Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for a toiletry bag....

@ECBG wrote:

In college, we took our things to our hall bathroom in a plastic pail.  The pail was easy with no zippers.

Now, most college rooms are done in suites with a bathroom in the middle.

@ECBG - I can relate! At my last college, I was in a suite for two years and four of us shared a bathroom. My last year I was in a renovated building where some seniors were offered single rooms. I was one of the lucky ones! But we had one bathroom on the floor, so I used a pail. All of my dorms were coed, except for freshman year at another college. I also spent a semester overseas. 

DD's experience was similar to mine, except reversed. She used a Mary Kay hanging case her first two years.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

In college, we took our things to our hall bathroom in a plastic pail.  The pail was easy with no zippers.

Now, most college rooms are done in suites with a bathroom in the middle.

@ECBG - I can relate! At my last college, I was in a suite for two years and four of us shared a bathroom. My last year I was in a renovated building where some seniors were offered single rooms. I was one of the lucky ones! But we had one bathroom on the floor, so I used a pail. All of my dorms were coed, except for freshman year at another college. I also spent a semester overseas. 

DD's experience was similar to mine, except reversed. She used a Mary Kay hanging case her first two years.  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom 

For three years we had the biggest dorm rooms on campus.  Our dorm and the matching one across from us were 4 floors.  

I got to stay there for 3 years.  Our "progressive" school decided to become coed!

They took our nice dorm, and put us on the dorm "on the hill" which those stinker boys had that was 50 years old and looked horrid! The boys got our clean dorm with nice big dressers and wide hallways!!!

While I was there they built a "high rise" and had suites with tiny rooms.  The halls reminded me of bowling alleys.  The girls didn't even know each other!

Honored Contributor

I lived in a co-ed dorm and we had male and females on separate floors.  My only complaint is they kept tearing up the elevators!  They would stop, stop between floors, etc.  I am still terrified of elevators!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@ECBG - Not fair!

@Sooner - You had ELEVATORS? LOL!

We were allowed to paint our rooms in the dorm I lived in my last year, but we had to choose from "approved" colors. One was a beautiful wedgewood blue. We had a space for a very small closet and my mom made a "curtain" from a white sheet. All of the rooms came with an easy chair! I loved that room!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Thank you for all your input and recommendations - I am leaning toward the Pavilia one at Walmart for $18.99.  It's the style and type she would like and also comes in a really cute pink striped one and a teal one, also available at Amazon.

She lives a ways away from me and I don't really want her to know what I'm getting her.  I think of Vera for older than teenagers and they are expensive.  This is just an extra gift I'm giving her.

And yes, they are still called toiletry bags!!!  When I googled it I got tons of results under that exact language.  I don't know what else you would call them - they are definitely not just cosmetic bags.

I do like the plastic pail idea!!!

PAVILIA Hanging Travel Toiletry Bag Women | Hygiene Bag, Bathroom Toiletry Organizer Kit for Cosmetics, Makeup, Toiletries Accessories (Pink Stripe)

PAVILIA Hanging Travel Toiletry Bag Women Men | Hygiene Bag, Bathroom Toiletry Organizer Kit for Cosmetics, Makeup, Toiletries Accessories (Teal Chevron)

Honored Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness Please talk to and offer suggestions and let her pick.  It's hard to know what she will be carrying, how big her stuff is and what setting she will use it in.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG That's what we did too!  I used a bucket all four years.  Never had to worry if it got wet and all my things were in one spot.  I did my makeup in my room.  Only used the bucket for shower needs.  I might be tempted to do the mini/regular Lug trolley set now since i could put my make up on one and the shower needs in the other.  But the bucket worked great for me!