Trusted Contributor

Can anyone recommend a good, no chip, top coat that really doesn't chip? I've tried so many but they all end up chipping practically the next day? I just wear a base coat and a top coat, no colored polish. Thanks!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Recs for No Chip Top Coat

I have tired all top coats out there, and none are a true no chip, least not for me, not for natural nails and regular polishes. But, I can tell you the best one I have found is Poshe, it literally dries to a high shine, glass like finish in one minute. and it covers imperfections in your polish application too. So, for me, it is the best!!  Many may recommend Seche Vite, but Poshe beats it by a mile. 

Honored Contributor

Check out some of the Nail-Aid line of products. I use their 8-in-1 and it wears like iron. 

Occasional Contributor

My favorite, and I've tried many, is Revlon Gel Envy topcoat, which is not a Gel manicure type product. Comes off with regular acetone remover. My manicures last a week, with maybe a little touch up here and there.

Trusted Contributor

@Shelbelle  My latest return was the Seche Vite. It has awesome reviews but chipped for me by day #2.  I tried this twice and had the same result.  

Trusted Contributor

@LuvmyLab  I like OPI top coat. About $9. It really does last more than a week for me. My salon uses it too. Not that I have been there in over a year. lol. I keep my nails short and do them at home for now. Maybe one day I will go back and get gels again. I don't feel comfortable just yet.

Amazon sells a pack of OPI base coat and top coat. $20. If all you wear is base coat and top coat, it might be worth it to try. Good luck.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Not too long ago sally hansen mega shine top coat won first place in the Allure annual awards so I tried it. Not only did it chip, it also peeled like crazy. Makes you wonder if those awards are for real.

Trusted Contributor

@decaf  I tried that one too and the same thing happened to me.  I guess it's just trial and error as what works for somebody might not work for me. 

Valued Contributor

It is absolutely trial and error. For me, Poshe was the worst top coat I've ever tried. It would not dry. Like, at all. Seche Vite is my go to. I once wore a polish for two weeks because I loved the color and not a single chip, I refreshed the top coat twice. I also liked OPI Rapid Dry, it worked well for me. 

Have you ever sanded your nails? Sally Beauty carries ultra fine sanding blocks. You lightly rough up the nail and your basecoat adheres better giving longer lasting results. 

When I began wearing polish, I noticed a film will build up on the nails and polish wouldn't stick. The sanding block removes it, and it would be a few months before it needs to be done again. 

Also, I don't know of a polish or base/top coat that won't chip if you don't wear gloves while cleaning or washing dishes. For some ladies, even that isn't enough, they just can't find anything that works. 

Many companies make nail treatments that are tinted (sheer, and they make your nails look so pretty) like Zoya's Naked Manicure, OPI's Gel Break, ORLY's Breathable Treatment, and Butter London's Jelly Preserve to name a few. But they may not stick to your nails, either. And I don't know if you even want a treatment type top coat. 

Also, have you tried reapplying instead of removing? Use thin coats, and reapply top coat everyday. Polish seems to stay on longer with more than one coat. I rarely use base coat, but my go to is ORLY Bonder.

And lastly, there's the no cure gel top/base coats (along with polishes). I didn't care for them.

Honored Contributor

@SnowOwl79 wrote:

It is absolutely trial and error. For me, Poshe was the worst top coat I've ever tried. It would not dry. Like, at all. Seche Vite is my go to. I once wore a polish for two weeks because I loved the color and not a single chip, I refreshed the top coat twice. I also liked OPI Rapid Dry, it worked well for me. 

Have you ever sanded your nails? Sally Beauty carries ultra fine sanding blocks. You lightly rough up the nail and your basecoat adheres better giving longer lasting results. 

When I began wearing polish, I noticed a film will build up on the nails and polish wouldn't stick. The sanding block removes it, and it would be a few months before it needs to be done again. 

Also, I don't know of a polish or base/top coat that won't chip if you don't wear gloves while cleaning or washing dishes. For some ladies, even that isn't enough, they just can't find anything that works. 

Many companies make nail treatments that are tinted (sheer, and they make your nails look so pretty) like Zoya's Naked Manicure, OPI's Gel Break, ORLY's Breathable Treatment, and Butter London's Jelly Preserve to name a few. But they may not stick to your nails, either. And I don't know if you even want a treatment type top coat. 

Also, have you tried reapplying instead of removing? Use thin coats, and reapply top coat everyday. Polish seems to stay on longer with more than one coat. I rarely use base coat, but my go to is ORLY Bonder.

And lastly, there's the no cure gel top/base coats (along with polishes). I didn't care for them.

I cannot imagine that happening with Poshe, for me it dries just about instantly with a high gloss and cushiony feel. . Maybe you got a bad batch, sorry to hear.