Honored Contributor

Re: Question re shimmer eyeshadow

Ok, think I have a flat brush - as opposed to a fluffy one - somewhere in my brush stash.  Will look for it and try that and do the pat and press method.  Ugh, I'm not giving up on the shimmers just yet!  LOL

Trusted Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@decaf - it doesn't seem to matter the brand of eyeshadow palette - it happened with TARTE and Natasha Denona.  The shimmers don't look glittery to me.  I'll try moistening a brush and applying that way to see if it helps.  If not, oh well, at least the palettes I have, have lots of mattes so it won't be a loss if I can't use the shimmers.  Just kind of sad though.  

@JudyL  Shimmers are usually pretty subtle. Do they actually have large 'chunks' of glitter in the pan? Those should definitely show on the eyelid

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@JudyL wrote:

@decaf - it doesn't seem to matter the brand of eyeshadow palette - it happened with TARTE and Natasha Denona.  The shimmers don't look glittery to me.  I'll try moistening a brush and applying that way to see if it helps.  If not, oh well, at least the palettes I have, have lots of mattes so it won't be a loss if I can't use the shimmers.  Just kind of sad though.  

@JudyL  Shimmers are usually pretty subtle. Do they actually have large 'chunks' of glitter in the pan? Those should definitely show on the eyelid

@decaf They are definitely shimmers - no big "chunks" of anything in them.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL 

My eyes are very deep set.  I use this primer.  Your issue may be anything on your lids before the primer goes on.  

To keep from having fallout, I use the little foam eyeshadow brushes.

Two Faced Eyeshadow Primer

Too Faced Shadow Insurance Eye Shadow Primer 0.35 Oz/ 11 G

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JudyL wrote:

Seems my eyes don't like shimmers much.  They seem to get irritated and water.  Think its the fallout when I'm applying it.  Been applying with my finger.  They also seem to disappear on my eyelids pretty fast - doesn't matter whether its TARTE or ND or any other brand.

I do use an eye primer and have a base shadow on so I'm not putting them on bare eyelids so to speak.  

Do you think maybe dampening finger/brush with water would help?  I did see Allie Glines put shimmer on her eyeshadow brush then lightly spray it with setting spray.  Wonder if that would help?

Thoughts?  Don't want to not be able to use all my pretty new shimmers!

@JudyL   If you're eyes are getting irritated or water, the last thing you want on your brush or eyes is a setting spray. Have you tried placing the shimmer shadow in a patting motion directly after the primer dries...no setting shadow? Shimmers are difficult to swipe on...patting on better. A flat shadow brush is helpful.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL 

No definitely not a new technique.  I've used my fingers most of my makeup wearing days.  It's just been in the last couple of years I've used brushes and I'm making a full circle back to fingers.  A spritz with setting spray helps and I use it with brushes, sponge tip and fingers.  Most of my shadows are shimmers.  Do NOT like glitters and they're dangerous for one's eyes.

Respected Contributor

@JudyL 1. Have you tried a different primer? You may just not have the one that works for you.

2. Definitely try the flatter brush & try patting the shadow on, but I don't feel like you should get that much fallout from Tarte (I love their shadows! I don't have any ND.), so you may want to try another primer or a cream shadow that will have more of a sticky base.

3. I love cream shadow sticks (Laura Mercier, Nudestix, Bobbi Brown, etc). You get a beautiful shimmer shadow with none of the fallout. I don't use primer under mine. I apply those sticks to my lid & crease & blend them up & soften the edges with my Mac #252 brush & I can be done. Liner & mascara. Or I can add powder shadows to get a different look.

4. Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

Honored Contributor

@decaf 

I hope you ladies aren't putting glitter on your eyelids Smiley Sad  It WILL sooner or later end up in your eye.  It can just be an irritant or it can scratch your cornea Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@decaf 

I hope you ladies aren't putting glitter on your eyelids Smiley Sad  It WILL sooner or later end up in your eye.  It can just be an irritant or it can scratch your cornea Smiley Sad

@monicakm  No glitter for me.!  My eyes are sooo sensitive, allergic to most common e/s chemicals, there's hardly any mattes I can wear. Lol.

Respected Contributor

@JudyL  I agree with the others that patting on with a flat brush just might work for you. Make sure you tap off excess shadow fallout before applying. I have always patted on the shimmers on my lids. Some shimmers have more fallout than others.