Respected Contributor

I've been seeing more mentions and recommendations for those red LED light emitting face masks by dermatologists and although my face looks pretty good,  thanks to my nightly application of tretinoin, my neck could use some help. The Omnilux brand seems to get glowing reviews.

Have any of you tried one of these and if so, have you seen results?

Respected Contributor

I don't have a mask, but they would be a great convenience to do it all at once.

I have been using a LightStim for awhile.  My skin is pretty good genetically and I use Retin-A and a Vitamin C product also.

I keep using it every other day (I used it daily for awhile), and I can't honestly say I know!

The LightStim needs to be used in sections for 3 minutes each.  But it kind of makes me feel guilty to purchase a mask since I have a red light LED!

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

I also use lite stim and do entire face. Don't know how it'd work on neck. I'm facing 70 this month and  my face and neck are falling. Up til now really excellent skin.

I think my health and loss of a tooth are doing my face in.

Better over the hill than under it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Red LED light mask

[ Edited ]

I use tretinoin on my neck and dec every night. I also use my Tria Age Defying Laser on the lower-half of my face, my neck and dec nightly. I've had very good results from doing that for several years. No more horizontal 'tree rings' and skin is somewhat firmer on my neck. I don't have those vertical lines on my chest anymore either. I'm a side-sleeper and those lines used to really bother me but now they are gone.

ETA- 

Tria uses lasers, not LEDs.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee how does the Tria work? Is it supposed to build collagen like the red LED lights?

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@SilleeMee how does the Tria work? Is it supposed to build collagen like the red LED lights?

@Texasmouse 

It works by using laser light which penetrates the skin in tiny beams,(specifially created for targeting the dermis)  just below the surface, where the beams cause microscopic 'damage' where the skin reacts as if it was injured and in turn the skin produces collagen and elastin. The laser light also breaks up pigments in discoloration such as brown spots and other darkness issues so your skin appears more clear. Tria uses a nonablative laser.

Red light LEDs, otoh, stimulate the mitochondria (also found in the dermis) w/o creating damage or a wound like lasers do. Mitochondria are responsible for cell metabolism and are involved in the synthesis of collagen and elastin. The red LEDs are made to emit a specific wavelength of light designed to excite the mitochondria so that they become more active. The older we get, the slower the mitochondria perform and also there numbers start to fall....that's called aging.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee thank you for your detailed explanation! I wonder which treatment is more effective in the end.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse 

Here are a few things to consider...

LEDs emit scattered, noninvasive, low-heat light. It has it's limitations as to how deep it can go into the skin plus it is easier to distort (loss of energy) the pathway leading to the cells. The advantage is mostly that it's noninvasive and produces very little heat where heat can sometimes cause fat loss within the skin like lasers can do. We need the fat to help give us volume. 

Lasers go deeper than LED light and is less apt to get distorted. Laser light remains consistently strong as it travels into the skin. Lasers work faster and take less time per treatment and results are often seen sooner than with LED light. The biggest disadvantage to using lasers is they cause fat loss. The thinner areas on the face will be more vulnerable than the areas where skin is thicker. The TRIA is on the low end of the spectrum when it comes to causing fat loss as compared to what a derm uses. The fact remains that lasers are hot energy producers so that translates to fat dissolution. 

Both laser and LED technologies can be used in tandem. So can microneedling be used in tandem with the others. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee thanks! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos about red light masks and it does appear to be helpful with lots of studies to support it. I just bought the Ecoface from Amazon. They have a $30 off coupon right now, so about $220 total. 
I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm hoping to see some results before I decide if I want to get injectables.