Honored Contributor

ROSE-MARIE SWIFT/RMS BEAUTY QUESTIONS

OK. This "clean beauty" brand is phenomenal. It's a new concept...cream products that dry down to a not powder finish, but rather a not as creamy as when applied if that makes sense....but a very workable makeup line. There are not that many products, but all serve a purpose and sometimes one product can be used in several areas of the face/body. 

I met Rose-Marie when I was working w/ Bobbi Brown. In fact Bobbi had some of Rose-Marie's jars that she used herself (and probably still does). Bobbi always had very dry skin and looked for creamy products. Ro was sitting on a high stool doing makeup for a photo shoot and Bobbi brought me along to assist her. In the early days, I was learning by watching and absorbed by seeing what other artists were doing. Bobbi and Rose-Marie had a unique way of using products and still having the models look natural, youthful and not changing their features w/ contour, etc. 

I thought last night's show was just a smattering of what the line is really like. She has no investors, so free to make her own decisions about where the products are placed and what she wants to do to promote the line. I wish they had given her a 2 hr. spot to further explain of the makeup and get into her personal feelings how the line came about and take the time needed to explain each product/shades/how to use them, etc. 

It was a very rushed hour and although many things sold out, I'm not sure Rose-Marie had time to explain the use and value of each product...not even the shades. She did seem somewhat nervous, but being so rushed and so many questions thrown at her at once didn't help. She;s a soft spoken woman and somewhat shy, so being on TV was probably quite unsettling.

Her products are great....expensive for the small amount you receive (the jar of foundation is $52), but it's purpose is to be used quite sparingly and it will last a long time if used as intended. 

When Bobbi Brown came out with Jones Road, I was a little worried that so many of her products seemed similar in nature...clean beauty, "see the skin and not the makeup", powders not necessary,  Bobbi's "Miracle Balm", which to me is similar to the luminizer, etc. I think Bobbi had RMS Beauty in mind when she created her Jones Road. It's not a copy, but the same idea.

This is the direction of makeup for the future...clean, minimal, less products that are multi-purpose. Rose-Marie must be in her 60's like Bobbi. I appreciate a line not just for 18 yr. old. models. I appreciate that this is makeup for us, too. 

The shades are easy to choose if you know your skintone. ****The shade numbers with ".5" are more neutral...not cool or warm", so if you're not sure, go to one of those. Most women are between 2 shades and purchase both so they can mix to match different areas of the face...lighter in the center to naturally keep light there and the next shade down to match the actual skin shade andavoid a line of demarcation at the jaw to neck. 

If anyone's familiar with Gucci Westman's Atelier line, it's a similar concept...clean beauty, minimal products, see the skin,not the makeup, etc. Gucci uses stick foundations that are a creamy consistency and quite natural looking.

When Rose-Marie sent Bobbi a sample of her products in 1999 or early 2000, all of us at Bobbi's offices tried it. It was a strange line to understand at first that long ago....clean beauty was WHAT? Bare Minerals was one of the only products to compare it to and that was a powder. Rose-Marie was against powdering. 

She's a front runner with her RMS line. I know Sephora and Bleumercary carry it and if you can get there or go on those sites, there is more help with shade selection. 

***I'm an Alabaster for the center of my face and Fair for the rest. No, I don't use the foundations because I'm not a fan of full coverage. I have used her concealer and it's wonderful for very dark circles or places on your face that need extra coverage. Her mascara is wonderful, but I'm a drugstore mascara gal. The blush is not that differrent from othrs. On models, she sometimes just used the concealer and no foundation. 

Whoa! Another long post, but I was so excited when I saw RMS on Q's schedule and see her line get the "recognition" it deserves. It's not advertised very much. You'd have to look at credits when you see models in magazines like Vogue, Bazaar, etc. 

I hope QVC gives her another spot with the 2 hrs. she needs to give explanations and more of her excellent knowledge of makeup.

