Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for Skincare Junkies...?

I have some foundation that I never used, about 5 small unopened tubes of it.  I don't want to use it up, but hate to just throw it out.  Any ideas?

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Not too long ago I threw away about a dozen lippies, ones that I thought I liked in the store then once I tried them on they didn't look good. So the struggle is real and I just have to suck it up.

New Contributor

This post is so right up my alley. I am also a skincare and makeup junkie. I probably have enough to last for years without purchasing another thing. With that being said I just ordered some Tweak'd and Beekman.
Honored Contributor

I have a "neutral" line of skincare that I use when I want to try a new product; meaning, it's extremely mild, it does not cause any reaction in any way and it plays well with ALL products. The rare occasion I receive something new, I simply switch over to it and try the new product and see what happens.

I also do a sensitivity test ANY time I try something before it goes on my face; inside of my elbow. If there is a reaction, back it goes. If a sample, it gets tossed in the garbage. If a product doesn't wow me and is an eye, face or neck cream, I use it on my feet. 

I don't worry about mixing lines when it comes to eye makeup remover, eye creams or serums, face wash or lip products.

When it comes to makeup or if I receive a large GWP with products I know I'll never use or a product that I THOUGHT was great but later didn't like, I have a good friend out of state that is a makeup artist that I send it all to. She has pulled together a team that do hair, facials, nails, etc and they volunteer on the weekends at womens' shelters offering their services for free. In this case, there is no issue with products having been used. When it comes to mascara, they use disposable applicators and if it's a gwp size, the give the new mascara to the woman. It's a win-win for all.

Esteemed Contributor

Anything new that I try, due to my infatuation with ingredients, I continue to use, so long as they continue to perform. That  may set some things on the back burner; which may eventually completely fall out of favor. If that happens, I just end up tossing.

Out with the old; in with the new!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have many different lines... and mix most anything. Two days a week I use Retinol A  and that is the only day that I am more careful not to use mixed products.

I rotate what I use throughout the week but stay pretty steady on what I use.    My skin looks pretty good for 63. The dermatologist said whatever I was doing to just keep doing it as I have the skin people come to her to  achieve.....  Nice complement!    When she asked what I was using... I told her  a lot!  That I was a skin care junkie.  How could I go through my crazy routine LOL!   

(I'm really not a skin care junkie - not by my definition, anyway....)

@SeaMaidenI would love to hear what you do! Do you have some time to write it out?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Harpa wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have many different lines... and mix most anything. Two days a week I useRetinoll A  and that is the only day that I am more careful not to use mixed products.

I rotate what I use throughout the week but stay pretty steady on what I use.    My skin looks pretty good for 63. The dermatologist said whatever I was doing to just keep doing it as I have the skin people come to her to  achieve.....  Nice complement!    When she asked what I was using... I told her  a lot!  That I was a skin care junkie.  How could I go through my crazy routineLOLL!   

@SeaMaidenI would love to hear what you do! Do you have some time to write it out?

@Harpa   No, too many things😄But, I do use select items from Skinn, Isomers..Algenist....and recently  added active argon...Serious Skin Care... Perlier ....Not the entire lines...but just select items.

I have been using Argeriline  from Isomers for about 10 years which I feel has really helped with having less to no wrinkles around the eyes, no 11 lines.   I do use sunscreen year round... and daily and I wear sunglasses outside daily. Wear  SPF hats and clothing when out walking or gardening...  even on overcast days. 

I have one stubborn brown spot on my left cheek that I am trying to get rid of....that was the only reason I went to thedermm office. She did the laser twice...and I am using lightening cream on it as well. It is small....BUT IT BOTHERS ME!  I may need a third try with the laser when I go back in a month.   It is lighter....but not gone.  I guess I thought It would magically disappear😳.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Harpa wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have many different lines... and mix most anything. Two days a week I useRetinoll A  and that is the only day that I am more careful not to use mixed products.

I rotate what I use throughout the week but stay pretty steady on what I use.    My skin looks pretty good for 63. The dermatologist said whatever I was doing to just keep doing it as I have the skin people come to her to  achieve.....  Nice complement!    When she asked what I was using... I told her  a lot!  That I was a skin care junkie.  How could I go through my crazy routineLOLL!   

@Harpa   No, too many things😄But, I do use select items from Skinn, Isomers..Algenist....and recently  added active argon...Serious Skin Care... Perlier ....Not the entire lines...but just select items.

I have been using Argeriline  from Isomers for about 10 years which I feel has really helped with having less to no wrinkles around the eyes, no 11 lines.   I do use sunscreen year round... and daily and I wear sunglasses outside daily. Wear  SPF hats and clothing when out walking or gardening...  even on overcast days. 

I have one stubborn brown spot on my left cheek that I am trying to get rid of....that was the only reason I went to thedermm office. She did the laser twice...and I am using lightening cream on it as well. It is small....BUT IT BOTHERS ME!  I may need a third try with the laser when I go back in a month.   It is lighter....but not gone.  I guess I thought It would magically disappear😳.

Thank you, @SeaMaiden ! Well, I'm kind of like you in that there are things from several different lines that I use, especially for the ingredients that I think are skin performers.

I think Victoria Principal was one of the first to incorporate argireline, and while I don't use VP for that specific ingredient, I know she has that in her eye things, and that, besides her cleanser, is what I use all the time. (for example)

Besides ingredients, though, sometimes its all in the method. So ingredients used in specific method.

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I have some foundation that I never used, about 5 small unopened tubes of it.  I don't want to use it up, but hate to just throw it out.  Any ideas?

If it is unopened, you can donate them to the local woman's shelter.  My local food pantry takes unused beauty products, too.

Respected Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

I admit, I'm a skincare junkie! I love skincare, face and body! I currently have lotions and potions from several different lines. When I start using a new line, I don't mix it with other lines so I can see if I like it. I just started using Consult Beaute's Volumagen and Regenerol. In the meantime, my other products just sit. After awhile, I feel like I just have to much to ever use up! When this happens, I usually take my older facial products mix them in a brown glass bottle and use them as body care. Each time I vow not to acquire so many products. Alas, it always happens again! 😫

I was just wondering what some of you other professed skincare junkies do with to many/not completely used products? Do you toss them or have you found some other way to use and not waste them?🤔

@Starpolisher I am a skincare junkie, too.  But when I have too much, I do a NO-BUY and try to use up product.  Also, I stopped my suscription boxes and resisted to buy things just because it comes with GWP or samples.  I still have a lot of skincare products, but it is more managable now.