Trusted Contributor

I read that after awhile the muscles shrink and cause sagging, it makes sense that if you stop the muscle from moving it eventually shrinks. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this, don't know if i can afford to use it forever! Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Reading about botox and...

Some swear by Botox. Me I just can't be bothered to try it. Now that it has been around for a while it will be interesting to see the long term use issues come out.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Super Contributor

Most of the posts I've read are by those who continue to use it (because they are happy with the results), so haven't read about what happens if it's discontinued.

I think that reason -- muscles atrophying, sagging -- are why Dr. Perricone isn't a fan of botox.

ETA: Just checked this out on realself -- different dermatologists have different opinions, so no definitive answer.

http://www.realself.com/question/What-happens-when-you-stop-routine-Botox-and-Restylane

Super Contributor

Makes since. That probably why they don't just cut the muscle.

Super Contributor

I've used it for several yrs between the brows and forehead, I get it 2x a yr & will continue! No sagging. It costs me $500 a yr!
Honored Contributor

I will tell you what I thought was very scary about receiving Botox. There was a married couple that went for Botox injections and unbeknownst to the dr. it was not Botox. Both the man and woman were paralyzed, speech problems, etc. and in the hospital for a long time. It was awful. This was on 20/20 or one of those programs a few years back. If I remember correctly, the dr. bought it from another source trying to save some money.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Bangs or botox......I'll take the bangs!

Respected Contributor

I have myfascial pain syndrome in my pelvic floor. Treatment involves botox injections in the vagina. Three weeks ago I had twenty injections. I'd gone to two other doctors in the past and never had that many. You have to wait three months between injections. The doctor I'm seeing now is the best. It really hurt like but that's because I wasn't numbed enough and his technique is more painful. There is concern about forming antibodies. This is rare but if happens the botox won't be effective.My insurance covered it. My hairdresser had it for neck spasms and it's also used for migraines. It was originally used for drooping eyelids. There is a problem if it's used too much but I can't explain it properly.

There will always be horror stories. Especially with something that really can be a cash cow for dishonest people. I see a cosmetic derm but I only see her for straight dermatology stuff.

If I ever do anything I'd use her. She's well known and is affiliated with two superb hospitals.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

That's half right. The more you use the Botox, the muscle will atrophy. The alleged upside of that is if the muscle stops working then you need less and less Botox because with the muscle not moving, you won't get the lines. I think it would take a very, very long time for this to happen to a normal person using normal amounts of Botox, unlike some actresses and models. Yes, I do get Botox.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!