Honored Contributor

Re: Recs for No Chip Top Coat

@SnowOwl79 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

I have noticed that if the nails are smooth, the polish stays on longer.  Think acrylic nails.  The polish doesn't seem to chip between manicures even if two weeks go by. 

Natural nails are not smooth.  They have ridges and some texture to them.  I have found that if I used a couple of coats of ridge filler and make the natural super smooth, polish lasts longer with no chipping.  I have even skipped the top coat on occasion and they still don't chip.

This is my favorite ridge filler, but there are others out there. ( Amazon) I use three coats and dry well between each one.

63ED1DC1-EAC4-4674-B0F2-48536BA07584.jpeg

Acrylic nails are nothing like real nails, it doesn't work like that. And you have to keep up with fills every 2-3 weeks. Acrylics don't have oils like natural nails, and are made for polish to adhere to them, not because they are smooth. 

I don't think the OP is interested in trying any solution besides a new top coat anyway. Questions go unanswered, hardly any dialogue except, - I've already tried that and it didn't work -

Excuse me?  You have no idea what you are posting about.  First, and foremost, I am a licensed hairdresser who has been professionally trained to do manicures.

I, and everyone else knows what acrylic nails are.  I was not suggesting the OP get them.

Your natural nails do not have oils...no oil glands. 

I don't care if you think the OP is not interested is trying any solution besides a new topcoat.  You are not the OP and your comments are rude to me and to her.

I didn't mention this before, because I was being polite, but sanding your nails is one of the WORSE things you can do to them.  You weaken the nails terribly.  A good base coat works to strengthen the nails, and it provides a perfect surface for the polish to adhere to. If you have ridges and an uneven nail surface, your polish will chip almost immediately at those spots.

I don't use polish often, but when I do, I expect that my manicure will last almost two weeks...and it does.  The ridge filling base coat works. It fills in all the ridges and makes the nail surface smooth and helps the polish adhere.  A good base coat is important to keep nail polish from chipping. I don't even need to use a top coat...it works that good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After applying your normal base coat, whatever it may be, try applying a coat of CND Stickey Base Coat over it before your color polish, it dries with a bit of stickiness to it, and helps the polish over it to stay on longer, I have been using it for years. 

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab - Look into Olive and June. They have an amazing top coat. I've started wearing it over all of my colors from various lines. My manicure lasts two weeks, sometimes longer. I also don't wear gloves for anything. Right now my color is OPI's My Chihuahua Doesn't Bite Anymore. It's a pretty orange red color. I've had it on since last Wednesday and it looks like I just did them!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Perfect Formula top coat works well for me.

Respected Contributor

My all time favortie is CND Vinylux Gel Like Effect. I don't use Vinylux polish but this topcoat works great with my OPI colors. Zoya Naked Manicure Glossy Seal is also very nice. As far as finding the HG, it also depends on the polish that you are using and the conditon of your nails. I find when my nails are going through a stressful phase, my polish doesn't adhere as well. My nails do weaken more in the colder months. 

Respected Contributor

@JennyBr wrote:

My favorite, and I've tried many, is Revlon Gel Envy topcoat, which is not a Gel manicure type product. Comes off with regular acetone remover. My manicures last a week, with maybe a little touch up here and there.

@JennyBr I used to use this but haven't been able to find it anywhere. In fact the last time that I found it online, the product was old. So I had to move on but this was my favorite.