Honored Contributor

Re: hair trimming experience and seeking your opinion and advice

@Harvard99 wrote:

First, I'm sorry you took her comments so to heart.  Please don't allow someone to 'get to you' like she did.

I suspect she was giving you the hard sell on products and styling advice but I can't know for sure.  You know your hair better than any one but I hope these ideas might help.

Try different stylists, at your salon or a different one, and when you find one you really like, stick with them.  At chain shops, these are usually their first jobs out of beauty school.  Make sure you always get their phone number or they have yours, just in case they change shops. 

If you decide to change shops now, check reviews on Yelp to help choose a shop.  Also when you make an appointment ask them which stylist is the best to try for your hair type (describe it ).  Believe me, they want new customers to be happy!

When you find a stylist you love, trust them to recommend options for cut, color etc. Don't ever feel pressured but at least be open to new possibilities especially since you're transitioning to gray hair. 

Years ago, a good friend who was a hair stylist said something that I think is so true......gray hair needs a great, sharp cut much more than colored hair for it to look young and hip.  A "no style" style and gray hair can really be aging.

About frizz....stay away from any shampoo with sulfates and try to reduce the amount of silicones you use in conditioners and styling products. From the drugstore, I like the OGX line and they have products for every hair concern. 

Also, reduce frizz with a microfiber or tee shirt fabric turban after shampooing, don't use a terry towel. The tee shirt fabic turbans are excellent for reducing frizz.  I don't care for styling products but I recommend massaging in a few drops of argan or coconut oil after and between shampoos.

@Harvard99 

Thanks for all the good tips.  I always thought that silione was good for frizz?  I try to mess with my hair as little as possible.  Thinking this would help keep it in good condition.  This is another reason why I had not changed style because I didnt want to have to rely on curling irons, irons, etc.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: hair trimming experience and seeking your opinion and advice

@ID2 wrote:

OP, To me this sounds like an unbiased review of your hair. I'd listen to her. I'm sure you'll agree that letting your hair grow out to its natural color of salt and pepper doesn't make ones hair look the greatest. I guess your stylist did her job. She got you to question your choice of letting your hair go natural. Its good to have others opinions which gives you options on how to look your best.

@ID2 

Actually, this girl told me --- never, ever color your hair again!  She said --- continue to let it grow out as your hair is trashed from years of coloring.  When she said this, I said, well, I have been coloring it since I was 16 and I am not 66.  I always had beautiful hair.  It's just changed recently due to age, health, medications, etc.  I am not crazy about just letting it go to salt and pepper but my thought was to let it have a chance to rest and perhaps get healthier.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Recent hair trimming experience and seeking your opinion and advice

@violann wrote:

First thing,  you are obviously disconcerted by her comments, and no doubt distressed to hear so many observations that were contrary to what you expected.

You asked how someone else might feel. I’d pay up and leave, and get back to work. I’m a lot older than you, and once had beautiful long hair, and now I’m totally grateful when I can manage to get my little gray curls to coverall of my numerous shocking pink bald spots.

Then there’s crying....... NO ONE ON EARTH, FOR ANY REASON, WILL EVER MAKE ME CRY ABOUT MY PERSONAL APPEARANCE. God put my eyes where he did so I wouldn’t spend my time looking at myself.

Your husband considers himself lucky to be married to you, and you are lucky to be married to him. HIS OPINION is worth more than anything you’d  buy from the kid in the salon. 

AND JUST TO ADD- I’ll make a bet that you are VERY ATTRACTIVE, and your hair looks LOVELY when you work with an interested and focused stylist.

@violann 

Thank you for your post.  I appreciate your comments, and I understand what you are saying.  

Honored Contributor

I hope I have replied to everhone's post.  If I missed someone, it was inadvertent.  I appreciate so much everyone's opinions, recommendations and kind words.  I gained a lot of insight and help.  Thanks so much, everyone!

Valued Contributor

You can purchase hair masks on  your own for deeper conditioning. I no longer use conditioners. but now it is masks instead of conditioners  I juse Keratase and Oribe.  They are pricey, but there are a few online websites that sell them a little cheaper.  I have read that Olaplex is great.  Just look online.

I also take Dr. Lessman's Hair Skin and Nails supplement.   My hair is not thicker, but grows fast and it is fairly healthy.  I am 65 and take medicaitions too.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 - sorry, I have not read 8 pages of replies. I am also in my 60s and my hair texture has changed. It happens. My hair is dark, so I color it.

My suggestion, from experience: NEVER get your hair cut at a mall chain place. Their stylists are generally just out of school and have very little experience cutting. Color and styling- OK, but invest in a more mature professional for your cut. I go to a beauty school frequently for hair services- never for a trim or cut. And yes, I think the stylist gets a commission on selling products. You were well advised to ignore that trap.

I met someone yesterday and admired her cut. I am living in a new place and need a cut this week. She was happy to share her local, well priced salon and stylist with me.

Honored Contributor

I know that you are right.  I should have been more forceful.  I just allowed her to tell me things which I accepted because I was feeling vulnterable about my hair.  It was wrong of her to take this approach and wrong of me to allow her.  Won't happen again that's for sure!  Thank you for your post! 

@AngelPuppy1, You did nothing wrong! I just got irked for you, reading your description of this stylist giving you the hard sell by trying to (nicely) break you down and make you feel bad. That's the worst salesmanship there is.

We all feel vulnerable in the stylist chair. A good stylist should not take advantage of that.

I'm willing to listen to them tell me about the products they're using. It's good info. But I nicely stop the hard sell as soon as I notice it. It just irritates the heck out of me, so I'd rather cut them off than let it affect their tip!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Agree, get another opinion but be aware of any profit motive.  

Respected Contributor

I would have felt that I know my hair better than she does does and would have ignored most of her advice. You seem like you know how to manage your hair and you are happy with it as is. Carry on and don't take her comments too seriously. 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I let my hair go grey a couple years ago just because I was tired of coloring it every four weeks.   I use a hair mask once a week to help with the dryness.   I go to a private salon for just a trim every 4-5 weeks since my hair is quite short.  I don’t even have her wash it, just spritz it with water before the trim.  I have followed my hair stylist around to different salons in the area because I like her so much.  I like having someone trim my hair who has gotten to know me and I have gotten to know her over the years.