Respected Contributor

Question for the "health conscious" beauty --

Re: Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

PTR just came out with a new Rose stem cell cleanser which I immediately wanted to buy (my skin LOVES anything w/rose). However, one of the first ingredients is SLS.

Now, what do I do? I've been trying to keep OFF that stuff!!! Anyone else staying off SLS?

Honestly, I am so disappointed he is using that in this cleanser!

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for the ""health conscious"" beauty --

I often will use a Suave for my hair with SLS, but I don't have any hair issues. For my facial skin, though, I would rather steer clear. It is too alkaline for one thing...? But is supposed to be drying. On one site, I read, "it cleans by corrosion." Smiley Happy

Don't ask me! I have no idea why something has to foam on the skin in order to cleanse!

If you write to PTR, I think they have somewhat of a reputation for not answering thoroughly, let alone promptly!

Respected Contributor

On 8/5/2014 Harpa said:

I often will use a Suave for my hair with SLS, but I don't have any hair issues. For my facial skin, though, I would rather steer clear. It is too alkaline for one thing...? But is supposed to be drying. On one site, I read, "it cleans by corrosion." Smiley Happy

Don't ask me! I have no idea why something has to foam on the skin in order to cleanse!

If you write to PTR, I think they have somewhat of a reputation for not answering thoroughly, let alone promptly!

I hate to say it, but I'm very disappointed that he would use this. (First two ingredients: water & sodium laureth sulfate). Makes it seem like he doesn't care. Seems he could've used something else. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I'm not going to get it.

Honestly, my skin & hair have improved since I stopped using harsh sulfates & parabens. I used to think it was hogwash, but it does make a difference.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor

Acne.com has SLS listed as a bad ingredient for skin.

Honored Contributor

I don't use SLS for anything- hair and body- and haven't in a long time. My skin and hair are happier since avoiding it! I am surprised he is using it given how drying it can be. If this is a facial cleanse, you might want to try Andalou Naturals 1000 roses cleansing foam. I haven't tried it but I do use their roses CC cream and their roses Moroccan beauty oil and love both and yes they have a light rose scent. Smiley Happy

http://andalou.com/index.php/1000-roses-cleansing-foam.html

Super Contributor

My scalp was breaking out and stopped when I stopped using SLS. I don't use it on my skin because it dries it out.

Honored Contributor

I checked the ingredient deck on his website and it does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate, it contains sodium laureth sulfate (SLES). They're not the same thing and SLES is not a harsh surfactant like SLS.

If you're going to make a point of avoiding something, you should be more cautious about identifying it correctly.

You can read more about SLES here: http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/sodium-laureth-sulfate

Honored Contributor

I stopped using for facial cleansers, body washes & shampoos. Once in a while I will use a shampoo with it but since being on this forum, I realized it dries your skin and I have not had dry skin face & body since I stopped.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

On 8/5/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I checked the ingredient deck on his website and it does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate, it contains sodium laureth sulfate (SLES). They're not the same thing and SLES is not a harsh surfactant like SLS.

If you're going to make a point of avoiding something, you should be more cautious about identifying it correctly.

You can read more about SLES here: http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/sodium-laureth-sulfate

I read this thread earlier and returned to is just now to figure out which sodium sulfate was the one in the product because I would have been surprised at a quality brand using sodium lauryl sulfate in its cleanser; it can be a bit harsh and drying. I'm glad that you double-checked and saved me time. Smile

Unfortunately, we tend to use "SLS" to refer to both when we should use SLS for the harsher one and SLES for the milder one.

Some prefer to avoid either in their skin- and hair care products, but that may be a function of not knowing that they are dissimilar in terms of effect on the skin or hair.

I am not aware of any credible, scientific conclusion that either of these two sulfates poses any risk to our health.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

On 8/5/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 8/5/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I checked the ingredient deck on his website and it does not contain sodium lauryl sulfate, it contains sodium laureth sulfate (SLES). They're not the same thing and SLES is not a harsh surfactant like SLS.<br /> <br /> If you're going to make a point of avoiding something, you should be more cautious about identifying it correctly.<br /> <br /> You can read more about SLES here: http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/sodium-laureth-sulfate

I read this thread earlier and returned to is just now to figure out which sodium sulfate was the one in the product because I would have been surprised at a quality brand using sodium lauryl sulfate in its cleanser; it can be a bit harsh and drying. I'm glad that you double-checked and saved me time. Smile

Unfortunately, we tend to use "SLS" to refer to both when we should use SLS for the harsher one and SLES for the milder one.

Some prefer to avoid either in their skin- and hair care products, but that may be a function of not knowing that they are dissimilar in terms of effect on the skin or hair.

I am not aware of any credible, scientific conclusion that either of these two sulfates poses any risk to our health.

Fabulous! Thanks for the clarification. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}