Honored Contributor

I hope someone can give me some general advice.  I have been coloring my hair for eons.  I was a natural blonde as a child and as most blondes, my hark darened over time to a dark dishwater color.  Not very attractive in my opinion!  So, I went back to a really fairly light shade of blonde.  I have been thinking of letting it grow out.  Although at this stage, my hair appears to be a lighter mousy dishwater color with a lot of gray througout.  

Here are some things I am thinking about and asking for your opinion:

First, if I let it grow out ---which will not look that great while it's happening --- but now adays people are going about with 2 toned hair, big dark roots on purpose and other assorted things --- so maybe it won't be as bad as I think!

After it grows out, do you think it would look nice if I got lighter blonde streaks through it? And if so, would there be a kit that I could do it myself?  I have always colored my hair myself and prefer doing so.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed would be appreciated!

I am not convinced at this point that I will be happy not being blonde!    I am old -- 65 --- but don't want to look any older than I am!  LOL!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

Re: Question for beauticians

[ Edited ]

Hi. Former beautician here and I have been growing my grey hair out for nearly two years. I think it would be difficult for you to touch up you highlights yourself. You'd need to match the roots with the bleached hair. The back would be really difficult. I wouldn't even attempt this on myself. 

I don't think your hair will look so bad since it's very light. Your line of demarcation won't be a harsh as it would be if your hair was dark. The first few months were the hardest for me. I just looked like I was in bad need of a touch up. Once it became obvious I was growing it out it was much better. I noticed lots of women growing theirs out too. You can always decide later if you want to add blonde highlights back in once you grow it out and you've gone though the plain of growing it out and your hair becomes almost maintence free I don't think you will go back. My grey highlights are the most beautiful highlights I've ever had! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a beautician, but just went through the process of letting the not my color grow out.

I put up with the various stages of ugly because I wasn't willing to go with a Jamie Lee Curtis pixie cut even though I do keep my hair short.  It took me 8 months.

There are days I love it and days I hate it but I'm not going back so I guess I love it more than I hate it.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

Just a comment on looking older than you are. When your hair has returned to its natural color, I would get an updated cut. Make sure you wear current, age appropriate clothing.....this makes a huge difference. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I hope someone can give me some general advice.  I have been coloring my hair for eons.  I was a natural blonde as a child and as most blondes, my hark darkened over time to a dark dishwater color.  Not very attractive in my opinion!  So, I went back to a really fairly light shade of blonde.  I have been thinking of letting it grow out.  Although at this stage, my hair appears to be a lighter mousy dishwater color with a lot of gray throughout.  

Here are some things I am thinking about and asking for your opinion:

First, if I let it grow out ---which will not look that great while it's happening --- but nowadays people are going about with 2 toned hair, big dark roots on purpose and other assorted things --- so maybe it won't be as bad as I think!

After it grows out, do you think it would look nice if I got lighter blonde streaks through it? And if so, would there be a kit that I could do it myself?  I have always colored my hair myself and prefer doing so.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed would be appreciated!

I am not convinced at this point that I will be happy not being blonde!    I am old -- 65 --- but don't want to look any older than I am!  LOL!! 

@AngelPuppy1 - here's my two cents.  First of all, you need to go to a professional and you need to be honest with her (or him) about any box color you have on your hair already so they know how to proceed.  The style you mentioned with a lot of outgrowth and blonde at the bottom is called an ombre look.  There's a technique for doing it on purpose and it's a lot different than just growing out bleached hair.  LOL  For someone our age, I would not recommend that kind of color.  IMO, it's best of the younger crowd.  

I am not a hairstylist, but my daughter is.  She is amazing at color services and I'm not just saying that because I'm her mom.  People often go to her to fix what someone else did to them.  In fact, just yesterday she told me she received a huge tip from a client who came in for a corrective color service after getting her hair done at a pretty well known salon in the area.  Apparently the stylist there didn't saturate the hair enough because the end result was very spotty color.  The client was so upset she didn't even want to go back to let them fix it, so that's how she ended up in my daughter's chair.  The client was so happy when she left, she even told my daughter she has a client for life.  As a professional, she knows about various levels/shades within a particular color range and is able to choose well based on the client's coloring, how to section the hair, doing the weave technique, getting the foils up tight to the scalp, and applying the right amount of product, etc. It's highly doubtful that a novice could do this to someone else, let alone herself, so you can see it's well worth the money for you to get the best result by going to a professional.  Ask people you know for recommendations.  

I turned 60 this year and have been getting my hair colored for probably 20 yrs.  My daughter has been doing the last 7 of those years, using a two color technique of foiling in highlights and lowlights.  The darker color matches my natural color.  Depending on the time of year, the ratio will be different if I want to be more or less blonde to show.  The foiling method makes it look more natural when the hair grows out.  That doesn't mean you can wait six months to redo it, though, either.  

Sometimes a new style/color takes a little getting used to.  Because it's different, you might start second guessing the look.  If you have too many blonde highlights put in the first time, you might feel this way with the end result.  For that reason, be sure to have a consultation with the stylist, to make sure both of you are on the same page.  You can always get more highlights put in the next time.  That said, just about anything can be fixed so don't be frightened.  If the end result truly isn't to your liking, you can return to the salon within a reasonable amount of time (a few days, but no more than a week) and have your hair redone to either add more highlights or lowlights.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Sorry. No advice, but I told my stylist when I come back, which is this Thursday, I want to start the process of going grey.

I have been coloring my hair for eons, too. 

Mine is medium/dark brown & I am just tired of fighting it.

I'm short & fat so I am sure going to a pixie cut to help out the process would not be pretty, either, but we will see.

Please, keep me updated on how you are doing.

Honored Contributor

angel---my hair color sounds just like yours! I get highlights 2x a year and my girl uses an ash blond and a red or brown highlight. My grey is at my temples but when it's colored with the ash blond--you don't see the grey as it grows out and the roots are not so noticable either. And--it looks great. I'm not a hair dresser either but have been doing my hair this way for the last few years. But go fine someone who is an expert at coloring for this--I would never attempt that myself. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for all the nice posts!  I guess there are a lot of us who have done this or are doing this!  I am still on the fence.  I would like to say for sure --- I'm done with that.  But, then I'm not certain I would be really happy with it.  I mean, I don't want to do anything to make myself look older on purpose!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Thanks for all the nice posts!  I guess there are a lot of us who have done this or are doing this!  I am still on the fence.  I would like to say for sure --- I'm done with that.  But, then I'm not certain I would be really happy with it.  I mean, I don't want to do anything to make myself look older on purpose!  

@AngelPuppy1  That's why you go to a professional.  He/she can help you with the right color selection.  Keep in mind, though, that it's not just your hair, it's the total package.  If you have a good complexion, you could probably go a little blonder whereas if your complexion has some issues that make you appear older or aging, you might want to tone the hair down to soften your overall look and create a more tasteful appearance.  It doesn't have to be a bleach blonde or all drab decision.  There's a happy medium.  I hope you find it.

Esteemed Contributor

Another dishwater blonde here.....I used to color it a light blonde, but after  I hit 60.....I decided to tone it down  after my Stylist suggested it. She puts in low lights and highlights every couple months and does my roots every 5 weeks....so I basically have 3 blended colors in my hair....Looks wonderful!!

Wish I had done it sooner......plus it is healthier for my hair