Honored Contributor

Re: Repackaging of Returned Cosmetics

@151949wrote:

See - if you buy drug store MU it is almost always bubble wrapped. Another reason beside saving money to buy drug store products.

@151949  I find it difficult to purchase drugstore makeup, except mascara, because there are no testers and it’s impossible to match foundations. Lip colors are rarely the same as plastic chart they show, too. You can’t sample liners on your hand to see if they apply softly w/o tugging.

Honored Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@151949wrote:

See - if you buy drug store MU it is almost always bubble wrapped. Another reason beside saving money to buy drug store products.

@151949  I find it difficult to purchase drugstore makeup, except mascara, because there are no testers and it’s impossible to match foundations. Lip colors are rarely the same as plastic chart they show, too. You can’t sample liners on your hand to see if they apply softly w/o tugging.

I suppose it is up to you then if you want to take the gamble.I don't buy much MU and drugstore works just fine for me.

Honored Contributor

@TW  I agree.  There should be a law to prevent the resale of returned cosmetics.  It is very disgusting.  I thought it would be a write off for the company if the product was returned.  I am surprised that ULTA is not affected by this getting out.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

@Shanuswrote:

@151949wrote:

I suppose it is up to you then if you want to take the gamble.I don't buy much MU and drugstore works just fine for me.

@151949  I’ve never had an issue. Check dates on packaging, smell product for freshness, see if seal or outer package in tact and if any doubt, return it and don’t use it.

Honored Contributor

Maybe his razor was germ ridden. Maybe he didn’t wash his hands before shaving. Lots of ‘what ifs’.

@151949wrote:

A gruesome but true story - I once had a patient with flesh eating bacterial infection on his cheek. Apparently, he was at some sort of church retreat, had forgotten shaving cream and saw some in the BR so he used it. While shaving he nicked his cheek. The nick got infected - he ended up in ICU with this horrible infection.Many surgeries - skin grafts - a very long story and about 6 months out of his life.His wife often said I wish I knew whose shaving cream that was so I could warn them to throw it away. This poor guy never in a million years thought someone at his church would give him this horrible infection.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@PINKdogWOODwrote:

@Suebdoo, @TW  I must ask you both - how many makeup items do you buy that actually have safety seals on them?

@PINKdogWOOD Probably 50/50.  Examples; some WEN is just vacuum sealed.  Bought a few Laura Geller items during her sale, only the Spackle came factory sealed.  My Isomers are always sealed.  

Regular Contributor

This is the first I’ve heard about this, and I’m horrified!!!  I remember people complaining a year or two ago about the q doing this.  I always check all the makeup I buy, now I’m going to inspect it even more thoroughly!!!  If it’s not a law, it should be made one!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Those stories about ULTA is one of the reasons why I decided not to visit the Las Vegas store when I was there.

Trusted Contributor

@Sunshine Katewrote:

I thought it was illegal to sell repackaged/returned cosmetics.  

@Sunshine Kate

When I look for something I like for less (ex; something from a TSV kit and only want 1 product from the kit), I'll wait a bit then I'll search eBay and find SLEWS of used products!! Sooooo many sellers who are selling returns... I have bought some. No prob with it (no mascara no lipgloss) but a new lipstick (rare) that had a scratched up tube- they stated these "may be returns from stores" and have marks, smudges on products, labels worn off etc. and it is true...they do look not new.

They sell my the hundreds!!  Many just sell same items Q sells and maybe Ulta (I know my stuff lol). They must buy them in huge bulk - doubt they are trash picked lol. Would love to know the origin of these items!

I bought slightly beat up looking CC powder compacts by It.

A things I bought few were really a mess. Mally products and It items etc., I bought just to check out when I didn't want to pay the full price+S&H + tax (many times it was sampling but buying it) and I may have tried it then never used again it was so low in price - most things I kept and used were not old and some but are newer releases of a makeup brushes and the seller tells you the condition. I know these are returns. No one can say no. Doubt the makeup police go after the company and seller as there are so many around on eBay!

Also they words items so it doesn't look like it was used by them personally...maybe that is why eBay doesn't bother them? and most all strangely have around a 98% + rating some maybe 97% which is good lol. People love to buy no matter what, sadly womens makeup and products are SOOO overpriced and we know it. Sad!

BTW, rare I buy these but the brushes and a few things were like mint Smiley Wink! a c ra*p shoot!

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

I rarely shop at Ulta because all I think when I walk in is "commissioned sales people."  I guess I look like I don't have two nickels to rub together.  This story about repackaged cosmetics cinches it. I'm done.  I'll stick with QVC and Sephora online.