Honored Contributor

Re: Recently ""WENNED"" and Hair is SUPER FRIZZY ~ Any Suggestions?

On 3/26/2015 DogLvr said:

I always wondered why Chaz says 613 is Wen on steroids? My initial interpretation is that 613 is super moisturizing. Now, after always hearing that 613 is drying, why does Chaz still use this expression?

The odd thing is that 613 has very few ingredients that are super moisturizing (and they are lower in the ingredient deck) but it is is packed with amino acids. Moisture and amino acids (protein) are not one in the same. 613 was awful for my hair. Made it dry and straw like. I guess my hair doesn't like the steroidal WEN.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/26/2015 islandgrrl said:
On 3/26/2015 DogLvr said:

I always wondered why Chaz says 613 is Wen on steroids? My initial interpretation is that 613 is super moisturizing. Now, after always hearing that 613 is drying, why does Chaz still use this expression?

613 is a funny one. In my (3A curl, somewhat dry) hair 613 gives me lots of moisture. It wasn't until I heard about the dryness problem on these boards, that I realized there was a problem for some. Since then I've cut back my use but I have to say I have never run afoul of the 'too much protein' problem. BGT is a whole 'nuther story. It dries my hair after only a couple of uses.

Chaz promotes regular/daily use of 613 when he offers the gallons. I wonder what his experience is in his shop? They must see good results for their clients.

Chaz promotes regular/daily use of 613 because he's there to sell products, lol. And, he's a fantastic salesperson who truly believes in his line.

I don't believe there is one universal Wen that will work for everyone, that's just not possible. 613 is the most protein-intensive Wen formula, not necessarily the most moisturizing. The amino acids (which are the building blocks of protein) are what help repair damaged hair. Maybe it would be better if it were explained that way, not just "Wen on steroids".

For me personally, 613 worked really well when I first started using it (when it was first launched). At this time, I was using Wen on and off, not exclusively. It wasn't until I used only Wen (no shampoo) that I started having drier hair occasionally. I didn't know what was going on until I started reading the experiences of other posters on this forum. Because my hair was drier, I began using 613 and/or the seasonals more often (hoping for more moisture). The other ladies here helped educate me......because my hair was so healthy from using Wen, I didn't need all of that additional protein on a consistent basis. I went back to using only Tea Tree and Sweet Almond Mint (more moisturizing) and my hair was back to normal within a week. There is no way I can use 613 on a consistent basis. I can go months without using it, and my hair is perfectly happy.

Respected Contributor

Doxie: I think SAM is way underrated. My hair loves it. On any given day I have two seasonals open in the shower along with TT, SAM, 613 and watermelon WEN kids. The seasonals provide varying levels of moisture for me...but a few pumps of SAM mixed in makes every formula work well.

Trusted Contributor

Doxie: I think SAM is way underrated. My hair loves it. On any given day I have two seasonals open in the shower along with TT, SAM, 613 and watermelon WEN kids. The seasonals provide varying levels of moisture for me...but a few pumps of SAM mixed in makes every formula work well.

I totally agree!! With all of the new formulas being launched (none of which work all that well for me), it's nice not to forget about the basics.

I hadn't really used SAM much recently until this winter, I was in a much colder, drier climate for an extended period of time, so I started using SAM during every cleanse. It was just what my hair needed! And I had forgotten just how much I enjoy the scent, it really is lovely.

My first cleanse is almost always Tea Tree, occasionally Cucumber Aloe in the summer months. But, I've been using SAM more during the past six months and my hair is loving it. My hair is happy with almost any combo of TT, SAM, CA and LAV........I'll use a seasonal occasionally, but could be perfectly happy with just those four cores.

Respected Contributor

On 3/26/2015 DoxieMomma said:

I totally agree!! With all of the new formulas being launched (none of which work all that well for me), it's nice not to forget about the basics.

I hadn't really used SAM much recently until this winter, I was in a much colder, drier climate for an extended period of time, so I started using SAM during every cleanse. It was just what my hair needed! And I had forgotten just how much I enjoy the scent, it really is lovely.

My first cleanse is almost always Tea Tree, occasionally Cucumber Aloe in the summer months. But, I've been using SAM more during the past six months and my hair is loving it. My hair is happy with almost any combo of TT, SAM, CA and LAV........I'll use a seasonal occasionally, but could be perfectly happy with just those four cores.

We are SAM/TT sistahs! I almost always use TT as my first cleanse. My second cleanse is typically a seasonal or a seasonal/SAM mix. 613 is my second cleanse once a week. And i love WEN kids watermelon as a leave-in.

Esteemed Contributor

This thread turned into very informative conversation. Thank you guys! I'll go, find and dust off my old SAM, and start adding some to all new and fancy seasonals and rice based CCs.

Respected Contributor

The biggest help to my hair for any frizz has been the new MIF...SHL is also awesome for frizz, but the new MIF TSV has topped that...It is the richest, creamiest scent I have used so far, it feels like butter on my hair...I am thankful it will always be in the line-up and I got it on auto delivery...(oh I am also using the RTM a few squirts in my leave in combo, (I read on here about doing that) Thanks to all for many wonderful idea's you all always come up with!!

Esteemed Contributor

Ditto Mimi! I second every word of your post!

Frequent Contributor

Long time Wen user and I, too can't use 613. I really really wanted my 58 year old coarse hair to love it. After going through all of the cc's, I've found that the BGT is my new BFF. I was about to give up on Wen. And for YEARS I've not had success with adding cc's as a leave in until this past week. I caught bits of Chaz last weekend and when he said to how much to leave, I tried it and OMG - my hair is almost like the Wen girls, If I only had Chaz to style. LOL I hadn't been putting in enough because i really thought my hair would get weighed down and greasy looking which was happening with the smidge I was adding - it really dried me out. Who woulda thought?

I don't use any of his other products since I like the Moroccan Oil Light oil and styling cream. I'm letting my colored hair grow out to it's natural color (which is now grayish) and so far I'm loving it 12 weeks in. It's not too gray !

Respected Contributor

Catbelly: First of all I LOVE your name. It's perfect. I think it is interesting that you are loving BGT and not 613. I am the exact opposite. I had always thought that these two formulas performed a similar function -- though in my hair they work really differently. And like you I am a long time WEN user but find I am learning all the time. I've recently started adding more leave-in and getting great results.

quadmimi: I love your description of the MIF. I haven't given it any consideration because I so dislike the scent of regular fig. Can you tell me how it compares both in terms of moisture and fragrance? TIA!