Valued Contributor

Really interested in the Ordinary skincare line

Is it possible that we have been way overspending on other lines? How can they make a serum for under 10 dollars that would sell for much much more in another skincare line? 365 day return option? A set of three products for under 25.00. I think I need to give it a try.

Respected Contributor

Re: Really interested in the Ordinary skincare line

I've been really happy with the products I've purchased from them.

Skincare and cosmetics have huge markups, so yes, we are paying too much. The 10% Lactic Acid is fantastic.

Honored Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

Is it possible that we have been way overspending on other lines? How can they make a serum for under 10 dollars that would sell for much much more in another skincare line? 365 day return option? A set of three products for under 25.00. I think I need to give it a try.

Yes and no. High quality serums usually have a combination of actives that are formulated to work together to solve a certain issue. With The Ordinary, you generally only get one active in a carrier ingredient like squalane. You'd have to cocktail seven or more Ordinary products to get the same combination as a regular high quality serum. That's a lot of squalane and other carriers to put on your face along with your actives.

For example, the Ordinary Buffet serum costs more than the Matrixyl serum. And Buffet has several different actives combined in it.

The Ordinary does make total sense when say, you have a serum you like but it lacks one or two actives that you really want. Then absolutely add just them on with The Ordinary.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

I read the other day that you should never put more then three actives on your skin at one time. I see people posted for another line that they are mixing way more then three to apply at the same time.

Valued Contributor

@Nadine 

Hi I haven't tried the brand but I am a big fan of the dermatologist Dr Dray she has her own YouTube channel with several video review of the ordinary . If you go to her channel and put in the search The Ordinary -she has serveral videos on practically the whole line 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Nadine wrote:

Yes and no. High quality serums usually have a combination of actives that are formulated to work together to solve a certain issue. With The Ordinary, you generally only get one active in a carrier ingredient like squalane. You'd have to cocktail seven or more Ordinary products to get the same combination as a regular high quality serum. That's a lot of squalane and other carriers to put on your face along with your actives.

For example, the Ordinary Buffet serum costs more than the Matrixyl serum. And Buffet has several different actives combined in it.

The Ordinary does make total sense when say, you have a serum you like but it lacks one or two actives that you really want. Then absolutely add just them on with The Ordinary.

@Porcelain 

Adding, some serums I might otherwise use are not Cruelty Free.

Or, the base is too heavy for my picky, combo skin.

Or, there is an added fragrance.

Or, there is an ingredient I react to.

I appreciate the options Deciem affords me.

Thanks for the product update you provided on a different thread.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

Im a little late to the party and just found out about this line.  The whole philosophy behind the brand got me so interested that i ordered a few items. The man who produced it said that women were getting ripped off from high end brands which are full of filler and perfumes but we pay $$$$ for just the packaging which does nothing. Do you see how insane that is. But after Estee lauder bought a portion of this line everything went down hill. That worries me a little because they've done that w other big brands and literally killed them. Many derms recommend this line so far. Im using the HA moisturizer and i like it. I tried the buffet but it sluffs off my skin after i put oils to seal everything. I got the argan oil which was so inexpensive but it has a chemically smell to it so im not sure if its pure. But all in all we shall see in a few weeks. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Valued Contributor

I ordered a few things that should be here this week. I have high hopes for this line

Valued Contributor

Years ago Dr. Denese said most skin care cost 25 cents to make! 

I am using several products..the Buffet, Resveratrol and Ferulic, Caffeine Eye Serum...I see a good result!

There is a company, I am using several products..the Buffet, Resveratrol and Ferulic, Caffeine Eye Serum...I see a good result.

There is a company, Deciem, that is selling The Ordinary at 23% off the already good price through November.  Free ship at $25.

Respected Contributor

I've been really interested in trying this line too, the problem is, I'm just not sure what to try! I know that I don't want 8-10 bottles sitting around for me to alternate and/or cocktail, I will just not go to that much trouble, I know it, then it will go to waste. 

I am not an ingredient expert either.I saw a couple of recommendations from their website, I could always start with that.