Valued Contributor

I have never tried Retin A but I think I will soon.

Honored Contributor

Having combo / oily skin, I don't put anything over the Retin - A,

the product is enough moisture for my skin.

I have used it for > 20 years.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

My dermatologist told me not to use anything before or after Retin-A.  Use a moisturizer the next morning.  It works for me.  

Honored Contributor

Re: RETIN A QUESTION

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

My dermatologist told me not to use anything before or after Retin-A.  Use a moisturizer the next morning.  It works for me.  

@Foxxee   Same here w/ Retin A. I started applying it about 35-40 years ago and never used anything on top. 

I do use the Obagi system every 3-4 months for 6 weeks. It has a "Blender" product as one of the steps and that's used at night w/ Retin A (combined in hand,mixed together, before application). It has hydoquinone and the Retin A is its booster. 

I don't use a moisturizer on top of Retin A. My opthomologist would not approve of vaseline near the eyes. When it liquifies during the night, it can move into the eyes. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Applying an occlusive product, such as Vaseline, on top of most any active will allow the active ingredients to penetrate the skin deeper. The reason is b/c the Vaseline prevents water loss and water in the skin makes the skin more absorbent.

Applying a moisturizer before or after an active will slow the effects of the active by creating a layer between the active and your skin. Moisturizers create a suspension where an active is slowed down by a physical layer.

So, @SilleeMee , do you recommend using another product with Retin A?  I understood your explanation (I think), but I am not sure what my take away is from what you said. When you say " slows the effects", do you mean during the night, or your overall results are slowed down?  Do you apply anything over your RA?  I still have a slight peeling, but nothing I can't handle.  TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Applying an occlusive product, such as Vaseline, on top of most any active will allow the active ingredients to penetrate the skin deeper. The reason is b/c the Vaseline prevents water loss and water in the skin makes the skin more absorbent.

Applying a moisturizer before or after an active will slow the effects of the active by creating a layer between the active and your skin. Moisturizers create a suspension where an active is slowed down by a physical layer.

So, @SilleeMee , do you recommend using another product with Retin A?  I understood your explanation (I think), but I am not sure what my take away is from what you said. When you say " slows the effects", do you mean during the night, or your overall results are slowed down?  Do you apply anything over your RA?  I still have a slight peeling, but nothing I can't handle.  TIA

@tends2dogs 

I would use tretinoin as a stand-alone product at night. Remember that is it a drug and it is suppose to be used as indicated on the package insert provided to you by the manufacturer. That will insure the product efficacy. 

If you choose to alter the application of tret then you will be altering it's effects as well. Managing the side effects from using tret is a whole different ballpark and they can vary from person to person. Dryness is a big issue but I would not try and tackle that problem while applying tret but by doing that afterwards. Excessive dryness/irritation should be handled by decreasing the frequency of tret application and not by diluting it with anything for instance with a moisturizer. If you insist on using a moisturizer then wait at least 30 minutes before applying the moisturizer. That's about how long it takes for tret to absorb. In fact, 30 minutes after applying tret you can even wipe off your face of any excess and still experience the benefits from tret. 

If flaking and dryness persists then you might want to consider using a lower concentration and applying it every night instead of skipping nights with a stronger one.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs 

Currently I'm using two different strengths of tret, .05% and 0.1%. I'm doing this in an attempt to eventually stop using the .05% and then ultimately use only the 0.1%. But after many months of using the 0.1% I'm still having excessive flaking and dryness. So I've come to believe that my skin just will not adjust to using that higher dose and I will stop using the higher dose.  Not happy about that but that's just the way it is.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee Thanks so much for taking the time to explain.  I will continue to just use my .05% alone each night.  As I mentioned before, I can manage the flaking that I am getting.  It is mostly in the nasal labial folds.......Gosh that sounds gross LOL.  I bought the .1% gel from ADT and gave it a trial, but it was too harsh for me.  

One reason I was asking is that I purchased an antioxidant serum by Schwanen Garten a Korean based company.  I was thinking of adding that at night.  I will just continue to work it into my morning routine, using it after my Alpha glycolic serum and before my SPF.

Thanks for all your help.  

OT did you ever post what you use to wash your windows?Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee Thanks so much for taking the time to explain.  I will continue to just use my .05% alone each night.  As I mentioned before, I can manage the flaking that I am getting.  It is mostly in the nasal labial folds.......Gosh that sounds gross LOL.  I bought the .1% gel from ADT and gave it a trial, but it was too harsh for me.  

One reason I was asking is that I purchased an antioxidant serum by Schwanen Garten a Korean based company.  I was thinking of adding that at night.  I will just continue to work it into my morning routine, using it after my Alpha glycolic serum and before my SPF.

Thanks for all your help.  

OT did you ever post what you use to wash your windows?Woman Very Happy

@tends2dogs 

I did!  I use 2 gallons of water with 2 cups vinegar and 1 tablespoon Dawn. Put that in a bucket and use a window-washing scrubbie/squeegee thing to do the job on the outside windows. Inside I use Invisible Glass pump spray.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Wow, how did I ever miss that???

Thanks for reposting. @SilleeMee  Woman Happy