Contributor

Ready to take the plunge on some type of skin treatment

Hi  You wouldn't believe how much I come here and take many people's advise on various items.  I don't usually post but really need some advise.

I am 63, work full time, and so far use prescription Retin A and various skin creams throughout the years.

I really want to take the plunge on botox or a quick lift or anything else you can recommend.  My neck is starting to really show age and those lines beside the eyes and mouth are getting deeper.  I know you should age gracefully but if there is something that can improve a little I would definitely give it a try.

I work full time so can't have too much down time and also I have been afraid since I didn't want to alter my appearance too much like you see on certain celebrities.

Please help, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Honored Contributor

Re: Ready to take the plunge on some type of skin treatment

@dottyf,

I would start by asking your dermatologist or a plastic surgeon first. That would be my choice.Woman Happy

Contributor

I understand that but I just wanted some ideas from here.  There might be someone who can recommend what worked for them, then I can check it out for myself.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Honestly, if you are ready to take the plunge "on some type of skin treatment" but have no idea which one, then no, you really aren't ready.

Trusted Contributor

I hope you find a treatment that works for you and that you love, @dottyf!  I wish I could help you with suggestions but I haven't gotten there yet with my own skin.  I'm going to try to get my first prescription for Retin A next week when I visit my doctor.  Please let us know what you decide and how it goes!  Smiley Happy   

Respected Contributor

It sounds as if you're talking about procedures as well.  Why not see whether you can get a consultation with a good dermatologist or plastic surgeon and see what that person recommends?  I think a lot of people who get the fillers and the iip plumpers end up looking worse, but it seems to be because they take things too far.  Best of luck!

Respected Contributor

Ask for a  recommendation from MD for derm or plastic surgeon; you want someone who knows especially what they're doing around the eyes if you decide on Botox (my personal fave)

Check cost per unit, it will differ. For me botox is a great bang for my buck. I do fillers 1x every 12-16 months.

Good luck.

Valued Contributor

Hi, dottyf, it's funny, I was thinking of posting something similar this week. I will be sixty shortly. I did use Botox five years ago for my daughter's wedding, and I loved the results. Got rid of my ll's and really gave my eyebrows a great lift. However, I stopped because at that time the upkeep was too expensive for me. In a couple of months, my sister and I have a consultation with a very reputable plastic surgeon in our area. I'm interested mostly in Botox and fillers. Something about cutting into my face freaks me out, but my sister is very interested in a mini-lift. I'll post back after our appointment. Good luck on your own search!

Frequent Contributor

I've been using botox for about 7 years and fillers for about 4.  I am very pleased with botox.  I'm 60 and don't have forehead wrinkles or crow's feet.  I've had filler (juvederm) on my mouth to chin lines and upper check area.  My derm is very conservative so I don't look like i've had any thing done.  I get botox about 3 times a year and fillers about once a year.  Find a good doctor and go for a consultation.

Valued Contributor

The best advise I was given when I had your EXACT same concerns, is this . . . . Find a doctor who believes in "less is more." I actually found one that said THAT and, "how about looking LIKE YOU, but with less wrinkles and less tired?" HE TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH!  He also showed me hundreds of his "before and afters." Fast forward to the new me after only Botox, and virtually NO DOWNTIME, and I couldn't be more thrilled!!  Nothing drastic. And I love it!  Do your homework and GOOD LUCK whatever you decide!!