Honored Contributor

Re: Qvc, I challenge you to disclose which cosmetic brands are cruelty free

On 2/19/2014 TY said:

A good source to read the ingredient deck for IT Cosmetics as well as some prestige and a lot of drug store brands is Ulta.com as they do list ingredients. If you like the IT Cosmetics CC cream it contains snail secretion extract so where does that come from and how is it obtained?

I don't think that Dalton Cosmetics uses carmine in any of their makeup, I looked at the various lipstick and glosses from that line that I own and they aren't listed on there or on past orders that I printed out from The Shopping Channel. Alas TSC isn't going to be carrying this line anymore.

I was surprised when I looked at some new IT Cosmetics that some glosses contained carmine in them.

YBF Beauty sold on HSN and TSC has carmine in some of their eyeshadows when I looked at the ingredient deck listed on The Shopping Channel's website.

Some Pur Minerals products contain carmine and so do Skinn Cosmetics looking at the ingredient deck on The Shopping Channel's website too.

I was surprised that some of Paula's Choice lipsticks contain or may contain carmine after looking at the ingredient deck listed on her website. I know she's cruelty free in most areas of her skin care and makeup line and she doesn't carry a lot of makeup anymore but why use carmine at all since it's derived from beetle shells?

I get why some companies are reluctant to list ingredients but I certainly would not be happy if I bought something and it turned out that it did contain carmine and I didn't know that. QVC is probably one of the worst for listing ingredients in their beauty lines.

Unfortunately, the definition of "cruelty free" does not encompass the absence of killing animals for ingredients. So a company can claim cruelty free yet still use ingredients in their products that require killing animals. IT cosmetics have at least a few ingredients that are derived from animals and yet they still get the cruelty free logo. I am not sure why we think cruelty free should EXCLUDE killing animals for ingredients because isn't that the ultimate in cruelty- killing? I think many many people think that cruelty free means no animals were killed in the making of the product but that is so completely far from the truth.

So I should always say that when I avoid products that aren't cruelty free, I also include products that don't contain animal derived ingredients.

Super Contributor

On 2/19/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 2/19/2014 vmnsc said:
On 12/30/2013 HappyDaze said:
On 12/29/2013 evelomaddict said:

i guess we could try for a new thread once the new year starts.

maybe we could start one that's ongoing, where we can discuss animal friendly companies and share our finds, product reviews, etc?

that would be fun. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Yes, that would be fun! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I'm with both of you on this new thread. It would be nice to check the thread & see which products are "honestly" cruelty free & have a chance to talk about the products.

I've thought alot about this but there are always those out there that will try to derail it with the usual type comments every time we discuss cruelty free products. I suppose you can't avoid it but if a thread is started, I hope people won't get into back and forths with people about their choices, if that makes sense? It would be sooo nice to have a fun thread with cruelty free and animal derived ingredient free products, beauty or otherwise! Smile

I agree with you but it would be nice to maybe learn something about a product and discuss it.
Respected Contributor

On 2/19/2014 vmnsc said:
On 2/19/2014 vmnsc said:

maybe we could start one that's ongoing, where we can discuss animal friendly companies and share our finds, product reviews, etc?

I'm with both of you on this new thread. It would be nice to check the thread & see which products are "honestly" cruelty free & have a chance to talk about the products.

I've thought alot about this but there are always those out there that will try to derail it with the usual type comments every time we discuss cruelty free products. I suppose you can't avoid it but if a thread is started, I hope people won't get into back and forths with people about their choices, if that makes sense? It would be sooo nice to have a fun thread with cruelty free and animal derived ingredient free products, beauty or otherwise! Smile

I agree with you but it would be nice to maybe learn something about a product and discuss it.

I would be interested in this type of thread. I am only starting to go down this path so am new but am starting to research other types of animal free products as well. I think it would be great to have a collective place to discuss these products. I am going to replace things as I finish things.

If the naysayers come along, I hope that doesnt disway from the conversation about the products. They are free to use whatever they like. There is no point in debating it.

I look forward to the new thread if one is started.

Occasional Contributor

On 2/19/2014 vmnsc said:

Count me in. I've viewed undercover videos on what they do to puppies (mainly Beagle breed, for some reason) No wonder they whimper an cry when the lab tech reaches in to get them!!!

Super Contributor

Companies can claim to be "cruelty free" BUT that does not mean that the company that MADE the raw ingredients in the firts place are cruelty free. All the cosmetic companies get their ingredients from other companies. Kind of like a NO KILL shelter DOES NOT kill dogs, but they do "pass" the dogs along to opther shelters, thus preserving their claim of being "NO KILL" same thing with companies. HARD TO KNOW if the whole long line of manufacture is "cruelty free" and not just the end company

Occasional Contributor

I am so glad someone has finally voiced something that I have been thinking about for such a long time. I just saw this so I guess I didn't realize it has been going for so long. Why does caring about cruelty and torture of animals have one thing to do with caring for people. Can't you do both? Can't you care about both? Companies that are cruelty-free: Tarte, Josie Maran, Dr Denese, Laura Geller, Mally, IT and others that perhaps I'm not aware of. Bobbie Brown, Bare Minerals, Strivectin, Peter Thomas Roth, Smashbox and many more, these companies used to care and then were bought by large conglomerates who sell in China. They are no longer cruelty free. It's all on line. The companies who don't animal test should be recognized for their commitment to cruelty-free beauty by us, the consumer, but QVC will never do that because it would damage their bottom line. Therefore, we have to take on the responsibility ourselves and yes, we can still care about our human family and the environment. It just makes us better as stewards of this planet to take care of creatures who have no choices and rely on us. We don't have to choose. We can do both.