Frequent Contributor

Recommendation for a Curling Wand (not Iron)

Hi everyone.  I am trying to find a curling wand that is easy to use.  I have never used one before.  I don't want a curling iron, I have one of those.  I am trying to get those loose beachy waves.  I bought one of the those that rotates, and it gathers and tangles my hair really bad, so I thought maybe a curling wand would be easy.  My hair is past my shoulders, and is straight with some wave to it naturally.

Any suggestions?  I am hoping to find one that is 1" or 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" barrel.

Help if anyone has used one, to recommend a good one, what the name is, where you got it, and if you remember a cost?

I am new to this so any help would be great.   Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Recommendation for a Curling Wand (not Iron)

i would like to know too. i saw a few at TJMaxx but they came with heat-proof mitts. sooo...not sure

Frequent Contributor

I have found the only real difference between a wand and a curling iron is the technique. I, too, wanted to try a wand because I would always see ladies with pretty, beachy waves. I tried my daughter's wand and kept burning myself even with a mitt.  My hairdresser showed me how to do it with my iron. My hair is just past my shoulders. I curl starting mid shaft and curl up or back toward my head, sit for a few seconds, then loosen the iron a little and slide it down to the ends, leaving just the very tip of the end out. Then curl up again. Try not to overlap. Overlapping is why curls don't stay when using an iron versus a wand. I hope this all made sense. But I still understand the desire to try a wand. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have a nume, and there are always a million coupon codes for them. I bought the Lustra  (or something like that), and it has 8 different barrels. I don't use it much, but like it when I use it. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I highly recommend you try a "marcel" curling iron. They do have a little bit of a learning curve, but you'll get exactly what you're looking for. They look similar to a regular curling iron, but there is no spring in the little clasp that holds onto your hair. You basically start at the top of your hair and work your way down so every spot of your hair receives the same amount of heat - much like wrap aroud variety - but this work sso much better IMO. Once you get the hang of it there is no going back. There are some great tutorials on how to use marcel curling irons on Y-tube. I would recommend a 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" for the big beachy waves you want. I can achieve this look in about 10 minutes or less using my marcel iron. I have just below shoulder length hair. It also does a good job of smoothing everything out as you are curling - curls last all day and even leaves a nice wave overnight for the next day. I just curl it all, spray with Aveda styling spray, let cool and then finger comb. Beachy waves/curls come out perfect. I am pretty sure I have the 1-1/4" but it could be the 1-1/2". I use the Hot Tools brand. You can find this online - I haven't really seen marcels in stores - even beauty supply stores. I am guessing they are in the $40-$60 dollar range. I've had miine for years so I don't recall what I paid for it.