Honored Contributor

Re: Question for those with normal/dry skin about makeup

[ Edited ]

I forgot to mention a product I like to use on my dry skin, especially when it gets a little flaky after using Retin-A for a few days. I use these muslin cloths made by ecotools. You get two and they are made with a blend of organic cotton and bamboo which has been found to be naturally anti-bacterial. The logo tag on these cloths serves as a convenient hanging loop. These cloths are very effective and you really don't need to use them everyday...they are that good at removing stuff.  There is a simple  technique to follow when using cloths like this so I recommend looking for a video by Eve Lom (her brand of cloth 'Eve Lom') to show you how. You do not want to scrub back and forth with these cloths. Wipe in one direction only, using a single layer of cloth...not folded. With continued use, my skin is so clean, flake free and feels like glass...no chemicals, no grit.

ecotools Muslin Cloths - around $4 to $7,  (iHerb has lowest price)

71GhikxawDL._SL1000_.jpg

Respected Contributor

@@SilleeMee  Super thanks!  I did pick up some of those microfiber face cloths that are supposed to take makeup off with just water.  They do great for cleaning, but not really exfoliating.  I'll have to check these out.  I've seen muslin cloths with many oil/cream based cleaners.  These should be good too!

Today I woke to a few pimples.  One is just under the skin like cystic acne.  Oh, how I hope it isn't.  I've got some sulfur-based treatment for them, so that goes on tonight!  Another one is just under my nose in the little crack where the nose meets the skin. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tigriss,   If you are using something to make your skin dry, stop.  If not, I use Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer oil-free and your skin shines through so it's not like you are wearing a foundation. Sometimes I apply her translucent powder or setting powder that is so finely milled you don't know you are wearing powder. What has helped my skin tremendously is Pop Sonic's Leaflet that I bought at QVC.  It cleaned out my pores the first couple of days and then settled down.  After I cleanse my skin, I dry off and apply Josie's Argan Milk (LOVE this product).  Sometimes I will take a drop of Marula oil and rub in my hands and pat on my face.  I only layer 2 products no more.  I usually just use the Argan Milk and you don't need much.  I love the way it feels on my skin.  My skin is normal now.  I use to have a little dryness in the winter but with my skincare regimen, I no longer have that problem.  I am in my mid 60's. Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

It was drilled into my head from my teenage years that if you don't moisturize, that's when wrinkles form.  I always use moisturizer - day and night.  In the morning after showering, I make sure to use a moisturizer on my face that contains a sunscreen (either Perricone or Josie Maran) and then my regular makeup follows.  Primers don't work for me so I just apply the SPF moisturizer and then my liquid makeup and then the rest.  

Respected Contributor

My skin is dry and I never skip a moisturizer. In fact I use my serum, an oil (currently using Perlier Almond), moisturizer and then a SPF. I always used a primer but a makeup artist told me that the primer is a waste of money. She said that's for people who have bad skin to smooth it out. I thought that she was nuts but decided to try my foundation without a primer. It stayed on all day without fading. Make sure that you let each layer dry. Also let your foundation set for about 5 minutes before applying blush and powder. BTW I do set mine with a setting spray and a light dusting of powder. My setting spray right now that I like is Urban Decay Chill. Great for dry skin.