Super Contributor

Re: Remember Getting Your Hair “Fixed?”

My Mom also did the bouffant style, wrapping it in toilet paper and then putting a puffy cap over it all.  In the morning a pick was used to lift it up.  I styled my own hair each day, rolling it in plastic curlers at least every night.  If I had a date then I curled it 2xs that day.   My hair was always long and I married in 1972.  Hairstyle was teased, pinned up and styled with curls.  I had an additional curled hair piece added and it looked very pretty with my veil but 1 week later I went to the hairdresser and had my long hair cut off and never looked back.  Found out when I came home that my new husband loved my long hair - I told him to let his grow long then.  Too much trouble.

Respected Contributor

I get my hair blown out Thursday evens at the salon. While I’m in the chair, another customer is under the dryer in rollers. She’s a retired school teacher and is part of the experience for me.

My blow out usually lasts the weekend and I wash it and style it myself on Monday.
Trusted Contributor

Didn't their hair get smelly?  Eww.

Esteemed Contributor

Your conversation brought back memories. My mom only went to salon for cuts. She had naturally wavy, thick, dark brown hair that fell to the top of her shoulders. My hubs' mom did the weekly tease and wash. She would wrap her hair when she slept and took only baths. Didn't swim or break a sweat because of the hair. When she went back to work after last child finished high school, she cut her hair so short because she said she didn't know how to style it and didn't want to learn. Now she's back at the salon weekly at the care center.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

My mother was one of those hairdressers - and she had many customers who had standng appointments to get their hair done with a "shampoo and set" as she called them. However, her customers were older. I was in high school in the 60s and none of us went to the "beauty shop" to get our hair done, except maybe for a prom night or a wedding, or an occasional hair cut. Other than that, we all fixed our own hair.

Respected Contributor

@On It Your post reminds me of a friend that would say he hoped he never needed his wife Marge on a Friday due to a sickness.  He claimed "nothing" would stop her from getting her hair done.  They had been married 51 years and he always teased her about her standing appointment.

Honored Contributor

No.  I either had a hair cut or not.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother had her hair "done" every week except during the summer.  She wore a French twist with a teased and swirled top.  It looked the same when she went into the beauty parlor as it did when she came out. (except of course it was "clean")  She wrapped her head in toilet paper every night.  During the summer she had her hair cut short and wore a turban at the pool and wig when out in public. (She had 2 or 3 identical wigs she kept on heads in cases)

In high school, I had my hair "done" for special events and proms.  For some reason, I was lucky if the hairdo lasted through the night.  Taking all those pins out of the 'do took for ever.  Then, trying to comb out the teasing was painful experience.

Honored Contributor

No, that was before my time.  But I remember mom getting her hair done.  I was 6 in 1965.

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

Not me but my mother did every Saturday. She had her hair ratted, teased, sprayed, and piled several inches high atop her head. She always took me to the salon with her because I was too young to leave alone at home. I could never understand how she could go for a week without washing her hair. My scalp would itch and my hair would smell funky. I never understood how her hair never messed up when she slept unless it was all that hairspray!  My mother is in her 80's now and ditched that hairstyle a long time ago but still sees the same hairdresser for cuts as he is younger than she is. 

@Xivambala 

Eww ....   Sounds awful ....