Honored Contributor

If you set your hair on rollers, do you use a hair setting jel? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Recommend hair setting jel

I'd love to find a hair setting spray for using hot rollers.

Years ago I used a spray for hot rollers made by Dippity Doo, but apparently it isn't made anymore and I've been unsuccessful at finding any other brand of one.

The heat protection sprays or just using hairspray doesn't set the curl for me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I've been using Paul Mitchell Soft Sculpting Spray Gel (my number one choice) with my velcro rollers for years.  Set hair, put on makeup, blow dry a little bit.  Nick Chevez also makes a setting spray (extra body) that I have used and liked.

Honored Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

I've been using Paul Mitchell Soft Sculpting Spray Gel (my number one choice) with my velcro rollers for years.  Set hair, put on makeup, blow dry a little bit.  Nick Chevez also makes a setting spray (extra body) that I have used and liked.

************   I have been looking for something like this.  I also use velcro rollers.  Lately I have just been using hairspray on each strand before I roll it.  Then I blow dry and let cool while I do other things.  I get the curl I want and it lasts a long time for someone with stick straight hair but it is very hard to comb out. Ouch! My hair is fine and getting thinner.  Could you tell me what is the difference between the Paul Mitchell and the Nick Chevez?

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

If you set your hair on rollers, do you use a hair setting jel? 

@qualitygal  I don't use hot rollers or Velcro rollers on my short pixie. I use a mini flat iron, so heat protection is the first thing I look for in a product. I like a small amount of Marula Oil on soaking wet hair and then a volumizing mousse...gels are heavy on my hair and seem to build up. I only shampoo twice a week so keep my products to a minimum.

Trusted Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@aggravated wrote:

************   I have been looking for something like this.  I also use velcro rollers.  Lately I have just been using hairspray on each strand before I roll it.  Then I blow dry and let cool while I do other things.  I get the curl I want and it lasts a long time for someone with stick straight hair but it is very hard to comb out. Ouch! My hair is fine and getting thinner.  Could you tell me what is the difference between the Paul Mitchell and the Nick Chevez?

I think the Paul MItchell product gives a little more body.  The Nick setting mist is also nice though. Note: you will have to comb through after the Paul Mitchell product.

Honored Contributor

@aggravated

Thank you for getting back with me.  I think I will try Nick's.  I woud like to be able to fluff it with my fingers and not comb through it.

Esteemed Contributor

I use Velcro rollers but prefer a Mousse for volume. My hair is a bit strange - most of it has become curly and frizzy and yet I still have bangs and the left side that is stick straight. Makes for an interesting styling experience. I use Mousse on the straight portion while my hair is wet and that works well; blow dry it and then use the Velcro rollers and then give it a few shots of the blow dryer again. I leave the rollers in while I put on my makeup. I've seen some setting jells at Walgreen's, but I like the results from a Mousse better.