Trusted Contributor

I have a question that was not addressed in the discussion of whether or not to use primer on older eyes.  I have found that if I do not use a primer, my eyeshadow is gone by late afternoon and I do not have oily eyelids,  I have tried using cream eyeshadows, including Bobbi Brown's without a primer and the color still creeps and settles into my eye creases.

For those of you who have opted out of eye primer, do you find that your eye shadow still lasts as long as it did when you used a primer?

Honored Contributor

Re: RE: Primer for Older Eyes

This exactly why I do use primer; as the eyeshadow does fade at the end of the day when I did not use a primer. A primer is now a must for me.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I think it all depends on which shadow/liner you use. If I use Laura G eye rimz(love this in plum like it hot) with her     eye rimz brush it lasts me a good 8 to 10 hours without a primer using it wet/damp. I love this as my liner and don't need a shadow using this.

if I use anything else I use the ELF lid primer and yes, that does help other shadow/liners to last longer.

So, all depends on the shadow/liner you use or so I find. I have dry mature skin and sometimes a bit sensitve.

Respected Contributor

I've been using LG's eyelid primer for YEARS.  It's the best.  My shadow goes on at 4AM and is there until I take it off at 11PM.  

Super Contributor

i had been using Trish McEvoy it started to be too drying now I am using Kat Von D's eye shadow primer this is a new product and I really like it, shadow stays on without creasing and my eye lids are smooth.

Respected Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

I have a question that was not addressed in the discussion of whether or not to use primer on older eyes.  I have found that if I do not use a primer, my eyeshadow is gone by late afternoon and I do not have oily eyelids,  I have tried using cream eyeshadows, including Bobbi Brown's without a primer and the color still creeps and settles into my eye creases.

For those of you who have opted out of eye primer, do you find that your eye shadow still lasts as long as it did when you used a primer?

@Quinny

Most of the time mine actually does last without fading and creasing.  If it's humid out though... forget about it- that's futile.  I do my eyes before other makeup to clean up any fall-out.  I'm possibly not getting the intensity of color & need to make sure to wipe away any residual moisturizer.  I then add moisturizer under eye & rest of face after eyes are done and proceed with concealer.. etc.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@doglover3-

Thanks for mentioning ElF's eye primer. I actually bought some I've yet to open.  During a 50% off sale I threw one in my basket to help get to the minimum for free ship.   That's 3 products mentioned here, which I  have & will try 1st before running out to buy something.  Not counting sample sizes of various primers with purchase to play with.

eta- I'll be reporting back if I find a good solution for these old eyes. I'll be 61in May.  I still don't know how that happened so fast. Smiley Surprised

Frequent Contributor

I use Urban Decay primer potion.  It's fantastic and have used it for years.  Eye shadow stays put until I remove it.

Honored Contributor

ELF works just fine on my 63 year old eyes.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks ladies...it's nice to know that just because we are 50+ we don't have to sacrifice EVERYTHING for the sake of our maturity!