Trusted Contributor

??? Regarding Josie Maran's argan balm ingredients

I know that lots of you ladies are much more educated than I am regarding ingredients (well, that's not saying very much.........😊). I would appreciate any advice. 

In the past week, I've noticed my eyelashes have become a bit drier and I've had a few fall out (nothing crazy, but enough to give me pause). I was out of town for a few weeks and two things were different (1) I was only using waterproof mascara and (2) I was applying Josie Maran's unscented argan balm to my lashes every evening. 

Here are the ingredients:

Argan Balm INGREDIENTS: Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit,
Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Beeswax, Glyceryl Dibehenate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla)
Wax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Tribehenin, Glyceryl Behenate, Orange Peel Wax, Abyssinian
Oil (Crambe Abyssinica) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado)
Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil,
Gardenia Tahitensis (Tiare) Flower Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit, Citrus Nobilis
(Madarin Orange) Peel Extract, Bassia Latifolia Seed (Mowrah) Butter, Tocopherol.

Now that I'm home, I've started using my regular mascara and stopped using the balm. My question is, are there any ingredients in this balm that would cause dryness to my lashes? I'm pretty sure the waterproof mascara was the culprit (it was all I had with me), but I'd like to be sure. I really enjoyed the balm and thought that it would provide the benefits of an oil without any messiness. But, I want to be sure I'm not going to look up and be lash less in a few weeks 😳

Honored Contributor

Re: ??? Regarding Josie Maran's argan balm ingredients

I can't think of anything that would cause dryness to lashes, especially since it doesn't cause dryness to hair in general. I love the balm but I've never used it on my lashes. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

citrus extracts can cause irritation/dryness. I see she has a few citrus extracts in there so that could be it. I know personally they dry my hair out and since eyelashes are hair, that could do it.

Waterproof mascara is pretty harsh though and can cause lashes to become brittle over time and break.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the advice ladies. I'm pretty sure it was the waterproof mascara (which I very seldom wear). Silly me tossed the wrong one in my travel bag, so I was stuck with it for a while. 

@HappyDaze I had been using rose hips seed oil, like you'd recommended previously. I just can't get the hang of applying the right amount. I go from not being able to feel it on my lashes at all, to it dripping down into my eyes and then I've got blurry vision for the rest of the night. The balm was much easier for my clumsy self 😃

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DoxieMomma wrote:

Thanks for the advice ladies. I'm pretty sure it was the waterproof mascara (which I very seldom wear). Silly me tossed the wrong one in my travel bag, so I was stuck with it for a while. 

@HappyDaze I had been using rose hips seed oil, like you'd recommended previously. I just can't get the hang of applying the right amount. I go from not being able to feel it on my lashes at all, to it dripping down into my eyes and then I've got blurry vision for the rest of the night. The balm was much easier for my clumsy self 😃

awwww DM! Yeah that is not good! Smiley Sad Did you use the mascara wand? If so, you really don't need to see or feel it on your lashes for it to work. Definitely if it is dripping down it is wayyyy too much. When I do it, I put a tiny drop on the brush and I cannot feel it on my lashes at all (that is a good thing, lol) and I barely even notice a shine on my lashes, only if I look close. Definitely no dripping involved! Smiley Very Happy I have really sensitive eyes so dripping would be a nightmare for me.

Is the balm ingrediens for her plain one or a scented/flavored one?

Trusted Contributor

@HappyDaze Yeah, I used a mascara wand.....apparently, my "drops" are bigger than yours 😃 I wore contacts for 20 years and had LASIK two years ago, my eyes are still somewhat sensitive, so when I used too much oil I would just lay in bed and stare at the ceiling until I fell asleep. This happened about twice a week......it was literally "beauty sleep". 💤💤

The ingredients are for the unscented one. I don't always trust what QVC posts, but I'm pretty sure this listing matches what is on Josie's website, and her balm isn't listed as being a scented version. It's odd, because to my nose, the unscented balm has very little natural fragrance, so some of those ingredients surprised me.