Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations for Eye Cream

@World Traveler 

I wonder if their simple rice water wash is their secret?  Did you or hear of that while in Japan?

Honored Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@World Traveler 

I see some in reviews mention the eye area. Lids, not sure but I did dab some on mine after I applied it on my face. It's too bad the on air presentations aren't accessible, which may confirm use around and on the eye area. I'll look at Just Ask David dot com's site ti see if there's any additional info there.  Also The Lab Direct Direct dot com might offer info.

When describing my new experience with his products earlier, I was focused on how awesome my face felt. I didn't even look in a mirror all day, just feeling how uniquely different this felt for me. At $10 a bottle, with a potential 25% discount, it's a mominal expense and I'm ordering another of both the items that knocked my socks off.

I'll share any additional info I come across with you too.

Thanks @rochelleS  I look forward to hearing more.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@World Traveler 

It's a product he has.  

Love your comment about only having wrinkles when you smile. 

Thank you Smiley Happy I know two things...my nice complexion is mostly genetics and I can't stop wrinkles.  But I can improve it to a degree and give the appearance of a younger and healthier complexion with products.

Sidenote:  I tried Tretinoin.  Not for me Smiley Sad  Retinol products I can use and do.

@monicakm  Interesting what you said about Tretinoin. Same with me. Doesn't do anything I know of after trying it for 1-2 years. Was very religious about using it every night after a few weeks of going slowly. But I really like Peter Thomas Roth's retinol, which I can feel AND see a difference. I get the big bottle (and sometimes it comes with a travel size) for around $99. Lasts me way more than a year and I am very generous with it on my face/neck. I think he has an eye retinol too, which I might try.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

@World Traveler 

I wonder if their simple rice water wash is their secret?  Did you or hear of that while in Japan?

@monicakm  I take notes each day when I travel to different countries, and I may try to dig out my notes for that visit at the Geisha House in Kyoto. Don't recall if I spelled it out in my daily journal, but hoping I did. Would be interesting to see what they use.

Although they do their own makeup, I found it interesting that they need two people to help them dress. The outfits are very elaborate, and if I recall correctly, I wrote down the price they pay for those. I know it was in the thousands of dollars!

Here is a photo of the back of a geisha out on a boat. Notice that their white makeup goes all the way around their neck. The other photo is the front of one of them.

IMG_3069.jpeg

IMG_3093.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Long ago geishas died of lead poisoning from their makeup. Lead was used to make it opaque and cover all the skin. Of course today things have changed. Geishas also went bald from traction hair loss b/c of the style of hair their wore back then. Today they wear wigs.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Long ago geishas died of lead poisoning from their makeup. Lead was used to make it opaque and cover all the skin. Of course today things have changed. Geishas also went bald from traction hair loss b/c of the style of hair their wore back then. Today they wear wigs.

@SilleeMeeVery interesting; I didn't know that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm   I found my notes for that day.

Following lunch at a local restaurant, we met with the owner of a local tea house where geishas perform. We learned about the life of a geisha and their history.

The owner was beautiful and after telling us about the training the ladies go thru, she answered all our questions. Some caught her by surprise and she had to laugh out loud, which evidently is uncommon for geishas to do in public. Many of our questions were very personal about what goes on there, and that was why she was laughing so hard (but she did answer the questions!).

IMG_2186.jpeg

IMG_2187.jpeg

We asked about her hair, which was flawlessly coiffed. She said someone washes and does her hair EVERY morning. Takes one hour. The geishas have their hair done once a week because they wear wigs a lot. This is her own hair, not a wig.

She charges on average $3,500 for an evening with one of her geishas. The evening is 90 minutes. In order to let the customer know when his time is up, instead of the unsightly clock in a place like this, she burns incense that lasts 90 minutes, and when it is finished burning, the customer must leave! And she DOES make sure they leave or pay more money.

I asked about her skin, which is flawless...what skin care regimen does she use? She said water and moisturizer! I said, “Are you kidding me?” “No, that’s all.” We did see what looked like water and rose petals in it, along with a small amount of oil, sitting in one of the rooms the ladies use. We were able to ascertain that she was at least in her 50's if not older, because she told us how she came to own the business and at what age she started as a geisha.

Geishas usually start training at the age of 19. She has one geisha who is 85 years old! The lady is booked thru April 2020 (I was there in 2018), and this owner said she hopes the 85-year old is still alive then. Ha! The older lady is in such demand because she is very good at playing a musical instrument and still has a lovely voice. She is not what they call a pleasure geisha, but an entertainment geisha. No one else is booked as far out as she is.

The tiny mirror on the floor is where the geishas touch up their makeup. The owner and another person help dress the geishas and it takes 20 minutes to put the kimono on properly. That’s why she helps them. I don’t remember the price of the kimono, but I recall it was several thousand dollars for each one.

One of the men who was standing next to her asked how she learned to speak English so well, and she got up close to him and whispered in his ear..."I learned it while working in bed."

She was very charming and a very good hostess.

Here is a photo of the little mirror where they kneel to put on their makeup. Can anyone read the side of the jar......does it say Tatcha? Smiley LOL

Geisha Mirror.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Fascinating @World Traveler. Thank you so much for sharing!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is an update of what I ordered based upon the recommendations on this thread.

On November 19 I ordered:

• IT Confidence in an Eye Cream
  • Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye (based on my past experience)
  • Isomers Fast Lift Eye Serum
  • Tatcha Ageless Revitalizing Eye Product
  • Tatcha Firming Eye Serum

All but Isomers has arrived. Evidently Isomers is a Canadian company and they have reported a delay in getting the product to me. It has arrived in Chicago as of this date, but no estimated delivery date.

I started out using the IT and Estee Lauder products first; one in the morning and one in the evening. I like both of them. They go on easily. They provide hydration, and I feel a bit of tightening with the Estee Lauder product, which is a plus for me.

Both of them have about the same amount in a jar, so when I finish them I will move on to the Tatcha products, again one in the morning and the other in the evening.

Then I will try Isomers.

@rochelleS  I very well may try David Pollock eye products (ShopLC, The Lab Direct, Clinical Results, Silk Genesis), as you and others suggested: PM Collagen Eye Cream, Vitamin C Perfect Eyes, Eye Perfecting Cream). Want to use up what I have already received.

Elf Skin Illuminating Eye Cream was suggested, but I haven't researched it enough yet to know if I am interested in trying it.

Again, thanks to everyone for your contribution. I am quite sure that I can find everything I want in an eye cream from the suggestions given. Appreciate you taking the time and thought to help me out. Heart

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@ellaphantThanks for that tip on tightening of the eye area.....that no product can do that. I thought I had read some products did that, but I could be wrong on that.

Totally impossible for a topical to firm lift tighten or remove wrinkles. Only surgery can do that. I had my upper lids done. Gone are hooded  and wrinkled lids. I can finally 

wear eye makeup again. 

I use inexpensive, clean products to moisturize the skin around my eyes.

The high priced, promise miracles beauty industry is a racket.