Respected Contributor

Remember Getting Your Hair “Fixed?”

In the mid-60's we went to the beauty shop every week to get our hair done. (In our part of the country we called it getting it fixed.) Women had standing appointments that they dare not cancel because there might not be an opening with your favorite hairdresser at any other time.

The appointment involved a shampoo, hair being rolled on curlers, sitting under a hooded dryer in a chair, then being styled. The style involved backcombing, lots of hairspray, and a wiglet in the crown for added height. With those steps completed, your hair was fixed until next week.

This practice lastest for several years. I can't remember the exact time it ended. Maybe the invention of the blow dryer and Vidal Sassoon were the changing forces.

It led to the bathroom style where the toilet and the shower were in a separate room away from the vanity. Many of the vanities were in an alcove that was open to the bedroom for good air flow. The shower had to be separate so it wouldn't wilt your do.  I still see those houses on Zillow from time to time.

Respected Contributor

Re: Remember Getting Your Hair “Fixed?”

I remember my mom getting her hair done every week. It was quite the big deal when she'd worked her way up the senority list far enough to be able to have her standing appointment on Friday afternoons. My sister and I got shuttled off to some great aunts and uncles for the afternoon while mom was at the salon. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Some people still do it.  I have seen my hairdresser working on a lady doing that exact thing minus the wiglet.  She gets something like a French Roll where it's pinned up in back.

I have "done" my own hair for years after my hairdresser cuts it.  She gives me an empty station to do it.  I'm sure she doesn't charge me any less and it frees up her time so it's a win/win for her.  I have only had one hairdresser in my entire life who could style my hair such that I didn't go home and re-style it afterwards, and he moved to Atlanta.

Honored Contributor

@On It 

You described my mom!  She had a standing appointment every Saturday and she wore a wiglet for YEARS!  At home, she used that pink paper tape and slept in a satin cap, to maintain her style all week.  

Honored Contributor

I was a teen in the 60's and only when to the hair salon every great once in awhile for a cut. It wasn't a regular thing for teen girls I grew up with in Southern California but yes for the moms.

Valued Contributor

Not me but my mother did every Saturday. She had her hair ratted, teased, sprayed, and piled several inches high atop her head. She always took me to the salon with her because I was too young to leave alone at home. I could never understand how she could go for a week without washing her hair. My scalp would itch and my hair would smell funky. I never understood how her hair never messed up when she slept unless it was all that hairspray!  My mother is in her 80's now and ditched that hairstyle a long time ago but still sees the same hairdresser for cuts as he is younger than she is. 

Honored Contributor

When I was a little girl, I went every Saturday morning with my mama to the beauty shop to get her hair done.  They had a coke machine with the little bottles and mama always gave me a dime to get one.  After her hair was done we would go to Baskin Robbins, then to the grocery store.  It was our Saturday morning together...every Saturday.  Those are some great, great memories.  I was my mama's girl for sure.  I sure do miss her.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

My best friend from middle school had an older sister who was a new hairdresser in the sixties. She said it didn't take long to acquire a following since most customers then were 'weekly' regulars.  I  remember her telling us she could tell which customers worked and which didn't, the working women had ink marks all over their scalps from sticking ballpoint pens behind their ears all day, no computers in offices then.

She even came to our school to talk to our class about her work and getting your first job. She told the girls in our class that boys always prefer a "natural" look. The boys all started cracking up laughing.  Here she was, at 9am, dressed like she was going to the club on Saturday night with bleached, platinum blond hair and heavy, full makeup.  My friend was so embarassed.

Lol, I haven't thought about this in years.:-)

Respected Contributor

My grandmother went to the beauty shop every Friday morning at 9.  She would roll her hair in toilet paper before she went to bed and we would use a pick to try and raise up the curls that got smushed at night.   I don't know how she did it.  I toss and turn all night.  Her hair pretty much lasted most of the week. 

Honored Contributor

Your topic made me smile! When I was very young, there was not much money in our household, so beauty shop trips were very rare and only happened for special occasions! Later on though when Mom was much older, she started going to her beauty shop every Saturday morning for her "do."  She would get shampooed, trimmed, curlers, under the dryer, and then teased and lots of spray!  Her "do" would last all week with clips, tape and sometimes a satin sleep cap!  She so looked forward to this treat!!! As for myself, I remember once when I was going to a school dance, I wanted to look extra special, so Mom took me to this shop and the guy there teased my hair and put so much hairspray on it, then when I went to get all the teasing out, I couldn't -- it was so tangled and a mess!  I cried and cried, while both my Mom and myself worked and worked on it!  I think half my hair was ripped out!!! That was the last time I allowed anybody to tease my hair like that!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin