Esteemed Contributor

I have been using Retin A for a couple years now.  I figure better late than never, but I wish I would have started using it years ago.

Anyway, my question is this:  are you suppose to put anything under or over it?  I have been a purist and only applied RA (after waiting 15 to 20 minutes) with nothing else.  I am curious if it diminishes any of the benefits to add anything else.  I would love to seal it in with an oil or some other face product.

Can anyone offer a bit of guidance?  TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I have been using Retin A for a couple years now.  I figure better late than never, but I wish I would have started using it years ago.

Anyway, my question is this:  are you suppose to put anything under or over it?  I have been a purist and only applied RA (after waiting 15 to 20 minutes) with nothing else.  I am curious if it diminishes any of the benefits to add anything else.  I would love to seal it in with an oil or some other face product.

Can anyone offer a bit of guidance?  TIA

Yes, @tends2dogs.  I do my regular PM routine (makeup removal, cleanse, serum, moisturizer) sometime after dinner and before 8:00PM.  At bedtime, a few nights a week, I apply the RetinA and a lip mask. 

I decided to to the moisturizer in the evening and RetinA at bedtime after reading an article that included an opinion from a dermatologist and that was her routine.  I wish I could remember her name, to look it up again.  All I remember is that her last name started with a B

Honored Contributor

I don't know who the dermatologist was, but on a segment of Kelly & Ryan she said that applying petroleum jelly over Retin-A enhanced it.  She didn't explain further, but I did that during the winter.  I can't handle it in summer though.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @JeanLouiseFinch .  So you apply RA over your moisturizer?  And you don't use it every night?  Have you been doing this for years and years?  I wish I wasn't so late to this party because I can't believe the difference in my skin since I have been using it.  Just the clearing of pores has been worth it.  I have added the Alpha glycolic serum in the morning and that has been a nice boost to my results.  

Maybe no one else would notice, but on this almost 69 year old face, I am happy.  Thanks for responding. Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I don't know who the dermatologist was, but on a segment of Kelly & Ryan she said that applying petroleum jelly over Retin-A enhanced it.  She didn't explain further, but I did that during the winter.  I can't handle it in summer though.

I wonder what she meant by enhancing, @Icegoddess .  Does it boost the RA's effects or does it seal it in?  Did you notice a better result doing this?  

Respected Contributor

Re: RETIN A QUESTION

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess  I posted in another topic that I have been putting Vaseline over the retin a that I use under my eyes for years. For me, I just have always used Vaseline as my eye cream at night, so when I started using Retin A 12 years I just kept up the habit. I do not smear it on my face over the retin a. 

Honored Contributor

Re: RETIN A QUESTION

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

Thanks, @JeanLouiseFinch .  So you apply RA over your moisturizer?  And you don't use it every night?  Have you been doing this for years and years?  I wish I wasn't so late to this party because I can't believe the difference in my skin since I have been using it.  Just the clearing of pores has been worth it.  I have added the Alpha glycolic serum in the morning and that has been a nice boost to my results.  

Maybe no one else would notice, but on this almost 69 year old face, I am happy.  Thanks for responding. Woman Happy

Good for you! 👊

That's correct, @tends2dogs .  The moisturizer will act as a buffer, to help against the peeling.  Keep in mind, though, that my particular moisturizer isn't super thick, heavy, or occlusive.  It's completely absorbed by the time I apply the Tretinoin.  I've tried using the RetinA/Tretinoin every night and my face just won't acclimate to that schedule this time around, but I keep trying. When I first used it, 15 yrs. ago or so, I had no problem - used the highest strength nightly for a number of years.  I eventually quit and didn't use it for several years.  I've been back on for about a year and a half.  I've tried getting back to the highest strength consistently but I still get irritated  and peeling if I use too often.  Then I have to stop, fix my skin, and start again.  So now I'm alternating between the .05% and .1% a few nights a week and on the nights in between the RetinA, I'm using the PTR Retinol Fusion.  I'm slowly increasing the RetinA/Tretinoin nights. I also use a mild glycolic pad (Dr. Nassif's original detox pad) in the morning.  I like them a lot. They have exfoliating ingredients but aren't overly strong or drying.

One way or another, I think I'm doing something right.  The other day, DH and I went to a wake, saw a number of ladies that I haven't seen in many years.  Some of them were really wrinkly.   😳🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

According to Dr. Google, it enhances penetration and can make your skin soft. There are warnings that enhancing the penetration can result in enhanced side effects like peeling.  I have only been using Tretinoin Micro at the lowest level for a short time and only once/week as twice a week would cause peeling (and I wasn't using the petroleum jelly at that time).  I don't plan on trying to up my use until winter because I'm outside a lot in summer.  However, I will say I have noticed my face is very soft now compared to before.  Whether it's the petroleum jelly or not, I can't say since I'm not currently using it.  I do use the PTR Retinol on the nights I don't use the Tretinoin.

Honored Contributor

Applying an occlusive product, such as Vaseline, on top of most any active will allow the active ingredients to penetrate the skin deeper. The reason is b/c the Vaseline prevents water loss and water in the skin makes the skin more absorbent.

Applying a moisturizer before or after an active will slow the effects of the active by creating a layer between the active and your skin. Moisturizers create a suspension where an active is slowed down by a physical layer.

Honored Contributor

I was under a dermatologist's care when I used Retin A for cystic acne.  I used moisturizer successfully.