Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for 'softer look' eyeliner for mature eyes

@ciao_bella 

I do find a gel eyeliner pencil easiest to use.  My fav is Bobbi Brown Perfectly Defined Gel Eyeliner.  Much easier to use than a plain pencil. 

Respected Contributor

I dip a short flat top eyebrow brush into eyeliner sealer to wet it then dip into dark brown or deep plum eyeshadow.  I take this and smudge it right into the lash line to create the look of super thick lashes and define the eyes.

The eyeliner sealer prevents fall out or smudging.  It washes off with soap and water but survives heat, humidity, oily skin, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I dip a short flat top eyebrow brush into eyeliner sealer to wet it then dip into dark brown or deep plum eyeshadow.  I take this and smudge it right into the lash line to create the look of super thick lashes and define the eyes.

The eyeliner sealer prevents fall out or smudging.  It washes off with soap and water but survives heat, humidity, oily skin, etc.

@Abrowneyegirl   Yes, a perfect technique. Here's the idea with going between the lashes instead of on the lid: as we age (me, too), our top lid begins to get puffy and we lose lid space. If we take up that "real estate" with liner, there's less room for shadow. When you tightline between the lashes, they look thicker and you leave ALL the lid for eye shadow. It's also a much more natural way to define the eyes.

Respected Contributor

I've used Clinique for years; they have lots of color choices. My last order I noticed that the staying power wasn't there and it was flaking. The thing that made me choose Clinique in the first place is that they have clear cylinders and you can tell when you're getting close to running out. I don't understand why all aren't clear, nothing worse than getting half an eye done and discovering you're at the end. I've tried Bobbi Brown's gel liner which I like but the color choices aren't there and their black is black black, too much for my aged face. They don't have the clear cylinder, however, so I probably will not reorder. I've not had success using wet shadow as others here have, it ends up on the bone above my eye even after using shadow primer. I think I've tried every liner the Q offers and most offered on Sephora. Neverending quest!

Super Contributor

I am looking right at 69!  I use the Westmore Pallete - but any good eye shadow will do.  It came with a thick bristled, but pliable brush.  I wet it and dab in eye shadow, start at the outer corner and only sweep til about my iris in the my eye.  You can make it thicker or thinner. If needed, sometimes I take a soft brush and go over it to soften it even more.  I found using a good eyeshadow primer--- it will last all day!  I use the Westmore, Laura Gellar and tart shadows.  I also use eye pencil on my water line as my eye lashes are getting sparse! 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I don't like using anything waxy or waterproof on my lashes or lash line...it's difficult to remove, especially from inside the lash line. I've had some issues with milia forming right in my lash line and I had to go to a derm to have it removed. It was a rather large milia...I wasn't happy about that. I had a bald spot on my lash line for a while...ugh.

Honored Contributor

Too bad it took me so many years to discover its the COLOR, not the formula, for me. I now use a brown from Mally.  It looks natural, not hard.  Check your stash and give it a try.

Respected Contributor

I use a thin brush and a dark eyeshadow. It doesn't smear but may fade over the day. Easy enough to touch up. 

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass  I agree about the color.

I like soft definition, too. My favorite color is on the gray side. And my favorite longwearing pencils are the Sephora brand.

You could try again with whatever pencils you already have...

If you do not draw in one line...skip it along your lash line, then directly afterward, smudge over with a soft, clean, dry brush, like a flat shadow brush. Whatever remains on the brush can be used at the lower lash line.

As an aside, Clinique, LG & Mally has never worked for me.

Tarte is okay for long-wearing, and also Carmindy, also (new to me) Laura Mercier eye shadow sticks (for eye liner.)

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella   First of all, change to a softer color.  Grey, brown or taupe.  I suggest using an eye shadow stick by Bobbi Brown.  From time to time Bobbi Brown offers 25% off or Macys or Nordstroms offers discounts.  I think you will be very pleased with the soft look the shadow stick produces.

kindness is strength