Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendation for concealer/eye brightener

I'm always baffled that IT Bye Bye Concealer and Shape Tape are winners since I find them so dry and tend to settle in lines. 

I used to do concealer before foundation and now take my foundation and go up lightly under my eyes with a damp sponge. I need much less concealer/brightner. Of course, a hydrating undereye cream is needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

I also don't get the hype over It Bye Bye undereye concealer. Even though I used hydrating undereye cream, the concealer was thick and difficult to apply. I tried it on my hand first, but it still didn't work well. The 5 star reviews didn't mean a thing. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Bye Bye Undereye Cream is really thick and dry.  It settled and showed everything badly.  I pitched it. The Bye Bye Dark Spots is much nicer in the application and performance, and you don't need much. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I can recommend two different products. 

This first one, by Maybelline, is a brightening concealer. Look for "Brightener" as the shade name. It's top rated. Sells for less than $9.

Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Concealer - Reviews | MakeupAlley

A second option is this one, by Smashbox Becca, and it's not a concealer but a illuminizing under-eye brightener. Also top rated. Sells for $33. 

SMBO0417F_1.jpg

You can absolutely layer those two together. As for which order to apply them, I would try either way and see which one works best for you.

I was going to say those exact two as well. I use the Maybelline from under my brow to just above my eyelid crease to alleviate darkness and to give me healthy color. I use the Becca as a brightener OVER my concealer because I have some brown circles from lack of sleep. I would also add that Bobbi Brown has a pinkish concealer called porcelain bisque that I believe is sold as a corrector but I use as concealer. I use the Becca over it. 

Respected Contributor

@Midmod  I use the Maybelline but take that bacterial infested sponge off. It clicks up with products then I use a flat concealer brush.

I don't think it covers ladies with dark circles but it works well for my need. 

Trusted Contributor

The IT bye bye undereye isn't dry at all, mine is very greasy. It's old though because it lasts forever, so maybe they've changed the formula? I have dry skin and it's very moisturizing. It is thick though, which is probably why it does a good job covering dark circles.
I ordered the london butter and am also going to pick up the Maybelline.
Shanus, thanks for your recommendations. I will look at them next time I'm in a beauty store.
Thanks so much everyone!!!!!
Respected Contributor

@Steffdoggy10 , I also like Mac, Prep n Prime,  in Radiant Rose.   I also bring my foundation up a bit under eyes, like @Shanus  said.   I first apply my eye cream, then I pat in foundation with my finger.  Using my blender sponge, sort of soaks up my eye cream, so I stopped using it there.  My fingers work better.  Then either Mac, or the Maybelline eraser, (I use lightest shade) is tapped on.  I don't have darkness, but I get a sunken look on some days, and either of these two really brings out the under eye area.  I do have to go over a few times, tapping in until nothing settles in fine creases, but these two crease the least out of many I've tried.   I don't set with powder either...I want it hydrated.   It's my toughest area to deal with...I often think I may consider fillers in that area...but I'm holding off.

Honored Contributor

@Steffdoggy10 

I probably have 10 to 12 concealers. They range from drugstore, Nyx, to high end. These are the three I reach for the most, in no particular order... Lancome Tient Idole, NYX, and my most recent purchase and favorite by far, Natasha Denona Hy Glam Brightening and Hydrating medium to full coverage in 50 colors.  I don't have dark circles but this concealer is so super smooth and hydrating and blendable it's incredible.

Honored Contributor

@rochelleS 

I was interested in the Butter London product you mentioned.  I have no luck with concealers.  They all seem to settle in my fine lines.  I don't have bags --- so far anyway --- but I do have dark circles, which make me look so tired.  When I don't have concealer on, the few fine lines don't seem very noticeable, but when I apply concealer --- sheeh --- they just look awful - boing!!!  I am 71 and my skin is a tad dry but not overly.  Do you think I could really use this product without it settling and accentuating fine lines? I am so tired of purchasing products that work terrible on me!!!  I was drawn to this one because of it being 2 products in one.  Thank you!!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin   Re: eye cream issue. When I do my skincare, I have a little battery hand held fan (Amazon maybe $10) to help it sink in faster. This helps the eye cream stay put before products are applied. I sometimes tap eye cream on top when finished if area looks dry. Just a suggestion.