Honored Contributor

Re: Recent hair trimming experience and seeking your opinion and advice

[ Edited ]

You are a witty, intelligent woman who’s way too smart to let anyone affect YOUR day or week.

Others here are totally right when they say “ forget about it”.  

The hair  is on your head.  It sounds to me like you have an excellent, honest ‘relationship’ with your hair and body.

I always tell my daughters what MY Grandma taught me, “ You know how you feel better than anyone.  Listen to what your hair/body tells YOU.  Don’t let anyone EVER decide what your day is going to be like...YOU decide”.

Now walk tall, smile and swing that gorgeous head of hair!  You “got” this.

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1    Everyone has written great advice. We've all been there with a horrible stylist!  I found one I love and go only to her, that helps. She told me the push to sell products is real&the cutting your hair off suggestion before trying a few things with you is totally unprofessional. I tend to get frizz on meds and I use the Tweak d products (she suggested them even though her salon doesn't sell). I use the Tribal chocolate as a hair mask or leave in on days i need extra frizz, so far it's been great.. You just need a different salon, not different hair xoxo

Respected Contributor

I agree with the other posts that she was trying to sell you products (albeit not very tactfully). I think the chain stores in the the mall especially push their employees to sell product. I would change to an independent salon if you have any in your area. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I made it through your story.  That girl wanted to sell products to you.  They don't charge much in those salons and she was trying to add money to the bill.  She was over the top with her approach.  Next time, before anyone gives you their pitch, tell them you don't need any products.  I love Acure's Mega Moisture shampoo.  It instantly gives my hair moisture.  There is also a conditioner but I rarely use conditioners.  Actually, Acure has excellent shampoos with no sulfates or any of the bad stuff.  Don't let anyone make you feel down.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

My I suggest you look at the back of your hair by holding up a hand mirror or have a friend look at it.  

You might be better going to a professional salon like Aveda.  These people are constantly updated and have amazing hair masks and many treatments.

Although my hair is long my damage is very minimal.  I use a curling iron about two days of the week and pull it back the rest of the time.  I use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner for processed hair.

Options would be a hot oil treatment every two weeks and a leave in conditioner.

Honored Contributor

The minute I registered I was feeling shamed by a stylist, I would shut her down. I want to leave a salon feeling wonderful, not pathetic.

"I'm here for a hair trim. I understand what you are saying, but I don't want to hear any more about the condition of my hair." Then change the subject. If she continues. "Sounds like my hair might be too challenging for what you like to do. Let's bring over another stylist who can feel more comfortable." Life's too short to listen to that carp.

Don't let that lady drive you away from your salon. Just request someone else.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I feel your pain, my hair issues are similar to yours. It’s  not easy getting older & I am especially distressed about my hair.

This is my action plan

* bought a nice boar & nylon bristle brush  by Fromm (eBay $12.49- search & you’ll find it)

*once a week I put coconut oil (Aldi) on my hair for a few hours or overnight, then wash

*to calm down the damage & frizz, I’ll use my Babyliss hot rollers on the crown

*taking the hair, skin & nails vitamins

*bought a shampoo at Sally’s that removes minerals (well water) 

It’s making a difference, and last, but not least-

* found a new hairdresser, going this week!

Hope this helps

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I have always felt that it is better to go to a beauty shop and stick with one person. After a few times, they know your hair and what you need and want in a haircut.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I totally know how you felt and  how it made you feel bad.  There are things we all are sensitive talking about.  Things we are unhappy with on our bodies. We just do not need it pointed out.

I think the hairdresser did not mean to make you feel bad....or was trying to just sell product.  Most likely she thought you did not know or realize the condition of your hair and wanted to give you helpful advice.  You mentioned that she said it in a kind way. 

Take what she said, and just let it go.  It is just a chapter in our book of life...

probably stopping coloring as you have done  would be good... 5 years ago I cut my long colored hair super short and grew it out grey.  It is much healthier now. Yes, many of us get that thinning in the temple area etc. maybe try one of those laser caps that QVC sells  Might be a good investment for you? 

Conditioners only do so much.... 

Honored Contributor

I think they are being pushed to sell sell sell their products.  I also think your hair has problems  and she was trying to be do her job and be helpful but  girl's  customer service skills are incredibly weak.  Also, you said she's young so she can't relate to how some older women feel about their hair.  Honestly, at 59, it wouldn't have bothered me one little bit.  Why would it?  I certainly would not have taken it personally.  She's a hairdresser, I'm not.  I'd have listened and if I didn't agree with her, I'd have said something noncommital like "well that's a lot to think about" and then I would have told her what I wanted her to do.  I think you were upset because you know some of what she said is true and you didn't like hearing it.  You husband is a peach of guy but sometimes, we really do need to hear the truth, even if we don't want too.  I have a different relationship with hairdressers.  I like experienced hairdressers so I'd never go to some young thing.  I don't go to those mall places.  I've been going to the same shop for several years now and I know she's a pro so I don't really tell her what to do with my hair, we collaborate and I rely on her for advice about products and how to care for my hair.