Esteemed Contributor

RETIN A USERS - I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU ~

After applying your Retin A at night, do you put anything over it as in an oil or moisturizer?  I have read a couple different posts here on other threads that made me wonder.  Some said they moisturized afterward.  Would this breakdown the efficacy of the RA?  

During the winter I pressed some of Josie's Reserve oil around my lips and eyes because of severe dryness after applying my RA.  

Anyone care to share what they do?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: RETIN A USERS - I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU ~

I wash my face with soap and water before applying Retin-A at night.  Use nothing until morning when I apply a moisturizer.  

Depending on how much my skin is peeling, and I'm not wearing face makeup, I might apply moisturizer again during the day.  

If my skin is peeling too much, I apply Retin-A every other day.  

Respected Contributor

I follow the advice of dermatologist Dr. Dray who suggests applying a moisturizer first, letting it sink in and then applying tretinoin on top. She says that this way, it makes for less irritation because the moisturizer acts as a buffer for the tretinoin. Also, she says that a moisturized skin barrier is more receptive to the tretinoin. 

I don't apply anything on top of the tretinoin because that combination doesn't leave my face feeling dry. 

Honored Contributor

I do use a moisturizer, and sometimes an oil.  Sometimes I'll wash my face and moisturize right after dinner and then just apply the Tretinoin at bedtime.  Other days, I'll do the whole shootin' works at bedtime - cleanse, Essence, Tretinoin, eye cream, moisturizer (sometimes oil) with no waiting in between.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use tret all by itself every night. When it's layered with anything else then the effects of the tret are slowed down. In other words layering moisturizers or oils with tret will delay it's intended actions so there will be a longer period of time to see results.

Excessive flaking/dryness and/or redness should be addressed by decreasing the frequency of application (until your skin adjusts) or go with using a smaller dose. The goal is to get your skin to accept using tret every single night as it was formulated to use.

Honored Contributor

I don't use anything under or over the Ret A.  If my face is dry (like during winter) I don't apply everynight.

Honored Contributor

If your skin is having difficulties getting past the dryness/flaking/redness then you might consider using a micro-tretinoin. 'Micro' dose means the tret is delivered into the skin in small doses over time...sort of a time-release thing. Micro is the same drug and dosage as the regular tret but what makes the micro different is the way it has been formulated with a special type of delivery system so your skin gets small doses over time which means there is very little side effects.  Most micro-tret comes in gel only. I have not seen them made in a cream version. fyi.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee I think that using a moisturizer first kind of has the same function, i.e. slowing penetration, therefore reducing irritation. It might take longer to see results but, if you're in it for the long haul (going on 4 years for me) it doesn't really matter too much. I'm seeing great results with very little peeling or irritation, using tretinoin every night.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

After applying your Retin A at night, do you put anything over it as in an oil or moisturizer?  I have read a couple different posts here on other threads that made me wonder.  Some said they moisturized afterward.  Would this breakdown the efficacy of the RA?  

During the winter I pressed some of Josie's Reserve oil around my lips and eyes because of severe dryness after applying my RA.  

Anyone care to share what they do?

@tends2dogs   Since I've used Retin A for about 30 yrs., I can say it's necessary to begin w/ the lowest % and be consistant. Yes, peeling and redness does occur and IMHO, putting an oil or moisturizer on top defeats the purpose of exfoliation. 

If your skin looks especially dry/peeling in winter, skip a night or two and use a moisturizer on those nights instead. 

Even after all these years of use, I still have to take a night off here or there (mostly in colder months). The fact that I also use Vit.C and acid peel pads in the morning routine, sometimes makes the Retin A more difficult for me. It's a "dance" to see what works best for you. Remember your skin will be extra sun sensitive....SPF is crutial. 

Honored Contributor

Using a micro-tret is not the same thing as layering a moisturizer with regular tret. The difference happens beneath the surface where the tret is released in micro doses at the cellular level. There is no slowing down at the surface when you apply a micro-tret. Tret's acts on cells beneath the surface and so does it's anti-aging effects. The redness/peeling is a side effect of what is happening beneath the surface. Peeling is not the primary action of tret and it's anti-aging effects happen at the cellular level where you can't see it. Yes, the peeling is anti-aging in itself but that is not the reason why tret was made to be an anti-aging product.

@Texasmouse