Contributor

Question for users of L'Oreal Magic Root Cover Up Spray

I started using this product about 1 year ago to cover up some slight thinning of hair on the top of my head. I love the product for that purpose. I use it everyday but only wash my hair every other day. But, my hair thinning seems to be getting worse over this past year. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem too. The product lays "heavy" on the scalp and it stays put on the scalp until you wash it off. Could this product be laying on top of the hair follicles and not letting new hairs to come up?  I have no rash or irritation from this product.

I've Googled to see if any complaints are out on the internet about this issue and I find nothing. The woman who cuts my hair didn't think it would cause that kind of problem. I even called the company to see if they have had any complaints and she claimed they didn't. All my labs are normal. I'm in my mid 50's and on HRT. It just seems suspicious that the problem has gotten worse during the time I've been using it.  Any suggestions are welcome. TIA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for users of L'Oreal Magic Root Cover Up Spray

[ Edited ]
  1. @gail n 

The only way you can find out for sure is to stop using the product and see if 

your hair growth gets any better.  The older I get the more aware of this issue being very common for women and basically unspoken.

You can check for other culprits: sulfates, heat styling, rollers, brushing your hair, dye, shampoo, silicone styling tools like the calista,  hot rollers, medicines, vitamins , fish oils, hats, sun exposure, ect.  Putting a stop to some of this abuse may help ease the problem.

Contributor

The lady that cuts my hair sees no breakage and I don't have a lot of shedding. It's more that the hair isn't coming back in. I'm seeing a dermatologist, endocrinologist (I'm hypo but labs are good) and allergist but no clear answer. It's just strange that I would be the only person having a problem with the product. I need to use something for coverage so that's what keeps me using it and why stop using it if no one else is complaining and it may just be a coincidence that the thinning has gotten worse while using the spray. But I have thought of stopping as you have suggested. Thank you for your response.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe give Toppik a try instead of the L'Oreal Magic Root Cover up Spray and see how that goes. I've used the L'Oreal Magic Root Coverup Spray and like ot better than Clairol's spray or Schwarzkopf's spray as the nozzle sprayer is better and you don't get random spray dots on your wall like Clairol or Schwarzkopf.

Sally Beauty sells Toppik.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You said all tests were normal, but I must ask anyway because it could have been overlooked.  Was a biopsy done on your scalp to determine why you're losing your hair?  Depending on where you're losing it...similar to men, you might have female pattern baldness.  It used to be called male pattern baldness for women.

If so, use Rogaine or one of the lazer products.

Is your thyroid normal, low normal?  Hypothyroidism causes hair loss.  

If you are washing your hair every other day and not caking the L'Oreal powder on, it shouldn't interfere with hair growth.   

Trusted Contributor

I second the suggestion to use some type of hair growth product on your thinning hair. My edges tend to thin so I use an item called temple balm.  It takes a few weeks to work but it does work.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Super Contributor

I would have your DHEA levels checked. My hair at my bangs and temples was thinning. My dr presceribed 50 mg a day. It seems to be helping. 

Honored Contributor

I have been using Toppik for the last 11 years, it is the best topical solution cover up for thinning hair. 

Respected Contributor

I bought it but never used it for it was too dark

Occasional Visitor

All the replies you have received have merit.  But I also have been experience significant hair loss since using L'Orèal Magic Root Cover Up spray.  I've been using it for about a year now, and slowly noticed hair loss.  Then suddenly this past month, the hair loss has become noticable along my hairline and top of my head where I use the spray the most, as that is where regrowth of the gray hair shows the most and I tend to use the Root Cover Up Spray the most in those areas.  I suppose we should research all ingredients.