Honored Contributor

Re: ROSE-MARIE SWIFT/RMS BEAUTY QUESTIONS

@Shanus Thank you so much Shanus for all of the good info! I appreciated it..I also hope next time she has a longer show, I was only able to see 10minutes of it.....With combo skin, I am a little worried about a cream formula with oils in it for my foundation, any thoughts on that? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus  Thanks for the insight. I tuned into the show for a few minutes. I read reviews on her products before the show and they are very mixed, so I was not that interested in trying her line. I am trying not to buy any color cosmetics until I get into the stores to see them for myself. I find it always a disappointment in that the color I see on the tv or computer is rarely what I see in person.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

@Shanus Thank you so much Shanus for all of the good info! I appreciated it..I also hope next time she has a longer show, I was only able to see 10minutes of it.....With combo skin, I am a little worried about a cream formula with oils in it for my foundation, any thoughts on that? Thanks!

@CANDLEQUEEN   On her show last night, she mentioned just a bit of powder in the T Zone. I think even on oily skin, it's a youthful look to have a bit of glow/dewey look to the cheeks, etc....hence her Luminizer for those of us with dry skin or combination skin. I think she explained that a powdered down, matte face was not natural looking.

The oils she uses (and didn't have time to explain) are "dry oils". The foundation, for example, dries down to a more matte, but not powder finish. It'd be a makeup you'd have to try and see "THE LOOK". If you're used to a foundation that's very matte or use pwoder all over after foundation, I don't think you'll like this makeup. 

Valued Contributor

@Shanus 

Thanks so much . When I went cruelty free about 9 years ago . RMS was the first line I tried . I think RoseMarie is lovely and have watched her on Credo stores  Live beauty events  . Her Living luminizing is the best highlighter out there  . iI have oily acne prone skin . Many if not all her products have coconut oil in them . Many people can use coconut oil without any issues., but those who can't know it can be problematic  I was able to use her concealer under my eyes and her  lip2cheek products . Unfortunately her concealer iwas a no-go on my cheeks . I have heard good things about her new foundation . 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Thanks Shanus......I think I would actually like the foundation. I don't like a matte, powdery look, although I do use a non-talc powder for my tzone after applying my foundation once in the morning only! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@marmarbrooklyn wrote:

@Shanus 

Thanks so much . When I went cruelty free about 9 years ago . RMS was the first line I tried . I think RoseMarie is lovely and have watched her on Credo stores  Live beauty events  . Her Living luminizing is the best highlighter out there  . iI have oily acne prone skin . Many if not all her products have coconut oil in them . Many people can use coconut oil without any issues., but those who can't know it can be problematic  I was able to use her concealer under my eyes and her  lip2cheek products . Unfortunately her concealer iwas a no-go on my cheeks . I have heard good things about her new foundation . 

@marmarbrooklyn   Coconut oil is an issue for some people. I can use it for cleansing, but not on a regular basis. My pores begin to revolt. I think it's a heavy oil that doesn't rinse off completely. In makeups, if your sensitive to it, it can also clog pores, cause some redness and just be generally too oily for you. I prefer more dry oils like argan, jojoba and the heavier marula. I like almond oil, too as a carrier oil when I use any essential oils. 

If you begin to study the trends, clean beauty is taking over the makeup counters. A larger majority of people are trying to eat cleaner, be concerned about the environment, landfills, etc. Sephora, for example, has more clean beauty lines than ever before. The other lines may try to follow just to stay current.

Esteemed Contributor

@ShanusThanks for your insight!

I watched, too, and I was wondering what you thought! (If you had seen the program.)

It's beyond me why anyone wants to pile it on, when they already have a beautiful face! I was happy to hear RM's concept of making up!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

@ShanusThanks for your insight!

I watched, too, and I was wondering what you thought! (If you had seen the program.)

It's beyond me why anyone wants to pile it on, when they already have a beautiful face! I was happy to hear RM's concept of making up!

@Harpa  You're always welcome. I appreciate your wanting to know my opinion.  It goes along with my theory that great skincare is Number One in importance. Makeup or the lack of it is secondary. The better you care for your skin, the less you need to cover it up.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am using Gucci Westman's Atelier line. I'm interested to see how this one compares. Wasn't too thrilled with some of Gucci's products; they were hit or miss for me.