Trusted Contributor

Re: Remember These Sunglasses?

This is just my personal opinion, but I would not/could not spend $300 on something so trivial as a pair of sunglasses.  

I could never justify the price they are charging and would ask: What are they made of?  Where are they made?  How much profit is being made, and by whom?  

I guess I'm just tired of spending my hard-earned money to make wealthy people even wealthier.  I just don't think the pricetag is justifiable.  Sounds like corporate greed to me.

But I repeat:  This is just me.

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue 

That's fine.  We can disagree respectfully, right? Smiley Happy  But I agree with a lot of what you said.  I couldn't justify the cost.  They are just the most beautiful sunglasses I've ever seen and I'm weak.

Where we part ways is needing to know who makes them, what are they made of and how much profit is being made.  Profit is driven by what consumers are willing to spend (on non-essentials like this).  It's capitalism.  Simply the best system in the world.  It's controlled by private owners who give people jobs rather than by the state or kings and rulers.   Someone is making these sunglasses and being paid for it.  That money is buying clothes and food and shelter, all of which is being produced by others who have been given a job because there is a need or desire for these products.  If anyone wants to "dupe" these sunglasses for $150, I'll buy the first pair Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I have spent that much and more on prescription Maui Jims.  They keep me from having migraine headaches.  AND because of that I don't lose them.  

We were in a store that sold them when we were on vacation once and a lady came rushing in saying thank goodness you sell Maui Jims.  She said they were the only ones that kept her from having migraines.

I have had one wearing them occasionally but they really do cut down significantly on them. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   No offense intended, but I wonder how many of us even ask our husbands about items and if we can purchase them and give a dollar amount. Maybe I'd ask if it was $1000 or a car, etc., but he couldn't care less about makeup, clothing or accessories.

I also know our finances and our budget, so no need to ask if something's too expensive. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DottieBlue wrote:

This is just my personal opinion, but I would not/could not spend $300 on something so trivial as a pair of sunglasses.  

I could never justify the price they are charging and would ask: What are they made of?  Where are they made?  How much profit is being made, and by whom?  

I guess I'm just tired of spending my hard-earned money to make wealthy people even wealthier.  I just don't think the pricetag is justifiable.  Sounds like corporate greed to me.

But I repeat:  This is just me.

@DottieBlue   ITA. I have rather plain sunglasses w/ my prescription lens that cost more than these, but they are to help me see, not a fashion item.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I thought I answered this but didn't.

You work.  I never have.  I buy plenty without asking but something like a pair of $300 sunglasses, I KNOW is on the indulgent side of things.  If he would have said no problem, I would have probably changed my mind.  I think he uses reverse psychology on me sometimes!

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm 

I meant no disrespect, and if you buy them, please wear them in good health!

What I was getting at, what if they are made in a sweatshop in China?  Is China a capitalist country?  What if it costs only $1.00 to make each pair, and they sell for $300.00, who is raking in all that profit?  Not the factory workers, I assure you.  There is markup all along the supply chain, but I don't think the materials and labor used is that much more costly to justify a $300.00 price tag.  JMO.

I was just musing that I wish we consumers would think about what we are purchasing and its pricetag, and the production chain, and who reaps the outlandish  profits off the backs of cheap labor.  I don't think sunglass factory workers are well paid.  I don't think they are paid any more than the factory workers who make $15.00 sunglasses.

We consumers shouldn't have to pay $300.00 for attractive, good quality sunglasses.  I think it's done on purpose. 

Generally speaking, for instance, have you noticed that attractive upholstered furniture costs alot more than the plain, even downright ugly fabric?  What is the reason for that?  I believe it is to get the consumers to pay more if they want more attractive "designer" furniture.  It really doesn't cost more to make attractive material, better quality material yes, but more attractive I think not.  (I am aware that "attractive" is in the mind of the beholder.)

Anyway, I meant no offense, and I apologize if I did.  It's just that I hate it that we consumers get taken advantage of just purely for more profits.

Honored Contributor

I have a pair of sunglasses very similar to the ones posted.  I love them.  I have salt and pepper hair and they look great on me.

I bought them at Bass Pro when I was in Florida.  I think I paid about $60 for them.  They are in our boat that is storage for winter or I would look up the manufacture for you.

If I really loved $300 sunglasses, I would break down and get them, but if I lost them, I would be miserable.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I have  two  pair of sunglasses.  Both of which can take a prescription lens.  These can as well.  And so can the black pair with blue gems that I'm about to buy.  I'm way past due for an eye exam.  I'll be having prescription lenses put in  one of them.  Just have to figure out which ones.  I can't wear the white ones after Labor Day.  I CAN wear the tortoise shell all year around.  Black I could wear all year but buying for winter.  I guess I'll make the Kate Spade tortoise shell the prescription.  You can have fashionable prescription sunglasses!

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm ,why can't you wear white sunglasses after Labor Day? Rules about white and Labor Day are no longer in effect. People should wear what they like. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain