Regular Contributor

Recs for healthy scalp treatments

I am in need of something that will make my scalp healthy. My scalp has been itching for a while and I am losing hair. Any recommendations for a product that will help? I think I’m going to go without hair dye for a while to see if that helps. I want to let my hair go gray anyway but my husband’s not into it yet. We will see. Thx
Trusted Contributor

Re: Recs for healthy scalp treatments

Same issues, also may let it go to grey.

Had luck with Selsun Blue but the scent never leaves, especially if your body temperature fluctuates.

Head and Shoulders has some great options that do not leave an unpleasant scent behind.

I read up a little on itchy scalp and hair loss and it could be caused by a fungus.

Both of these shampoos treat that problem.

Having said that, your issues might be completely different and if you can, seek the aid of a good dermatologist.

BTW hubby is on board with the grey but thinks it's hilarious that I can think I'll really do it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tweetybrd  For the itchy scalp...  Avalon Organic Tea Tree scalp treatment is a good brand for this purpose, but if you purchase be sure to include the Tea Tree conditioner as well.  You will need it. You might want to read the reviews on Amazon. I  can only vouch for this brand (others didn't work).  It took about three washings for the itching to go away.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Tweetybrd wrote:
I am in need of something that will make my scalp healthy. My scalp has been itching for a while and I am losing hair. Any recommendations for a product that will help? I think I’m going to go without hair dye for a while to see if that helps. I want to let my hair go gray anyway but my husband’s not into it yet. We will see. Thx

vinegar rinse

but it's probably fungus--dandruff thing use a good dandruff shampoo 

doubt it's the hair dye as that would be showing up when you get your hair colored.  (I know from experience)

Respected Contributor

Nizoral shampoo.   It's an anti-fungal shampoo that works.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Other than the itching, how do you know your scalp isn't healthy?  Have you thought about the shampoo, conditioner, styling products, hair color, etc. that may be irritating or have an ingredient you may be allergic to?  Are you on any medications that may cause dryness or itching?  It wouldn't hurt you to do a vinegar rinse either way, but I'd look at the other possibilities first.  

Respected Contributor

My friend had the problem of a itchy scalp and after exausting all options at even a few of the best clinics in the country, it was finally decided by a panel that the problem was due to her nerves.  This may sound over simplified but when she quit work not long afterwards the scalp problem cleared up.

Honored Contributor

I use some tea tree oil if mine itches. It works. I also have Wen's Tea Tree Oil.

Google home remedies for life tea tree oil and itchy scalp.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found a scalp brush on AMZ that I use when I shampoo. It has very wide, soft thick bristles (?) that massage the scalp and unclog the hair roots so your shampoo/ condidtioner can do its job. You don't need to scrub it hard or for very long,  but just zigzag it thru, front to back and then on the sides. It feels amazing. I also use Nioxin scalp treatment, as well as the shampoo/conditioner for thinning hair.  I have noticed that my hair grows faster between cuts. My scalp is less itchy too.The more you stimulate your scalp the better for your hair, I think; but don't go overboard as that can get the oil flowing too, which may not be good for some.

Regular Contributor

What great options everybody! Thank you so very much! Hilo,Stress maybe? Yes!!! 🤗🐥