower SPF than they claim

@HappyDaze - thx for posting.

The need to reapply SPF frequently is the main reason for my quest to find something I can reapply over makeup when I'm out all day.

And equally important while at the beach or pool. Waterproof doesn't mean it lasts all day or even after a quick swim, need to reapply often.

Yes, anything over SPF 30 is not 'more effective'. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

The need to reapply SPF frequently is the main reason for my quest to find something I can reapply over makeup when I'm out all day.

And equally important while at the beach or pool. Waterproof doesn't mean it lasts all day or even after a quick swim, need to reapply often.

@Chi-town girl yes I thought of your post when I read that part about re-applying and I know many know you are suppose to re-apply but many still do not. Many think that if they aren't sweating or, as I mentioned, if they use chemical sunscreens they don't need to re-apply but that just isn't true! 

I had also seen the MD sunscreen demo you posted about and it is intriguing to be able to apply that over makeup but I also wondered if this is true with powder foundation because they really didn't say. I also went and read a bunch of reviews on the product on Sephora.com and other sites that sell it an the reviews were so mixed it made me hesitate trying it. Maybe I will see if they have some at Sephora and try a sample first before taking the plunge since it is pricey. I just worry about the slickness they mentioned in many reviews- I really don't like that super silicone-y slick feeling many primers (like smashbox's primers). And oddly, some reviews said it made them more oily looking and yet others said it dried their skin out so go figure!! lol

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure "newest" blurb about sunscreens is very old news. Seems like I read about this a few years ago, and was/am using the brands they suggested in this report. Those folks gotta clean out their old files!!!!

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@Chi-town girl yes I thought of your post when I read that part about re-applying and I know many know you are suppose to re-apply but many still do not. Many think that if they aren't sweating or, as I mentioned, if they use chemical sunscreens they don't need to re-apply but that just isn't true! 

I had also seen the MD sunscreen demo you posted about and it is intriguing to be able to apply that over makeup but I also wondered if this is true with powder foundation because they really didn't say. I also went and read a bunch of reviews on the product on Sephora.com and other sites that sell it an the reviews were so mixed it made me hesitate trying it. Maybe I will see if they have some at Sephora and try a sample first before taking the plunge since it is pricey. I just worry about the slickness they mentioned in many reviews- I really don't like that super silicone-y slick feeling many primers (like smashbox's primers). And oddly, some reviews said it made them more oily looking and yet others said it dried their skin out so go figure!! lol

@HappyDaze - I'm  glad you posted this info. Appreciate the addtl details about the MDS product. I don't like the idea of putting a cream or serum type product over my makeup, esp when I'm in between appointments.  I want to keep the look + add protection. Leaning toward the Colorscience since it's powder and in a convenient applicator. Glad to see more competitive options. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

@wagirl

which brands were recommended?

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@wagirl

@Andreatoo

From the article:

"The top five sunscreen lotions, according to the report, are:
  • La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Melt-In Sunscreen Milk SPF 60
  • Pure Sun Defense SPF 50
  • Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50
  • Equate Ultra Protection SPF 50 (Walmart brand)
  • No-Ad Sport SPF 50"

A few of the worst ones were:

"The most problematic products were Banana Boat Kids Tear-Free, Sting-Free Lotion and CVS brand Kids Sun Lotion, which were both labeled as SPF 50 but were found to have only SPF 8."

Honored Contributor

The part of the report I didn't like was that they say the sunscreens with chemical sunscreens tended to fair better overall than those just containing the mineral sunscreens. I've seen this often in studies but, unfortunately, I cannot use chemical sunscreens because they irritate my skin and eyes! So that is why I am even more diligent about reapplying sunscreen throughout the day and I wear alot of UV clothing and hats and try to stay out of the sun as much as possible without being completely whacko, lol.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@wagirl

@Andreatoo

From the article:

"The top five sunscreen lotions, according to the report, are:
  • La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Melt-In Sunscreen Milk SPF 60
  • Pure Sun Defense SPF 50
  • Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50
  • Equate Ultra Protection SPF 50 (Walmart brand)
  • No-Ad Sport SPF 50"

A few of the worst ones were:

"The most problematic products were Banana Boat Kids Tear-Free, Sting-Free Lotion and CVS brand Kids Sun Lotion, which were both labeled as SPF 50 but were found to have only SPF 8."

@HappyDaze - thx for the list. I think we have used the No-Ad. Anyone use the others? Reviews?

I don't like products with strong fragrance. My current fav is Isomers. Great for all ages, no fragrance, very effective. 

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

The part of the report I didn't like was that they say the sunscreens with chemical sunscreens tended to fair better overall than those just containing the mineral sunscreens. I've seen this often in studies but, unfortunately, I cannot use chemical sunscreens because they irritate my skin and eyes! So that is why I am even more diligent about reapplying sunscreen throughout the day and I wear alot of UV clothing and hats and try to stay out of the sun as much as possible without being completely whacko, lol.

I keep a silk scarf in my handbag and car to cover my décolleté when I'm out all day. The sun is really intense in the summer in that area when I'm driving & it seems the windsheild just makes it more intense.