Respected Contributor

Ready to give up on foundation...

I have worn foundation for the last 40+ years. When young I wore to hide stuff and now it seems like it emphasizes the stuff I want to hide like texture, age spots but most of all it finds every line and wrinkle and settles in them.  I can take a q tip and wipe away the foundation in the line or wrinkle and a while later it is right there again.  I have used many foundations, both powder and liquid and combinations of both, B.B., cc, tinted moisturizer, Drug store and expensive.  I have not tried the one Angie from hot and flashy calls her holy grail which is Chanel lumiere velvet.  I keep hearing people say it does not settle in fine lines and wrinkles but not found one yet that does not.  I have combination skin now used to be oily.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ready to give up on foundation...

IMO you are using way too much.Foundation is not meant to be slathered on - a very small amount should cover your entire face easily.Think of an eyedropper and think 2 to 3 drops from an eyedropper.

Respected Contributor

Chanel lumiere velvet is very sheer coverage. I also think you are probably using too much foundation. Try the beautyblender, it might help.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would use a primer because that will help keep stuff from settling and keep your makeup looking fresh throughout the day. 

Primers come in many formulations...colorless, tinted, color-correcting, water-based and silicone-free options. Some even contain sunscreen. My issue is some redness so I usually use one that has color-correcting pigments (green) made for redness. Some like to use a tinted primer as their foundation or use it to create an even tone to their skin before applying regular foundation.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never in my life worn foundation.  I am near 60.  My skin is not exceptional, compared to many.  It's just my skin and I never thought it looked right on me to cover it up.

I would imagine it would be quite an adjustment to give it up after all these years, just as it would be for me to start using it!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I recommend a good primer and less foundation. 

Right now I am using Lancome La Base primer and Teinte Idole foundation and it lasts all day, covers any small issues I have like broken capillaries or red spots, and doesn't settle in fine lines.  I dot it on and useh a flat head round foundation brush to apply, buffing until it is smooth.  I do set it with It Bye Bye pores pressed powder, and again, I use very little.

I have learned that less is more - the foundation covers without using more than a small drop and distributing it all over face, even up and under the eyes.  Then I only need a tiny bit of lighter concealer in the inner corners of eyes to finish, and I don't get the cakey concealer issue anymore.

Foundation is really key, the right color, formulation, and application.  Good luck on your hunt, but I'd try what you already have with new ways of applying it.

Honored Contributor

Maybe add a few drops of moisurizer to your foundation--I find that helps alot. iI use Smashbox water bb cream that is the best I have tried. I am 64 and go as natural as I can--my skin is very dry so I need to really hydrate my skin before applying any make up. 

Honored Contributor

I've never been much of a make-up person.  However, in recent times, I discovered M Asam Magic Finish Mousse (I get it on HSN).  I'm finding it is just enough for me.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

I have worn foundation for the last 40+ years. When young I wore to hide stuff and now it seems like it emphasizes the stuff I want to hide like texture, age spots but most of all it finds every line and wrinkle and settles in them.  I can take a q tip and wipe away the foundation in the line or wrinkle and a while later it is right there again.  I have used many foundations, both powder and liquid and combinations of both, B.B., cc, tinted moisturizer, Drug store and expensive.  I have not tried the one Angie from hot and flashy calls her holy grail which is Chanel lumiere velvet.  I keep hearing people say it does not settle in fine lines and wrinkles but not found one yet that does not.  I have combination skin now used to be oily.

@chiclet  IMHO, I’d concentrate on skincare. Perhaps focus on fading age spots and skin texture. Then wear a tinted moisturizer w/ concealer on trouble areas. It’s rare that any full coverage foundation looks well on older skin. Besides, no ones skin is perfect except maybe women under 30 or models. Trying to achieve a flawless complexion at our age is just not practical. It’s better to take control & take better care of your skin, use less makeup and let some spots, etc. show through than end up looking caked up, more lines visible and too made up in general.

Respected Contributor

I do not use a lot of foundation, about a pea size amount and use damp beauty blender or brush.  Today I used the IT armour which is a tinted spf with anti aging and it tends to be oily so I used mally face defender on one side and It bye bye pores on other side.  Just looked in mirror a few hours later and every wrinkle is filled with tinted spf.  The side with face defender looks same as with the bye bye pores powder.  I just bought the mally face defender and sending it back as it looks no different than powder.