Honored Contributor

Question re shimmer eyeshadow

Seems my eyes don't like shimmers much.  They seem to get irritated and water.  Think its the fallout when I'm applying it.  Been applying with my finger.  They also seem to disappear on my eyelids pretty fast - doesn't matter whether its TARTE or ND or any other brand.

I do use an eye primer and have a base shadow on so I'm not putting them on bare eyelids so to speak.  

Do you think maybe dampening finger/brush with water would help?  I did see Allie Glines put shimmer on her eyeshadow brush then lightly spray it with setting spray.  Wonder if that would help?

Thoughts?  Don't want to not be able to use all my pretty new shimmers!

Respected Contributor

Re: Question re shimmer eyeshadow

Shimmer or glitter?  I love shimmer and I don't have any fallout.  Glitter definitely has fallout and I won't wear it. I bought a beautiful eye shadow and didn't realize it was more glitter than shimmer and of course cannot wear it because it ends up all over my face.

Good luck in your search for an answer.  I use younique eyelid primer and I swear it's like glue for your shadows.  Your shadow will not come off, even if you sleep in it.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

Seems my eyes don't like shimmers much.  They seem to get irritated and water.  Think its the fallout when I'm applying it.  Been applying with my finger.  They also seem to disappear on my eyelids pretty fast - doesn't matter whether its TARTE or ND or any other brand.

I do use an eye primer and have a base shadow on so I'm not putting them on bare eyelids so to speak.  

Do you think maybe dampening finger/brush with water would help?  I did see Allie Glines put shimmer on her eyeshadow brush then lightly spray it with setting spray.  Wonder if that would help?

Thoughts?  Don't want to not be able to use all my pretty new shimmers!

Like an artist's brushes, I find the result is dependent upon the tools used. I use Bobbi Brown brushes now after having tried some less expensive brushes..house brand at Sephora. World of difference!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why are you using your finger to apply?

Your finger can't catch all the shadow and you are probably putting more in your eye than on your lid.

I would suggest a foam applicator for shimmer vs a brush.  The foam will absorb the shadow and let you apply equally on the lid.

p,s,  I used to use my fingers for my entire face, then I have makeup sponges and a good set of brushes...you can't believe the difference it makes with proper tools for the proper job.

Ever paint a bedroom or livingroom, buy a cheap paint brush and you get a cheap paint brush look on your walls, same with your face.  Buy a good set of brushes, they'll last you a long time as long as you take care of them and you'll be happy with the results.

Trusted Contributor

@JudyL  The more shimmer and glitter in an e/s, the more irritating it is, especially for middle age and older eyes. It's usually due to the increased amount of mica. Using your finger should be ok. Or try spraying your brush with setting spray and finishwith a spritz of spray on your closed eyes when you're done. Which brand and palette is causing this?

Tarte is.definitely not the safe and mild brand they make it out to be, it has lots of bad ingredients. Or you might be allergic to the mica or another ingredient in that shadow.  I have allergies to many eyeshadows so I know how bad that feels, let us know  

if you find a solution.  Be well.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling and @Trinity11 - I use good quality brushes already.  Thanks for the suggestions though.  I've heard many time on beauty videos and here to apply shimmer with your finger so its not a new technique.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@Just Bling and @Trinity11 - I use good quality brushes already.  Thanks for the suggestions though.  I've heard many time on beauty videos and here to apply shimmer with your finger so its not a new technique.

@JudyL You aren't having luck with using your finger, so I suggested a brush. The only influencer I watch is Andrea Ali. She uses brushes...

Honored Contributor

@decaf - it doesn't seem to matter the brand of eyeshadow palette - it happened with TARTE and Natasha Denona.  The shimmers don't look glittery to me.  I'll try moistening a brush and applying that way to see if it helps.  If not, oh well, at least the palettes I have, have lots of mattes so it won't be a loss if I can't use the shimmers.  Just kind of sad though.  

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 - it was a good suggestion and I appreciate it.  Will definitely try it.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL Try a flat brush and pat/press it across your lid rather than swiping.