Regular Contributor

I'm not sure if it is due to the improved quality in the TV's picture quality, or not, but lately the befores look better to me than the afters in many of the makeup presentations.

The heavy makeup seems to accentuate the smallest of lines and wrinkles.

Respected Contributor

@shoppingless wrote:

I'm not sure if it is due to the improved quality in the TV's picture quality, or not, but lately the befores look better to me than the afters in many of the makeup presentations.

@shoppingless ~ Bingo!  I totally agree!

Honored Contributor

@shoppingless wrote:

@shoppingless  I’m sure HD forever changed the application of tv makeup. If you watch women on any news shows, soaps, etc., their skin looks airbrushed...almost flawless. It’s not obviously highlighted or contoured, but it’s  definitely there.

When a vendor’s selling makeup on tv, I’ve never understood why they can’t see the AFTER in the monitor and scream! The makeup on models look like it’s applied w/ a palette knife. Shiny faces, over done, brows not natural.....Well you all see it yourselves. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@shoppingless wrote:

@shoppingless  I’m sure HD forever changed the application of tv makeup. If you watch women on any news shows, soaps, etc., their skin looks airbrushed...almost flawless. It’s not obviously highlighted or contoured, but it’s  definitely there.

When a vendor’s selling makeup on tv, I’ve never understood why they can’t see the AFTER in the monitor and scream! The makeup on models look like it’s applied w/ a palette knife. Shiny faces, over done, brows not natural.....Well you all see it yourselves. 

@Shanus ~ That's what I see, too!  I bet the vendors see all the "stuff" we do, but...they are there to sell.  They could, however, try not to pile on so much of what they're presenting.🤡

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@shoppingless wrote:

@Shanus ~ That's what I see, too!  I bet the vendors see all the "stuff" we do, but...they are there to sell.  They could, however, try not to pile on so much of what they're presenting.🤡

@AKgirl2  It would make more sense to me to have the finished models’ skin look dewy (not slick), see some skin through the brow product, more eye than eye makeup....Stands to reason, that look would sell more makeup. Even if they’re supposedly trying to appeal to a younger audience, teenagers and young women always ask me for a natural look.

”I want to look the best I can when you’re finished, but not like it isn’t natural” is 90% requested....younger and older women. No one wants to appear like they spent an hour in front of the makeup mirror. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@shoppingless wrote:

@AKgirl2  It would make more sense to me to have the finished models’ skin look dewy (not slick), see some skin through the brow product, more eye than eye makeup....Stands to reason, that look would sell more makeup. Even if they’re supposedly trying to appeal to a younger audience, teenagers and young women always ask me for a natural look.

”I want to look the best I can when you’re finished, but not like it isn’t natural” is 90% requested....younger and older women. No one wants to appear like they spent an hour in front of the makeup mirror. 

@Shanus ~ I've always asked to look better, but still as natural as possible.  There was a young (male) NARS makeup artist that did exactly that for me.  I was also very pleased with a young lady who applied my makeup from Laura Mercier.  I asked a few questions and paid attention as to "how" to apply and hopefully achieve the same results.  Close, but no cigar.  They were true makeup "artists" in my book.  I personally believe less is more with makeup.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus I thought you were a former makeup artist, but because you are currently doing clients, I have a question.  Do they ask for highlighter and illumination?  Curious because when I've had mine done, years ago, I was asked about items before they did anything.  Like did I want or use eyeliner everyday.  Of course this was done at a counter to sell products.  I just wondered if you have a makeup artist for an event, if the client wants highlighter, do you use it?

Honored Contributor

@Suebdoo wrote:

@Shanus I thought you were a former makeup artist, but because you are currently doing clients, I have a question.  Do they ask for highlighter and illumination?  Curious because when I've had mine done, years ago, I was asked about items before they did anything.  Like did I want or use eyeliner everyday.  Of course this was done at a counter to sell products.  I just wondered if you have a makeup artist for an event, if the client wants highlighter, do you use it?

@Suebdoo  Because highlighting/illuminating is the current trend, many ask about it. If the client insists, I let them know that I only do it in a natural, almost invisible way. That’s usually what they want anyway...on their own, they go overboard. 

Because I use different mu lines & not selling products, I’m not obligated to “push” contouring w/ a certain bronzer, overly done eyes so I can sell a shadow palette, liners, mascara & other items the client doesn’t need. I’d much rather show them how to achieve a better look w/ products similar to what they may already own. Then if they ask to purchase the navy liner I used, that’s OK. 

There are times that require heavier makeup...photo shoots, fashion shows, etc. I can still do contouring/highlighting...in a natural way. The key is lots of blending and starting w/ a tiny bit and building as you blend. 

Honored Contributor

@Suebdoo. For oily complexions, I tend to use a slightly shimmered eye shadow to highlight & a powder bronzer...always matte. For drier skin types, I use a stick highlighter...easier to apply. Put some on a brush from the stick. For contour, I like to use foundation sticks that are a few shades darker than foundation.

Hey, now you have my secrets.

Honored Contributor

Re: Racoon Eyes

[ Edited ]

Earlier this week my neighbor's five y o granddaughter was helping me straighten out my jewelry boxes. The news was on and the current head man was justifying something. I was asked why he always has white circles all around his eyes. I just shrugged my shoulders and turned the channel. I need one of you to give me a simple explanation because it'll come up again. 'Splain please. TIA.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.