Valued Contributor

Question for hair stylists regarding highlights and toner

I love how my hair stylist cuts my hair but highlights are so disappointing. I have medium brown hair, chin length and like  partial blonde highlights and sometimes get lowlights as well.

This stylist uses a blue bleach to lighten and then always uses a toner afterward. I did ask her last week why this is used as I have never experienced this before and she said because it is to get the color right. I said doesn't the toner wash out and she said if it does she will tone at next haircut. I also feel it gives my hair an odd texture. 

I pay a lot for her service but don't understand why she uses this method. I want to continue to go there and would feel awkward going someplace else for color .

Advice please.

Respected Contributor

Re: Question for hair stylists regarding highlights and toner

I did a ton of highlights back in the day and never used a toner because I got the color right to begin with. A toner will tone down any brassiness that might come with using the bleach but I always bleached the hair light enough on mine and others so the color was perfect although it does take a few shampoo's for the hair to tone down just a little with a new color. 

Do you like your color after the toner wears off you didn't really say. If she charges a ton for the toner I would leave it off and get you a bottle of the roux rinse and do it yourself for the first couple of shampoo's. I know they charge a fortune for color nowadays. The roux rinse washes out after each shampoo.

Honored Contributor

@Theresa1121 wrote:

I love how my hair stylist cuts my hair but highlights are so disappointing. I have medium brown hair, chin length and like  partial blonde highlights and sometimes get lowlights as well.

This stylist uses a blue bleach to lighten and then always uses a toner afterward. I did ask her last week why this is used as I have never experienced this before and she said because it is to get the color right. I said doesn't the toner wash out and she said if it does she will tone at next haircut. I also feel it gives my hair an odd texture. 

I pay a lot for her service but don't understand why she uses this method. I want to continue to go there and would feel awkward going someplace else for color .

Advice please.

sounds like she isn't getting the color right in the first place, some are good at the color and some good at cutting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Theresa1121 wrote:

Advice please.

@Theresa1121   Certainly not a stylist, but if your hair is an odd texture after the highlights, isn't it because of the bleach and not the toner? When my hair was dark, I'd have highlights a few shades lighter put around my face. The bleach always damaged those sections of hair. The toner, as explained to me, was to get the lightened (bleached hair) color to a medium brown or whatever color requested for the highlights...caramel, reddish, or a purple toner for blonde highlights. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've gotten highlights for years, with bleach not color. My hairdresser to this day was the woman who owned her own hairdressing school and is an expert colorist.

She's taught me a lot of how it all works, because she was a "teacher" at heart too.

In my experience...the few times I had to go somewhere else during my time with her, toners were only used to "fix" something. Your stylist can't admit not knowing her stuff enough to get it "right", so she's telling you all this...this should not be.

Don't feel funny about finding someone who knows their stuff, comes highly recommended (do a few "consultations" usually free, with other colorists.)

In my case...Before I found my current sylist of 30 years, I had blonde hair that had darkened and gone a bit "dishwater blonde" that didn't have enough golden pigment in it anymore to give it the warm blonde highlights I wanted...so when other sylists highlighted with bleach...it would just come up too dull, kind of old school "frosted." My current stylist, who first "taught a class" on my head then became my colorist...showed that we had to actually put in some color first at my base, then highlight on top of that to get the warm, golden highlights I wanted.  Often this is done now.

That toner after highlight thing is an old school "fix" and like I said...not the way to go.

Ask around, get a new consultation....find a better colorist...in my experience...this one will just continue to "defend herself" as that's just only what she knows how to do..

Plenty of great colorists out there! ...but it can take some searching...I wish you good luck in your search~you should get what you WANT and what you pay for!!

Honored Contributor

Instead of speculation, why dont you just ask her?  Tell her you are not satisfied with the results.  How is she to know you dont like it if you dont tell her?

@Theresa1121 

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

It really doesn't even look like it was highlighted as I think she uses a brownish toner. Once the toner wears off, it is brassy. As some replied, I agree toner is used to adjust the color and I even asked her about why she uses it. at $175 plus tip for color and cut I should love it.

I have terriblly thick hair with a slight odd wave and I cannot change stylists.  I left her two years ago because of this color issue and had the worst haircuts ever.

She is really a "funky" stylist and does a lot of the bright colors etc. and maybe just not used to me who came from frosting with a cap for highlights back in the day! lol

Honored Contributor

@Theresa1121 wrote:

Former stylist here. Bleach will always damage hair in some way and usually makes it feel different. If bleach is left on too long, it can cause a lot of damage. We've all seen people whose bleached hair looks like straw and doesn't have any shine or style.  Just imagine using clorox on a good blouse. 

Hair has to be bleached for it to accept the toner. Bleach opens the hair cuticle and removes the existing color.  Toner would look different if done on regular hair because it has to fight with existing color and get through closed cuticle..and it would easily wash out. To get highlights and lowlights, different shades of toner have to be used on bleached hair. 

If you don't want to bleach, you can just color your hair instead of going for highlights and lowlights. But coloring your hair can make it feel different too.

Valued Contributor

This was my first color with her in two years or so as I left because of it and came back as I love how she cuts it. I am timid I guess but did discuss it by saying I didn't understand why she used toner as other salons use the blue bleach and sometimes low lights and no toner. As I said, she replied with, to get the color right. I could not say, well it is supposed to be right in the first place. It looked subtle in her salon under the overhead light but now I feel it is barely noticable at the tune of $175. 

Honored Contributor

@Theresa1121 wrote:

This was my first color with her in two years or so as I left because of it and came back as I love how she cuts it. I am timid I guess but did discuss it by saying I didn't understand why she used toner as other salons use the blue bleach and sometimes low lights and no toner. As I said, she replied with, to get the color right. I could not say, well it is supposed to be right in the first place. It looked subtle in her salon under the overhead light but now I feel it is barely noticable at the tune of $175. 

It sounds like she didn't use the color of toner you really wanted. I'm sorry you aren't happy with it.