Super Contributor

Recommendation for dry shampoo?

Hi All,

My stylist says my hair is dry and I need to lay off my shampoo. She suggested a dry shampoo. Are there any good ones out there?

I hoped to get a drugstore priced suggestion.

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendation for dry shampoo?

* Batiste (assorted varieties, sold by scent or hair color)
* Not Your Mother's "Clean Freak" Dry Shampoo.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/21/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

* Batiste (assorted varieties, sold by scent or hair color)
* Not Your Mother's "Clean Freak" Dry Shampoo.

JLF - I am familiar with Batiste but the Not Your Mother's Clean Freak sounds intriguing. Where have you found this one?

Dublingrl - I wish I could recommend a good drugstore one but the few I've tried from the DS, have not been good dry shampoo's. Did your hair stylist also recommend giving your hair a really good mask type heavy duty condition? That often helps the hair as much as anything. Dry Shampoos often can have the side effect of being more drying, especially if any get on the lower sections of the hair.

What might help for ideas is to go to Sephora, or even Amazon, and look through the various brands and read the reviews. You will get a good idea of those that appeal to many and you will also be able to see a lot of varying price points.

There are a ton of them out there now. I have used Bumble and Bumble for a long time and like it as much as any other I've tried. I think you can also find travel sizes of some at Ulta or Sephora and that could be a good way to test some out yet not be out of pocket too much.

Honored Contributor

On 6/21/2014 wackers said:
On 6/21/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

* Batiste (assorted varieties, sold by scent or hair color)<br /> * Not Your Mother's "Clean Freak" Dry Shampoo.

JLF - I am familiar with Batiste but the Not Your Mother's Clean Freak sounds intriguing. Where have you found this one?

Dublingrl - I wish I could recommend a good drugstore one but the few I've tried from the DS, have not been good dry shampoo's. Did your hair stylist also recommend giving your hair a really good mask type heavy duty condition? That often helps the hair as much as anything. Dry Shampoos often can have the side effect of being more drying, especially if any get on the lower sections of the hair.

What might help for ideas is to go to Sephora, or even Amazon, and look through the various brands and read the reviews. You will get a good idea of those that appeal to many and you will also be able to see a lot of varying price points.

There are a ton of them out there now. I have used Bumble and Bumble for a long time and like it as much as any other I've tried. I think you can also find travel sizes of some at Ulta or Sephora and that could be a good way to test some out yet not be out of pocket too much.

Hi wackers - I know you didn't ask, but the Alpha Hydrox company (neotericcosmetics dot com) sells an assortment of Batiste on their website, but it's also at other B & M stores. Even so, it's easy for me to include them when I place an order during an AH sale so I get a few extras then. I'm in the midwest and we have a large supermarket chain called Meijer. That's where I first discovered NYM's Clean Freak, but now Ulta sells a lot of NYM products (I use a couple of them). NYM also has their own website (nymbrands dot com)

Respected Contributor

Do you have CVS? My local CVS sells Not Your Mother's ""Clean Freak"" Dry Shampoo.

Super Contributor

I use NYM Clean Freak also from CVS. CVS brans is not good. Tresamme is not too bad. There is always Psssst which was the original dry shampoo from the 70's. Ulta's does have a good selection.

Valued Contributor

I am currently giving one a whirl by Big Se$y Hair. Can get it at Ulta. Red can with black top. So far I like it the best out of the many others that I've tried at the drugstore. The only issue is that when you cleanse again, after using the dry shampoo, you kinda have to really work this product out of your hair. Like, you can't easily put your fingers through it after you spray it through. Sorta thickens you hair. Sounds weird, but I hope you know what I'm trying to say here!