Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,851
Registered: ‎05-08-2010

  I have been using Retin A for a couple years now.  I figure better late than never, but I wish I would have started using it years ago.

 

Anyway, my question is this:  are you suppose to put anything under or over it?  I have been a purist and only applied RA (after waiting 15 to 20 minutes) with nothing else.  I am curious if it diminishes any of the benefits to add anything else.  I would love to seal it in with an oil or some other face product.

 

Can anyone offer a bit of guidance?  TIA

"Greater is the One living inside of me, than he who is living in the world."
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,416
Registered: ‎10-03-2011

@tends2dogs wrote:

  I have been using Retin A for a couple years now.  I figure better late than never, but I wish I would have started using it years ago.

 

Anyway, my question is this:  are you suppose to put anything under or over it?  I have been a purist and only applied RA (after waiting 15 to 20 minutes) with nothing else.  I am curious if it diminishes any of the benefits to add anything else.  I would love to seal it in with an oil or some other face product.

 

Can anyone offer a bit of guidance?  TIA


Yes, @tends2dogs.  I do my regular PM routine (makeup removal, cleanse, serum, moisturizer) sometime after dinner and before 8:00PM.  At bedtime, a few nights a week, I apply the RetinA and a lip mask. 

I decided to to the moisturizer in the evening and RetinA at bedtime after reading an article that included an opinion from a dermatologist and that was her routine.  I wish I could remember her name, to look it up again.  All I remember is that her last name started with a B

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,600
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

I don't know who the dermatologist was, but on a segment of Kelly & Ryan she said that applying petroleum jelly over Retin-A enhanced it.  She didn't explain further, but I did that during the winter.  I can't handle it in summer though.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,851
Registered: ‎05-08-2010

Thanks, @JeanLouiseFinch .  So you apply RA over your moisturizer?  And you don't use it every night?  Have you been doing this for years and years?  I wish I wasn't so late to this party because I can't believe the difference in my skin since I have been using it.  Just the clearing of pores has been worth it.  I have added the Alpha glycolic serum in the morning and that has been a nice boost to my results.  

 

Maybe no one else would notice, but on this almost 69 year old face, I am happy.  Thanks for responding. Woman Happy

"Greater is the One living inside of me, than he who is living in the world."
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,851
Registered: ‎05-08-2010

@Icegoddess wrote:

I don't know who the dermatologist was, but on a segment of Kelly & Ryan she said that applying petroleum jelly over Retin-A enhanced it.  She didn't explain further, but I did that during the winter.  I can't handle it in summer though.


I wonder what she meant by enhancing, @Icegoddess .  Does it boost the RA's effects or does it seal it in?  Did you notice a better result doing this?  

"Greater is the One living inside of me, than he who is living in the world."
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,210
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: RETIN A QUESTION

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess  I posted in another topic that I have been putting Vaseline over the retin a that I use under my eyes for years. For me, I just have always used Vaseline as my eye cream at night, so when I started using Retin A 12 years I just kept up the habit. I do not smear it on my face over the retin a. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,416
Registered: ‎10-03-2011

Re: RETIN A QUESTION

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

Thanks, @JeanLouiseFinch .  So you apply RA over your moisturizer?  And you don't use it every night?  Have you been doing this for years and years?  I wish I wasn't so late to this party because I can't believe the difference in my skin since I have been using it.  Just the clearing of pores has been worth it.  I have added the Alpha glycolic serum in the morning and that has been a nice boost to my results.  

 

Maybe no one else would notice, but on this almost 69 year old face, I am happy.  Thanks for responding. Woman Happy


Good for you! 👊

 

That's correct, @tends2dogs .  The moisturizer will act as a buffer, to help against the peeling.  Keep in mind, though, that my particular moisturizer isn't super thick, heavy, or occlusive.  It's completely absorbed by the time I apply the Tretinoin.  I've tried using the RetinA/Tretinoin every night and my face just won't acclimate to that schedule this time around, but I keep trying. When I first used it, 15 yrs. ago or so, I had no problem - used the highest strength nightly for a number of years.  I eventually quit and didn't use it for several years.  I've been back on for about a year and a half.  I've tried getting back to the highest strength consistently but I still get irritated  and peeling if I use too often.  Then I have to stop, fix my skin, and start again.  So now I'm alternating between the .05% and .1% a few nights a week and on the nights in between the RetinA, I'm using the PTR Retinol Fusion.  I'm slowly increasing the RetinA/Tretinoin nights. I also use a mild glycolic pad (Dr. Nassif's original detox pad) in the morning.  I like them a lot. They have exfoliating ingredients but aren't overly strong or drying.

 

One way or another, I think I'm doing something right.  The other day, DH and I went to a wake, saw a number of ladies that I haven't seen in many years.  Some of them were really wrinkly.   😳🤷‍♀️

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,600
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

According to Dr. Google, it enhances penetration and can make your skin soft. There are warnings that enhancing the penetration can result in enhanced side effects like peeling.  I have only been using Tretinoin Micro at the lowest level for a short time and only once/week as twice a week would cause peeling (and I wasn't using the petroleum jelly at that time).  I don't plan on trying to up my use until winter because I'm outside a lot in summer.  However, I will say I have noticed my face is very soft now compared to before.  Whether it's the petroleum jelly or not, I can't say since I'm not currently using it.  I do use the PTR Retinol on the nights I don't use the Tretinoin.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,255
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Applying an occlusive product, such as Vaseline, on top of most any active will allow the active ingredients to penetrate the skin deeper. The reason is b/c the Vaseline prevents water loss and water in the skin makes the skin more absorbent.

 

Applying a moisturizer before or after an active will slow the effects of the active by creating a layer between the active and your skin. Moisturizers create a suspension where an active is slowed down by a physical layer.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 35,891
Registered: ‎01-08-2011

I was under a dermatologist's care when I used Retin A for cystic acne.  I used moisturizer successfully.