Trusted Contributor

Re: REPORT: BACK FROM CHARLOTTE

@Shanus wrote:

@persiflage wrote:

It sound's as if this event wasn't coordinated with the cosmetic companies.  I worked for a large cosmetic company from the late 1970's through the early 2000's.  Presentations of upcoming promotions were made to corporate buyers and orders placed at least 2 quarters ahead of on counter dates, field representatives were out selling to their accounts at that time as well.  When we had "schools" for a new launch, product training or Christmas items samples of product were sent ahead of the event,  sometimes a new product sample is very limited and has to be overnighted to the location of the event, then sent on to the next.

Color cosmetics are fashion so for a trend to saturate the market usually isn't immediate.  We had a great 2 page ad in Life magazine for their 50th anniversary issue.  This ad had an image of our color promotions for each of those 50 years, it was really a fabulous commentary on women's fashion and the lives of women through time.

@persiflage   Your events and promotions sound perfectly planned. This was several curious makeup artists on an outing to Charlotte. We were too early for Holiday presentations, but I can tell by the fashion colors in NY Fashion Week, we’re not headed for big cosmetic color changes anyway. We’ll probably go to NY in Nov. 

@Shanus NY in November?  Where may I meet you?  Giggles.  That sounds like fun.  Cannot wait to read that report.  Squeals of glee.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Be prepared for muddy, ruddy blush shades and lip colors in matte. That horrible matte that looks great on no one is not going away soon. There are also more tubes of liquid lipstick than bullets...a trend I’m not fond of either. That’s across the board, drugstores, too. 

Great...So I can look dusty, feverish, parched, chapped, and sickly. Yeah! Good thing the powder products I already have and love will last me for years. One day someday the trend will be pretty, subtle, healthy, happy tones for all of us. And I will buy MULTIPLES.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Bobbi Brown sent me a matte lipstick as part of a free gift. Forget about the matte lipstick of yesteryear. The new matte lipsticks are no longer dry and cakey. Their’s was long wearing, moist and beautiful.

Do not expect to see makeup aimed at women over 60. Marketing stats claim we don’t buy it and the 60 year olds + are not the target audience from advertisers...

Honored Contributor

@haddon9   My friends are sending in their complaining emails, as well. We’re also going to give some suggestions about leaving out most of the shimmers/bright colors from at least some palettes for us. We silver haired beauties are not the only ones who prefer cool tones. A fellow artist on the trip was a blue eyed brunette in her late 50’s and she’s so tired of shimmering neutrals and earth-toned shadows that are all too dark.  

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Be prepared for muddy, ruddy blush shades and lip colors in matte. That horrible matte that looks great on no one is not going away soon. There are also more tubes of liquid lipstick than bullets...a trend I’m not fond of either. That’s across the board, drugstores, too. 

Great...So I can look dusty, feverish, parched, chapped, and sickly. Yeah! Good thing the powder products I already have and love will last me for years. One day someday the trend will be pretty, subtle, healthy, happy tones for all of us. And I will buy MULTIPLES.

@Porcelain  I doubt you look that awful now, so just remember to not powder up too much. Metallics are a no, but a healthy, moist cheek, yes. I always spray on a setting spray if I’ve used powder just to play it safe....after all makeup, but before mascara.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Bobbi Brown sent me a matte lipstick as part of a free gift. Forget about the matte lipstick of yesteryear. The new matte lipsticks are no longer dry and cakey. Their’s was long wearing, moist and beautiful.

Do not expect to see makeup aimed at women over 60. Marketing stats claim we don’t buy it and the 60 year olds + are not the target audience from advertisers...

@Trinity11   When the ones following YouTube makeup got the memo about the “Sharpie brows”, it filtered down from Tom Ford to Revlon to Maybelline, etc. As soon as they realize that looking overly made up, heavy coverage foundation that conceals every spot and freckle, the market will follow, too. It’s not a flattering look for anyone. Example? The closeups of the Q models. 

Super Contributor

@Shanus   I did order an LM stick dup from Sephora-Amethyst and Nude matte; again thinking a bit outside of the box for me. 

Using Clinique CC cream, esp. during warm coastal weather, some BB Antigua/ Golden Lt. bronzer. Lt. brown Milani eyebrow mascara

I think the little bit of shimmer in the LM stick will be ok; I dont have wrinkled or textured eyes or lids. Haircolor is a cool med. brown, down to my waist.

I may be older but I still want to look pretty. If I have to put things together for myself in lieu of a cosmetic house or artist to do it, so be it.

I still use a lot of Robert Cook's color directions for cooler weather or when I want a more dramatic look (not too often).