Honored Contributor

Re: Question for hair stylists regarding highlights and toner

@Theresa1121 wrote:

This was my first color with her in two years or so as I left because of it and came back as I love how she cuts it. I am timid I guess but did discuss it by saying I didn't understand why she used toner as other salons use the blue bleach and sometimes low lights and no toner. As I said, she replied with, to get the color right. I could not say, well it is supposed to be right in the first place. It looked subtle in her salon under the overhead light but now I feel it is barely noticable at the tune of $175. 

vote with your wallet, there are many good colorists out there. just harder to find 

almost $200 and not be happy isn't worth it, 

Respected Contributor

@Theresa1121 wrote:

It really doesn't even look like it was highlighted as I think she uses a brownish toner. Once the toner wears off, it is brassy. As some replied, I agree toner is used to adjust the color and I even asked her about why she uses it. at $175 plus tip for color and cut I should love it.

I have terriblly thick hair with a slight odd wave and I cannot change stylists.  I left her two years ago because of this color issue and had the worst haircuts ever.

She is really a "funky" stylist and does a lot of the bright colors etc. and maybe just not used to me who came from frosting with a cap for highlights back in the day! lol

Ok, get it...it's tricky to leave, especially when you find someone who cuts your hair well.  I'd just keep her for cut and not color...but if it's going to be uncomfortable for you to do that, I get it. I hope you can work it out with her.

She should be able to figure out how to give you the color you want without toner. Using toner, as others have said too, in my experience, is only used as a last effort to correct things, not as the usual process of coloring. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just a suggestion...

but I always bring pictures (on my phone) of cut/color when visiting my stylist. 

That way if things don't turn out the way in which you wanted, your stylist should be obligated to "fix it". 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Theresa1121 wrote:

It really doesn't even look like it was highlighted as I think she uses a brownish toner. Once the toner wears off, it is brassy. As some replied, I agree toner is used to adjust the color and I even asked her about why she uses it. at $175 plus tip for color and cut I should love it.

I have terriblly thick hair with a slight odd wave and I cannot change stylists.  I left her two years ago because of this color issue and had the worst haircuts ever.

She is really a "funky" stylist and does a lot of the bright colors etc. and maybe just not used to me who came from frosting with a cap for highlights back in the day! lol

@Theresa1121   Just a thought, what about instead of highlights, you just lightened your haircolor a shade or two? Much less complicated and should be less money for a step process.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Theresa1121 wrote:

@Theresa1121   Just a thought, what about instead of highlights, you just lightened your haircolor a shade or two? Much less complicated and should be less money for a step process.

good thought but would you think her stylist is the person to do that 

Valued Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Theresa1121 wrote:

Former stylist here. Bleach will always damage hair in some way and usually makes it feel different. If bleach is left on too long, it can cause a lot of damage. We've all seen people whose bleached hair looks like straw and doesn't have any shine or style.  Just imagine using clorox on a good blouse. 

Hair has to be bleached for it to accept the toner. Bleach opens the hair cuticle and removes the existing color.  Toner would look different if done on regular hair because it has to fight with existing color and get through closed cuticle..and it would easily wash out. To get highlights and lowlights, different shades of toner have to be used on bleached hair. 

If you don't want to bleach, you can just color your hair instead of going for highlights and lowlights. But coloring your hair can make it feel different too.

I think that is why she uses this method as not to do damage to my hair with letting the bleach do all the work? Yes, the next step is coloring my hair as I am 66 but very lucky only slight gray in my temples and some in my hairline which so far can be camoflauged with blonde highlights.

Valued Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Theresa1121 wrote:

This was my first color with her in two years or so as I left because of it and came back as I love how she cuts it. I am timid I guess but did discuss it by saying I didn't understand why she used toner as other salons use the blue bleach and sometimes low lights and no toner. As I said, she replied with, to get the color right. I could not say, well it is supposed to be right in the first place. It looked subtle in her salon under the overhead light but now I feel it is barely noticable at the tune of $175. 

It sounds like she didn't use the color of toner you really wanted. I'm sorry you aren't happy with it. 

That is exactly it and she didn't really discuss what she was using. I did say when arriving I liked a cool beigy tone and not golden highlights.

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Theresa1121 wrote:

Yes, I am moving toward this as hair is getting more gray and hopefully will be retired next year and this expense will no be doable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Theresa1121 wrote:

@jackthebear   Of course, that goes without saying. Haircoloring at home never went great for me.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Theresa1121 wrote:

@jackthebear   Of corse, that goes without saying. Haircoloring at home never went great for me.

i did it for years, and there is a reason that we pay people to do this,