Respected Contributor

Re: Question for VIB Rouge members

This is my first year of being a Rouge. Believe me I did not set out get to that level. I have been a VIB for years. My spending this year obviously was more than I ususally do but not because I wanted to get to that Rouge Status. So mine is good to December 2016. Well I have already spent enought to qualify for Rouge until December 2017. What I have done is if I have the option of buying something somewhere else, I have opted to go to Sephora that way I earn points. It was nice having access to make my purchases last week when the Rouge sale started. Instead of waiting another week and finding that everything that I wanted was sold out which is what has happened to me when I was a VIB.

Valued Contributor

@pjoy wrote:

Why don't you like Ulta's program? I'm a VIB Rouge and get little to no benefit unless I want a bunch of cheap samples as my "rewards." With Ulta, you get CASH to spend on products you want, no restrictions. 

Well, I can only answer for myself, of course, but not only is the nearest Ulta a half hour drive away, but their coupons have so many restrictions that they can't ever be applied to anything I actually want.  And the one nearest me seems to have a lot of items that I can actually get elsewhere for less money (drug store type merchandise) so that's not much of an attraction for me.  Maybe different Ultas carry different items?

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Respected Contributor

I have 4 Ultas within 15-20 minutes of me. I'd find myself in there once or twice a week. Low stock on drugstore brands. I buy some of those brands but mostly I purchase from the prestige side, which is often excluded from the coupons. And they don't have as broad a selection of prestige brands as Sephora does. And it's true, their $3.50 coupons aren't really worth the while.
New Contributor

I'm a VIB rouge...never set out to be just sort of happened. But I feel like the BEST perk of the membership hasn't been mentioned, FREE personal beauty consultations (basically free private shopping sessions) and FREE custom makeovers. The personal beauty sessions normally cost $125 and the makeovers coat $50. The makeovers are full face makeovers done by their make up artists and the work is beautiful. You get unlimited makeovers and during wedding season the savings definitely add up!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Rachb wrote:
I have 4 Ultas within 15-20 minutes of me. I'd find myself in there once or twice a week. Low stock on drugstore brands. I buy some of those brands but mostly I purchase from the prestige side, which is often excluded from the coupons. And they don't have as broad a selection of prestige brands as Sephora does. And it's true, their $3.50 coupons aren't really worth the while.

There are four Ultas within a 5 mile radius of my home and I have quite a different perspective.  If anything, the stores have greatly improved over the past couple of years in terms of stock on the shelves, and an increase in the number of prestige brands available at more of their brick and mortar locations.  If I'm shopping in-store, the prestige brands Sephora sells which I cant get at Ulta, I prefer to use a department store counter (Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, Nars).  

Every quarter Ulta has a storewide sale in which everything -- including prestige brands -- is eligible.  The prestige discount is 15%; everything else 20%.  I use the bi-weekly coupons for buying things such as bobby pins, hair clips/barettes/headbands, nail polish remover, etc.   Furthermore by choosing Ulta to purchase some of my preferred prestige brands (Lancome, Pur Minerals, Smashbox, Peter Thomas Roth, Perricone,  Redkin haircare, my points accumulate to be used as dollars off at the register.  1000 points is $50 to spend on any day you choose, on any item in the store (no exclusions). If you redeem your points during a storewide sale event the $50 value is enhanced with everything being 15 -to-20% off.  

In theory I'm actually not a fan of rewards programs. However, the Ulta program of dollars off for dollars spent makes sense to me. Therefore, it is the place where I will continue to play the rewards program game.