Honored Contributor

Re: RMS VS. JONES ROAD BEAUTY PRODUCTS

@Shanus 

Wait!  The trend for this Spring is MORE foundation coverage?  I'll be skipping this trend for sure.  I've been loving the skin tint revolution.  But I'm all in for more blush Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

@Shanus  You know (I think you know) I do not do much makeup. But thank you for sharing your reviews!

Neither of these women are spring chicks, themselves. I think what they are trying to say is that it is better (in some way) that gals in their age bracket use less heavy foundations with that powdery-cakey look. And that you can enhance skin that is not all that perfect (i.e., younger skin) with other texture makeup -- hence the balms. Thick enough to make it stay, and you can always sheer it out accordingly.

Aren't they also both saying to only apply foundation where needed, and not all over? Did I pick that up from RMS when she was on Q the last time?

@Harpa   Hello. Very few women, even spring chickens, can get by with a completely naked face and some balm on the cheeks.

Fast forward and Jones Road and RMS came out with concealer. JR has concealer/complexion pencils and RMS  has concealer in a pot. The JR pencils are said to be purchased in 2 or 3 shades to use as concealer under eyes and a complexion correct shade to use to cover redness, etc. 

I always feel less is more w/ foundation, especially...That does not mean none, just to go easy and stay away from full coverage and/or matte finishes. Concealers can pick up the slack in the areas where a bit more coverage is needed. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Shanus 

Wait!  The trend for this Spring is MORE foundation coverage?  I'll be skipping this trend for sure.  I've been loving the skin tint revolution.  But I'm all in for more blush Smiley Happy

@monicakm   Sorry. Uh oh, left out the word "less" before coverage...even showing freckles, a few red/darker areas and not to do a mask like finish. Then you'd need to go back and add some contours and sometimes too much bronzer and blush to bring life back to the face. 

I like skin tints, tinted moisturizers and daily moisturizer added to foundations before application.....at any age.

***I'll go back and edit my post, thanks.

Honored Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:

@depglass wrote:

When I hear the word balm I think oil.  Exactly what is the definition?  I once had a sample of Elemis cleansing balm, which I ended up throwing out.  After hearing a host say it was one of Elemis's best products, I should have given it more of a chance.

Not sure you would have liked the Elemis cleansing balm if you kept using it ... has not been my experience. I tried the Paula's Choice cleansing oil and it made my skin feel too tight. So I tried the Elemis cleansing balm (small package size) and it also left my skin feeling tight afterwards. Not sure what I will try next. The gentle Cetaphil leaves skin feeling nice, but it does not completely take off the sunscreen. 

@kate2357   I do find an oil cleanser removes sunscreen the best and then follow with a mild foaming cleanser.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

LOL, I'm so bad about leaving out entire words.  My brain is too slow or my hands are too fast.  Haven't figured out yet which Smiley Tongue

@kate2357 

A dermatologist from NYC that I watch o YT broke it down like this...if you're dry, use a balm makeup remover.  If you're oil, use an oil.  I've used Tatcha makeup removing oil for a few years.  Like it.  No dryness.  Recently changed to Glow Recipe makeup cleansing BALM.  Like it too but I'm pretty sure the oil lasts a lot longer than the balm is going to.  Both have gotten the job done and didn't dry out my face.  I'll probably go back to the Tatcha due to price.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now how would say Westman Atelier compares to these two lines? That has become my new favorite line. I do have some RMS, and I was a Bobbie Brown devotee years past, but since it sold to Estee Lauder the quality has changed. I really like Gucci Westman's line except for the foundation as I prefer lighter coverage and use the ILIA skin serum, which I love! Nice light coverage with a dewy finish.